Post a new topic
    0 Replies Latest reply on Sep 28, 2009 1:07 PM by modernbusines

Surfacing from a Productivity Dip

modernbusines Adventurer
      Hi All,

I recently wrote an article on modernbusinesslife.com on how to recover from a personal productivity dip. I thought that some of you might find it interesting, so I thought I would post it. If you would like to view this whole artice, or others on business/success/motivation, please visit http://www.modernbusinesslife.com/ . Thanks, Enjoy!

Surfacing from a Productivity Dip

Staying motivated and productive is not always the easiest thing to do. Let's face it. Sometimes (even for highly motivated people) keeping things moving forward professionally and personally feels more like a vertical mountain climb as opposed to a walk in the park. There are many things in life that can de-rail our sense of motivation such as turmoil in our personal lives, frustration in our professional lives, or a feeling that there are too many tasks and not enough time. These sorts of situations can cause a dip in our lives, where we feel like things are not moving forward in a positive manner, and we lack the energy or desire to do anything about it. At different times in our lives, we ALL experience a motivation dip. However, it is how we deal with this dip (and how fast we can recover from it) that will determine if we fall prey to it and allow it to wreak havoc on our lives or not.

Identification of the Source of Conflict

Many times, it is beneficial to help determine the source of conflict that is causing the lack of motivation. In doing so, it is possible focus some attention on that area, thus resolving the conflict and helping to restore forward momentum. Are you having trouble at home? Set some time aside in your schedule to focus on your relationships at home, and nature them. Is your lack of motivation due to a lack of goals? You can not take aim at a target without having first identified the target. Not having set specific and clear goals can lead to a feeling of chasing your tail. Nothing can stifle motivation faster than the feeling that no matter how hard you work, you are not getting anywhere.

In general, try to identify sources of conflict in your life that are consuming your mental faculties. If something negative is constantly cycling in your subconscious, it is understandably difficult to focus on any task and stay motivated.

Recovery Autopilot

If all else fails, you need to put yourself into "recovery autopilot". Breaking things down to specific actions can help do the trick.

I am a "list person", having adopted many of the teachings of time management guru David Allen. I find that lists help to break down to the very basics what I need to do in order to be productive. Take a few minutes at the beginning of the day to take inventory of what needs to be completed by the end of the day. Make a list of these items. Then, for each of these items, define what the very next action is that you can take towards the successful completion of these items. Put these steps on an action list. Now, kick it into autopilot.

Having defined a very granular list of action items should completely remove the questions from your head "Where do I start?", and "What do I do next?" Now you simply act like a robot. Look at the list, pick an action item, complete it. Look at the list, pick an action item, complete it. Look at the list, pick an action item, complete it. Before you know it, you will have completed an entire day's worth of task by just putting one foot in front of the other. Also, in doing so you will feel a sense of achievement. Having felt this will likely motivate you to continue knocking items off the list. If you are anything like me, soon you will reach a point where your sense of achievement (even if only due to the completion of many small tasks) will ignite into full blown motivation to be productive and achieve more. It is a virtuous cycle that can pull you out of a slump, and get you operating on all cylinders once again.