Post a new topic
    8 Replies Latest reply on Jan 5, 2010 12:32 PM by caffeinated

Team Building

caffeinated Scout
      Do you participate in a fantasy league, knockout pools or brackets at work? Could you use this as a team building exercise to get employees excited around the same thing and also to blow off some steam? As long as it doesnt detract from people being productive, I dont have any issues with it. What do you think?

-caffeinated
        • Re: Team Building
          DomainDiva Ranger
          I have seen people get pretty ugly when the scores were close.(If that's what you mean by blowing off steam.) There could also be state and local gambling laws to contend with as well. There is a time and place for this...for us, at our company this sort of activity is not one of them. Our playtime is away from the office.
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            leejane30 Newbie
            well, i can consider that as one exmaple of team building.
            why not?
            right?

welll if it will be for the sake of a good team bonding towards good productivyt then i'll have a go on that.

http://www.debt-consolidation-service.best-debt-consolidation.co.uk
              Iwrite Pioneer
              At several agencies I have worked at we did the football and college basketball pool, but what really brought us together was the pool table, ping pong table or the computer games we would play against each other. It allowed us to let our hair down and have fun. I know this is not realistic for most businesses but for agencies it is. It is important that we work together as a team.

I think any activity that offers people a break is a greta idea. The one that was really cool was that each department would take turns making an ice cream run!! You had to pay for your ice cream but a couple of people from a department would go pick it up and we would sit around eating ice cream together. It is hard to frown or be mad when eating ice cream! I won't talk about the free beer or massages.
                Joker444 Newbie
                Not sure if you are looking for any advice on this topic or not anymore. If you want to start office pools to promote team building, you would want to make sure everyone is involved and shares in the interests. Otherwise the motivation will die down and those who are not that interested will lose their interest. I would suggest small board games before meetings on on Fridays. Such games like Pictionary, Apples to Apples, or something that is quick and involves everyone. Maybe you can set up departmental teams with games like that. It would also spark better communication and perhaps strengthen work relationships.

I would be wary of allowing things to get too competitive. Some individuals are very competitive and can make the environment uncomfortable.

I hope that helps. :-)
                  DebbyBlitzLoc Adventurer
                  Although I applaud your desire to work on team building and morale in the office, I wonder if introducing betting or gambling is really the best choice. As others have stated there are laws about such activities to take into consideration.

A great way to build morale in an office environment is to encourage friendly competition that is work related. Sales challenges if in the sales world, develop contests that involve the actual work that is being performed. Find out what motivates your employees and offer those things as prizes/rewards. Some want more time off, maybe offering an extra personal day. Some like money, offer a cash prize. Some just like recognition in this case you could offer a trophy to be displayed. Do a survey and find out what your motivates your people.

Open up the lines of communication and ask for ideas from the people actually doing the work. They are your best resource for finding good ideas for competitions. I used to work at an office that held monthly competitions related to customer service. They offered a variety of prizes that the winner could choose from in order to increase motivation.

Regardless of your industry I am certain there is some type of work that can be made into a competition. Morale increases when people feel they are valued and that their input matters!

Hope that helps
                  Debby
                      caffeinated Scout
                      Hi DebbyBlitzLoc and welcome to the SBOC! I envisioned a non-monetary reward for the friendly competition. A trophy, jeans day, a plaque, pick your own hours for a week or a half day (this one is sort of monetary in a way I think).

Thanks for the reply

-caffeinated