Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 9, 2009 4:36 PM by classycloset

I would like to open a clothing boutique in a small town

classycloset Newbie
      I live in a fairly small town that is growing, I commute 2 hours a day in my current job and I really want to quit and have my own business. We have no where to buy clothing in our town and I was thinking a small boutique might work. I was also thinking of a consignment store. Before I go any further I was hoping for some advise..
        • Re: I would like to open a clothing boutique in a small town
          phanio Pioneer
          First things first - you probably need a business plan - you can search the web and get all kinds of information regarding business plans. Or, you can find a local SBDC or SCORE office to help. The business plan will help you think about the many issues you will face as you go forward.

Second, do an informal fessibility study. Just because you might like a store in your town - does not mean that others will. Get out in your community and ask people if they will support your idea (meaning will they come to your store or if they have ideas of what they do need or want in your town). Also, check with your local chamber of commerce to see if something like this has been tried before and try to find out why it failed (so you don't make the same mistakes).

Business Money Today
          www.BusinessMoneyToday.com
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
              classycloset Newbie
              Thank you! You have been very helpful. I will get right on that business plan. I have been wanting to do this for a long time and now i'm ready to make it happen. I found a location that is only $.95 a sf right across from a high school. It gets a ton of traffic and i'm afraid to lose it, how long do you think the process would take before I am ready to actually get a building?
                  phanio Pioneer
                  It really depends on how hard you work at it. Keep in mind that you don't need a full formal business plan - just enough that you are comfortable to move ahead.

You might even think about talking to the landlord regarding the building. They may take a small down payment to hold it for you or you might even work a deal that your payment is based on your profits - thus as you do better they do better. But, in the beginning while you get the word out about your business this can keep your costs down until you start earning revenue.

One more thought - you might think about finding another retail business onwer in your area - someone that you will not compete against and ask them to be your mentor. They can really help as they better understand your town and how others do business there.

Business Money Today