Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on Oct 27, 2009 9:16 AM by Iwrite

SC Tenet Leaves W/No Notice, How Much Due?

massagefever Adventurer
      I had a rental agreement with a lady to rent a room in my office until March 31,2010, when my lease expires. However, I did include a clause so that if she just wasn't making it, she could give me 30 days notice and get out of the contract. She gave me no notice, she was there on a Saturday and Monday, she and all her things were gone. She was already $500 behind in her rent. I am going to talk with an attny but I am just wondering if it will be worth it. Will she owe the $500 + 1 month rent? Or $500+ rent to March 31? I am a very small business myself so I don't want to have a lot of additional expense if she is not going to be due much. And yes I know, a judgement in my doesn't mean I will get any money, but with this lady it might get me some.
        • Re: SC Tenet Leaves W/No Notice, How Much Due?
          JasonTees Wayfarer
          If I were you, I'd leave it alone. If she didn't have money for rent, chances are suing her won't help. At a few hundred per hour, a lawyer would gobble up much of what you recover, if anything. If she was required to give you 30 days notice and was 1 month behind, then she would at most owe you 2 months rent. A lawyer could run you $1000 easily. Even if you get a judgement that includes your attorney fees, is it really worth the time and effort? To me, it would not be.

If you want to look at it another way, you can be quite happy that she is out. Many landlords these days have deadbeat tenants who don't pay and continue to occupy the space so it can't be rented to another tenant.

Good luck,
          JasonTees.com
          Distressed Loan Advisors
          Today's Blog Topic: Will The SBA Take Your Home?
              massagefever Adventurer
              There is also the option of reporting it to the credit bureaus, but again, I run into how much.
                  massagefever Adventurer
                  Ok last thing. Do I have to go through an atty at all to report to the credit bureaus or can I write her one final letter myself, give her so many days to respond, then report it?
                      Iwrite Pioneer
                      It seems you want to punish this person. It is apparent they couldn't pay and they left. Yes, it sucks but how much energy and time are you expending on this person when it will get you what? Is this really worth your time? Learn from it and move on - require a security deposit to recoup more of your costs. Anything you do now will cost you more money that you may never recover, all to make a point.

Sometimes we have to cut our loses and move on. It is healthier for you. I practice what I preach, they is a member of this forum who owes me for work I have done for him and I have let it go - and it was more than you are owed. Did it hurt? Yes. But I learned from it and have taken steps to protect me from it happening again. I refuse to devote any more energy or time to him. But I am crazy like that.