Post a new topic
    10 Replies Latest reply on Feb 3, 2011 3:57 PM by miss_staffing

Starting a temporary staffing agency

ladyc125 Newbie
      Hello Community,
      Is there any information that someone can give me on how to start a temp agency. I would like to focus on the area of accounting or some sort of business focus. Any knowledge and ideas.

Thanks,
      ladyc
        • Re: Starting a temporary staffing agency
          Staffing.Pro Wayfarer
          Charlene,

Aside from the usual " have a business plan", other things need to be in place. Such as:
          good research on your community businesses and their Temporary Staffing usage. A good fix on what would be your competition and if possible, information on their "mark-up" and profit margin. What would be the resource for Temporary Employees? Most importantly, you should have the financial resources to fund your payroll for at least six to eight weeks as well as your operating overhead. Tangible items to have before you begin would be Liability Insurance, Workers Compensation Insurance and Skills Testing materials or equipment plus any State or County licenses that may be required. These are the basic start-up essentials as well as the best professional marketing plan you can afford.

Good luck and good fortune.
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            phanio Pioneer
            I wouls suggest you find an agency in your area and work for them for at least 6 months and try to learn all that you can. Even if they are not hiring, you might try volunteering - just to get inside knowledge. While you do that, write your business plan and start looking for funding.

I realize that this is not what you want to hear - but it will really make a difference in the long-run.

Business Money Today
            www.BusinessMoneyToday.com
                Staffing.Pro Wayfarer
                Phanio,

Although your suggestions are great for most businesses, almost every Staffing Agency will have Non-Compete contracts for it's employees which are usually for one or two years in duration. Also since Agencies are "for profit" entities, even a "volunteer" must be paid at the least, the minimum wage. Coat tailing on your suggestion then, I would suggest that she attempt to hire an experienced Staffing Coordinator or Marketer whose Non- Compete is fullfilled (or didn't have one) to bring her knowleldge up to speed.
                  ladyc125 Newbie
                  Thank you,
                  Your suggestion is something to consider.
                      phanio Pioneer
                      Do consider getting some experience - Here's why:

When starting a business most entrepreneurs have a very limited budget. If you hire someone with the experience that you don't have, you will face a huge salary expense from the very beginning - capital that could be better spent on marketing and development.

Additionally, since this person has the experience, they are essentially your business or your business is at their whims.

Lastly, information is king. If you don't understand the ins and outs then how would you, being the owner and risk taker, make decisions based on what you need or what is best for the business and not for this one employee.

Maybe volunteer was the wrong word - but there are unpaid internships. Even if an agency does not currently have a program, they may be willing to create one for you (it is essentially free labor to them) and a learning experience for you.

When starting a new business - there are many risks involved. As an entrepreneur one of your tasks is to understand and mitigate those risks. Adding $30K, $40K, $50K plus to your operating expenses right off the bat in executive salary (especially if it is for something that you can do yourself with a little experience) is not mitigating risks - it is putting a huge expense burden on your business that is, in my opinion unnecessary.

If they want you to sign a non-compete - simply say no and renegotiate - let them know up front what you are doing and that they are getting free labor. Seems like a good trade-off to me - especially in this economy. If they are that afraid of competition, then maybe that is not the company to get your experience from.

Your business will succeed or fail based on you - thus, you should arm yourself with as much knowledge as you can possible get and keep learning as you move forward.
                    precisionplus Newbie
                    I will suggest you visit this website: www.medicalstaffingmanuals.com. They have a steb-by-step start-up guide on four different types of temp staffing different agency you can start

It is much easier to run a small staffing firm if you use a service like emergent.com (www.emergent.com) They provide an employer of record service that looks after all the legal, payroll processing and funding, invoicing, insurance, tax, HR and benefits administration for the staff you find. This means that you can get on with sales and finding talent without having to deal with the time-consuming hassle of employing them.

Good luck with your business!