Post a new topic
    6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 13, 2009 3:43 PM by puzzleman

reusal to sell  wrongly priced item

silken8317 Newbie
      Do I have the legal right to refuse to sell an item at the point of sale when it has been priced too low?
        • Re: reusal to sell  wrongly priced item
          DomainDiva Ranger
          I can't give a 'legal' opinion, however from a customer service standpoint you as the vendor are supposed to have already priced your merchandise prior to the sale. Trying to sell an item at a higher price from the marked price is a good way to make sure your business does not succeed. The customer this may have happned to has already told all of their friends and their friends have told theirs. You may have also been mentioned in a blog or complaint forum of some kind.
            puzzleman Tracker
            You do not have to sell your products to anyone. Most people try to have as many people buy their products, so it really doesn't get to be an issue.

What I have done in your situation is to let the customer know what the correct price was to be, ring it up at the lower price, then run like mad and make sure that all of the other items are tagged correctly. Not only has this happened to me by having the price too low but I have accidentally tagged some items too high (no wonder they weren't selling).

I take it as learning lesson and now I double check all of my pricing material to prevent these problems again.

Jim
                DomainDiva Ranger
                Jim good reply. When I first read this post I got the feeling that this question was posted as the result of a huge argument that's why I posted the answer I did. Your thoughts on this as well?
                    puzzleman Tracker
                    My impression was that it was a situation that got out of hand. Not everyone realizes that sometimes you have take a small loss when you make a mistake to keep the customer happy. If they had sold at the lower price, while letting the customer know the proper price, the customer probably would have told their friends about the great deal they got at XYZ store. Might make future sales from people looking for more mistakes that I made.

Sorry for the long answer but I get amazed at people that only look at todays pictures , not the monthly or yearly picture.

Jim
                  silken8317 Newbie
                  I'm trying to find out what the law states regarding this issue. I'm in Colorado.
                  Thank you for the previous answers