Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 20, 2007 1:14 AM by Lighthouse24

    New Business

    Night Owl Newbie
      I have started a new small business to oneday quit my full time. Can my ex-wife get more money from me in the way of child support ?
        • Re: New Business
          puzzleman Tracker
          Night Owl,

          I have felt your pain. Fortunately that part of my life is over. The joy of your children getting older.

          The answer is YES. If she wants to take you back to court to get a change in the amount, any money that you make is taken into account. She can also get into your personal bank accounts and any business bank accounts that have your name on them. It costs her money to do this but it is legal.

          I know of this from personal experience. It is not fun to receive letters from your banks telling them that they have opened their information to her due to a court order that was made without your knowledge.

          My exwife thought I was becoming a multi-millionaire in my first year of opening. Boy, did she get a surprise when she looked at the account statements.
          • Re: New Business
            LUCKIEST Guide
            Night Owl, First of all, Congrads on starting your new small business. I am a SCORE Counselor and
            SCORE helps people in business FREE. Let me know if you want more info on SCORE.
            Do you have an Accountant??, A Lawyer??

            To answer your question (about your ex - wife) Puzzleman gave a GREAT personal answer.
            You have to look at the divorce agreement that was prepared and signed at the time.
            Lawyers usually spell out how much and from where child support comes from.
            Good luck, LUCKIEST
            • Re: New Business
              CorpCons08 Ranger
              Night Owl,

              Unfortunately, yes she may have legal standing to take you back to court to try to get value from the business.
              Your best bet is to speak to an attorney and legally prepare for your business venture.

              • Re: New Business
                Lighthouse24 Ranger

                State laws vary, and while most states allow an ex-spouse to petition the court for a renegotiation of child support, the conditions under which a judge will examine and amend the original order are not the same everywhere.

                If it happens to you, just remember that if the settlement is reopened, it's reopened for you, too -- so if you think your ex is improperly spending the support you provide now, you can subpoena documents and call witnesses to support your claim. If you believe she is spending it properly, then you really don't have to worry about it - your business success will simply allow you to provide your kids with a better standard of living, right?

                Best of luck!