Post a new topic
    6 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2009 1:39 PM by Txbluebonnets

Advice from those in the music profession?

Txbluebonnets Newbie
      Hi, can anyone give me some tips on networking and promoting a musical artist? At this point we are doing it the old fashioned way. How do you get the word out in the best way to draw people to your site?
      All input is appreciated...Chrysie
        • Re: Advice from those in the music profession?
          phanio Pioneer
          Not an music proferssional - but, if you want to draw people to your site I have two suggestions:

1) do a web search for SEO.
          2) Know your customers - if you can find out as much informaiton about your potential cusotmers as poosible - you will have no problem getting the right message in the right places to target your market. - Might want to look into a marketing plan.

Business Money Today
          www.BusinessMoneyToday.com
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Txbluebonnets Newbie
              Thanks so much for the advice! I will certainly check into those things. It gets a little complicated because the proceeds from one song off of the album are slotted for a Veteran Organization. But we do have a marketing plan and proposal from a top promotions company in Nashville. I am looking for different avenues that I can use to get the word out and your advice will help. Thanks again - Chrysie
              Modomij Newbie
              Hi, the music industry has really changed! I like to say that the record industry is over but the music industry is just getting started...
              That said, it's really up to you, and how much you put into the promotion of your product. Essentially, you are the brand and your songs are the products. You need to get emotional pull for your personality, then the products (songs) will be listened to. In today's visual environment, the web, people are drawn to people, and by the truckload if you have even a basic story to tell.
              Bands get launched every week on FaceBook, MySpace and Twitter. I don't know if you watched Imogen Heap's tweets, but by the end of making her Ellipse record, she had almost 1 million people watching!!! That's truly incredible, no record company could do that.
              Also, are you familiar with TuneCore, and other web services that can put your music on iTunes, Napster, Amazon and WalMart? It's really inexpensive and all you have to do is prepare your music for upload and then join and describe you and your music. Within a few weeks, your music is available for sale on the biggest distribution sites of the web. I remember when you had to beg, borrow and steal to get a CD distributed in your home town!
              Anyway, enjoy the journey and let people know about you, via YouTube, your website and other mediums; that's the best marketing plan there is.
              Cheers.
                  Txbluebonnets Newbie
                  Hi, thanks so much for all that information. I joined twitter the other day and am learning my way around atm. And the site is up for my brother on my space and in just a few days of being up seems to be drawing quite a few ppl. The other media sites are being worked on or updated. We also got promos on a lot of top Military sites and indie stations. What I really need to do is find out how to research for ppl that might be interested in taking this to the next step of marketing and distribution. There are so many sites on the Internet, who do you trust, how do you find their track record, etc. are just some of the questions that come to mind. We, a small group of family and friends have worked on this for several years and invested tens of thousands of our own money. But it seems an impossible task to actually get to someone who would be interested in taking this further. Not that I have not been working on it. Day and night for months and months. It seems like unless you know someone who knows someone that locked door just won't open. It just gets frustrating when you have a complete package to present that could go on and on but you can't get to anyone to present it. The promotion company that signed him is one of the biggest in Nashville and they are doing what we paid them to do. Major airplay is coming in and invites to some top showcases and play dates. Maybe I just need to sit back, take a deep breath and let it play out. Just hard to do when you have worked so hard and you want it all to happen yesterday. Anyway, I do appreciate all the advice and will take it to heart! God Bless, Chrysie
                  jettaman Newbie
                  WELL I AND MY COMPANY ARE JUST STARTING OUT AS WELL BUT I THINK I CAN HELP.YOU CAN ADVERTISE ON MYSPACE YOUTUBE AND MUCH MORE TO GIVE YOU AN IDEA
                  YOU CAN ADVERTISE ON MYSPACE ON A BID SYSTEM THE CURRENT RATE IN 20 CENTS PER 1,000 CLICKS.AND WHAT THAT MEANS IS YOU WILL PAY 20 CENTS FOR EVERY 1,000 CLICKS ON YOUR PROMOTIONAL AD SO LET'S SAY YOU HAVE 30,000 CLICK A DAY ON THAT AD THAT'S 30,000 POTENTLY FAN'S AND 30,000 POTENTLY BUYERS OF YOUR CD.AND 30,000 CLICKS A DAY WOULD BE FOUR BUCKS A DAY THAT'S NOT BAD
                  BUT WITH ALL REGARDS YOUR FRIENDS HERE AT JABBER JAW RECORDS HAVE A GREAT DAY