Post a new topic
    1 Reply Latest reply on Sep 29, 2009 12:05 PM by TheSoloGuide

Sole proprietor vs LLC: Registering business name?

qualpro Newbie
      Hello. I am planning to start a small online company for selling retail products from a line of products my friend's small business manufactures. I was planning to go as a sole proprietor but do want to register an assumed business name for online purposes. Is it possible for a sole proprietor to use an assumed names (for e.g. abc products) and register it with the concerned state or federal government body? Where should I register it? In essence protect the assumed name to promote it in future instead of my personal name? Are there any advantages to registering the company as LLC to cover and protect the business name? Thanks in advance for your advice. I am planning to open business in NJ.
        • Re: Sole proprietor vs LLC: Registering business name?
          Tracker

qualpro:

The laws for registering a business vary by state. For example, I registered my business name of The Solopreneur's Guide in my state of AZ, but it is not a state law to do so.

My recommendation is that you go to BizFilings.com and check the list of items under the "Products" tab. There you find a selection for DBA where they can file the paperwork for you to register your DBA. They also have a selection for Business Licenses. I believe it is a $99 fee and they will research and submit a report to you of all the necessary licenses that you will need based upon your industry and state.

I used it and found it to be very helpful.

As far as registering as an LLC or sole proprietorship, the bigger issues are tax and personal liability implications, less so registering and protecting a name. BizFilings.com has information about this, too.

Hope this helps.

Doug Dolan

The Solopreneur's Guide

http://thesologuide.com/