Post a new topic
    10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 2, 2009 5:50 AM by Brocante64

Websites for all

Brocante64 Wayfarer

So, I have been traipsing around this and many other online forums over the past couple of months in an effort to gauge the potential for my new website brocante64.com which allows its users to create their own website easily, quickly, and cheaply.
      As expected I have received at lot of flack from the professional web designers/developers who, for some reason, seem to see my concept as a threat to their business. If they would just slide down from those high horses for a moment they would see just what a benefit this type of site could be for them.
      Let me explain
      At the moment there are basically 2 levels of website; firstly the all-singing-all-dancing, money-no-object type, then secondly the smaller, budget controlled, counterpart. What my (and of course others like it) website provides is a third "entry level" stage.

The first two levels are sites designed by web professionals using their flair and expertise, and for their time they must obviously get paid. So, however little they may charge for their time, or however quickly they may work, their costs, along with domain registration & hosting charges puts even the most basic of websites outside the budget of millions of people. The fact that there are 300million facebook users, yet less than 200 million active websites proves this point.

How do our children advertise their babysitting or sell-off their old toys? How do job seekers add some extra edge to their CV? How do electricians, plumbers, carpenters and small entrepreneurs of every type advertise their wares?

Gone are the days of small ads in the local paper - they need to be online, and paying a third party to get them there is just not an option.

More people using the internet is better for everyone, and those children, job seekers and small entrepreneurs of today are the same people that will be employing web professionals tomorrow to create their all-singing-all-dancing websites.

Google, MSN, Facebook, Skype etc have changed and enriched our lives forever, don't make internet participation a place reserved for only those with money -allow everyone to play - websites for all I say!!
        • Re: Websites for all
          SiteSmart7 Wayfarer
          No worries, cheap websites will always be cheap websites. :)

http://www.jetpointconsulting.com/
            SiteSmart7 Wayfarer
            Yeah, but you're not flying from point A to point B, you are trying to sell products/services. Much more complicated than going point to point.
                SiteSmart7 Wayfarer
                And sure, cheap and low-cost are two separate things, but people looking for a cheap/low-cost websites typically have different goals. If you are serious about using your website as a prime marketing tool, are not just crossing off a box on a checklist to have a website, etc., you are better off paying good money to a company that knows not just how to create a template on top of a CMS, but a company that understands how to make a great website from user experience, marketing, and content perspectives as well.
                petersfrance Wayfarer
                As they say - the proof of the pudding is in the eating - I used the services of www.brocante64.com to put my little internet café on-line just a couple of weeks back. It was simple to use; I can edit the page as & when I want at NO cost and........... I have already 2 showings on the first page of google #1 & #4 !! I am currently taking up their offer of a second page free & will have my Biarritz Golf site online as soon as I get all the photos I need.

It works - don't knock it - hey, and if you fancy playing golf in the South of France, drop us a line!!
                1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    SiteSmart7 Wayfarer
                    Are you saying that somebody that can do better than that is not worth the money?
                        petersfrance Wayfarer
                        I guess it comes down to what you want your website to do. I had a previous website professionally designed etc. but closed it down because of the expense plus I found it cumbersome to have to go back to the web designers every time I wanted to change something. Not to mention the SEO - as you know it can take up to 6 months for Google to fully accept a new domain name and it was an ongoing argument with my web people that it constantly failed to make Google's 1st page.
                        I also used to pay Yellow Pages extraordinary amounts of money to list my business, but the internet has changed all that - no more Yellow Pages, a simple cheap website & my business is global - and, more importantly, global on the internet - not just national somewhere on the yellow pages site.
                        I am not sure what you mean by "better" what more do you think I need?
                        Brocante64 Wayfarer
                        Thanks for the support Petersfrance; glad to see you are happy with your web page - I see you took my advice of listing it on Google Maps - this is a great tool and I would recommend everyone doing it. Waiting for Bing to catch-up in Europe!
                        Good luck with your new golf site and look forward to seeing your next ideas - always a good idea these days to diversify & get as many income streams going as possible.