Post a new topic
    5 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2009 9:44 AM by phanio

Looking to start a window washing business.. Any advice?

Patron Newbie
      I am looking into starting window washing business and I am mostly interested in the do's and dont's. I looked online and found virtually nobody in my area that has this business.
        • Re: Looking to start a window washing business.. Any advice?
          Tracker

Patron:

Can you please be more specific what do's and don'ts you are seeking answers for? Do you want to know the do's and don'ts of starting a business? Starting a window washing business specifically?

Can you please clarify?

All the Best,

Doug Dolan

The Solopreneur's Guide

http://thesologuide.com/
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            Patron Newbie
            I am more interested on what material to buy and what not to buy... Equipment... Pricing... Etc..
              Hymesdesign Adventurer
              A website might be a good idea, but I honestly think you can suceed without a website for a window washing business. The best advice I can give you though is this, tell everyone you know about your business, even drop it into conversations with strangers if it fits naturally, because you never know who people know. It's the easiest way to market yourself in the beginning, and very cost efficient, as to what equipment to buy I have no idea but I would suggest purchasing a logo and business cards, both of a professional level, being able to hand out your contact information on a whim is great for the starting up of any business and having your name attached to an image of professional grade quality will help to make sure you stand out in their mind.

The only thing worse than not having a professional image as a startup is simply having a bad image, i.e. having a friend do your logo or using wordart etc. to do it right you're gonna need to spend some money, maybe not a lot but if it's free I'd be more than a tad skeptical as to whether it was right for you or not. So if you aren't planning on spending any money of setting up an "image" for your company then simply stick your company name in some think font like arial black and be done with it, stay away from clipart, wordart, and worst of all microsoft paint.

Good luck to you though.
              1 of 1 people found this helpful
                phanio Pioneer
                Regarding products to buy - I would suggest this. Since you cannot find information online - go offline. Call around to other window washing organizations - pick a large city and look through their yellow pages. When you find a company, call them and ask them what they use. Most business owners like to talk about their businesses. Some may not talk to you - but, some will. Try to talk with an office manager or secretary or even one of their workers. if you can find someone locally (where you live) take them to lunch and pick their brain.

If that does not work, you might need to just gain experience through trail and error. Purchase some products that you think will work - then try them on your own windows. Think about what works quickly and easily for you. You might also consider items that are easy to carry as you might be cleaning windows high up or in awkward positions.

Regarding marketing, try to first determine who your customers are. Will you be doing residential or commercial buildings? If residential, then simply flyers or post cards or even door to door contact will work well. If commercial, most office buildings will usually be owned and managed by a property group. Find these groups and market to them. Make personal contact - talk with secretaries or office managers and leave a card or flyer with your pricing and contact information.

As stated here, get out and talk to people - any one that will listen and sell yourself. If the people you talk to don't need your services, they may know of others who do.

Business Money Today
                www.BusinessMoneyToday.com