Post a new topic
    16 Replies Latest reply on Nov 18, 2009 3:39 PM by Ryan524

Thinking of getting the iPhone

Scotcher Wayfarer
      There is so much hype around the iPhone that I am considering purchasing. I like it because it's like a mini computer, but wanted to know if anyone here has one and is happy with it as a phone? How does it perform with sound quality, speaker phone, etc.? Also my collegue had a Samsung phone (forgot which model) and it was too good as a phone, picking up all sounds even when he was crumbling a gum wrapper ...so I don't want it picking up everything either. If anyone has an iPhone and can comment on how it works as a phone, please respond with feedback.
        • Re: Thinking of getting the iPhone
          Luminous Wayfarer
          I've had an iPhone since they first came out, on my second now. The new ones are much better with regard to sound quality with a much louder speaker. It's really easy to use too. You have to have AT&T and really the phone quality depends a lot on how good the AT&T service is in your area. I've never had any problem with the service but I live in a big city so there's lots of coverage. As for the ease of use, it syncs easily with a computer with no hassle and transfers and updates all your contacts seamlessly. If you have a Mac it's a no brainer but friends who have PC's have reported no problems either. The whole process of making calls, retrieving email, conference calls, texting, beats any other phone hands down for it's simplicity and ease of use. And then there's everything else it does! I don't think you'll be disappointed with it.
            snccigars Adventurer

There is a new phone coming out soon, next week sometime, called the Droid, by Motorola. It will be through Verizon, maybe others. It uses Google's Android 2.0 software, and is supposed to be pretty amazing. Their advertising slogan is " Idont....insert common Iphone problems" You might want to wait and check that out before commiting to the Iphone.
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Scotcher Wayfarer
              All good discussion. I am now debating between iPhone (AT&T coverage) or Android Phone (TMobile coverage or Verizon). Does anyone know if iPhone will allow me to run skype or Google Voice?
                goodfelas Wayfarer
                get it totally worth it, I got mine 2 years ago. get it unlocked Iphone and get T-Mobil is cheaper and better

Good Luck
                http://rushfiling.com/
                  LaComunidad Newbie

I'm not an Iphone fan, I had one and cancelled my plan with at&t after about five months. I went back to the blackberry, which to me is a much better phone. Now, my husband loves the iphone and would never use the blackberry. I do believe it is a personal preference, and my biggest problem with the iphone is that I'm not a fan of the touchscreen. I like my blackberry curve, I get all the benefits of the iphone with a keyboard.

Maria Smith-Alvira

http://lacomunidadonline.com
                    Scotcher Wayfarer
                    Just when I started to think about ordering the iPhone, I read this blurb on iPhone that describes it as the best hand held computer, AND the WORST PHONE. I definitely need it to work well as a iPhone and then second as a mobile computer. Thoughts anyone? The article describes the iPhone's call quality as:

"Call quality on the iPhone is pathetic, and it's mostly because of the tiny speaker. It has to be aligned with your ear canal with the accuracy of a laser-guided ninja doing cataract surgery, or else the volume cuts down to nothing as the sound waves bounce uselessly around your ear shells."

Any truth in that?

Source:
                    http://finance.yahoo.com/family-home/article/108096/brit-Blog-names-iPhone-worlds-worst.html?mod=family-love_money
                        Luminous Wayfarer
                        Some people just like to complain and will do so about anything when given half a chance. If you know someone who has an iPhone ask them to let you make a call on it and decide for yourself. Or go to an AT&T or Apple store and get a demo. Personally I've had an iPhone for over 2 years now and with each software/hardware revision it just gets better and better. I do not find the call quality to be pathetic, far from it. Maybe he/she had odd shaped ears, was a little deaf or suffered some spacial impairment whereby he couldn't seem easily to locate his earhole!
                        1 of 1 people found this helpful
                        Scotcher Wayfarer
                        Just wanted to let everyone know that I bought an iPhone 3Gs this weekend. I'm satisfied with web navigation capabilities, like the different applications, and am pleased with it's phone functionality - in particular the voicemail read feature (who left a msg.). Only con (so far) is the battery life - every 2 days I'm charging and the phone is new.
                            Vince Adventurer
                            Aside from the phone as a communications device, are there any good apps that small business owners would find useful/interesting?

Vince
                                caffeinated Scout
                                QuickBooks has an iPhone app where you can check current bank and credit card balances, track who owes you
                                money (and who you owe), find customer contact info, and even run
                                balance sheet and profit and loss reports.

amspcs, have you seen the app that can process credit cards?

And obvisouly the Bank of America app is great for mobile banking

-caffeinated
                                    Ryan524 Wayfarer

I wouldn't get it.

1. IMHO Apple stuuff tends to be over hyped and over priced

2. You have to us AT&T (at least with a blackberry you can use any provider you want). Where I am located AT&T coverage was spotty and I had issues with their customer service as well.

For me I switched to verizon wireless got a baclberry and I am quite happy. Actualy I knida like that verizon comercial if you want better 3G coverage there's a map for that...lol

But yeah all that aside I say go for a blackberry so you can choose the carrier that makes most sense for you, and the blackberry does have some apps. I got one to syc my blackberry calendar with my google calendar online, there is a BofA app and some other stuff.

I just have the curve and its great, though I might have to look to upgrade to the storm, it looks really nice.
                                amspcs Ranger
                                I think in large part the decision should be made based on AT&T coverage in the particular area in which you reside. My understanding is that ATT coverage can be spotty in some areas.
                                I too wanted an iPhone, but settled for a Blackberry instead because I didn't like what I was hearing about AT&T and desired to stay with Verizon. So far so good with the Blackberry Tour.
                                Keyboard and display are too small, but other than that it does everything I need it to do.