Post a new topic
    7 Replies Latest reply on Oct 17, 2009 10:54 PM by foodchainllc

Advertising Indian food items

alphabusiness Newbie
      Hi Friends,

I have my relative manufacturing indian food items in India and wants to launch the product in USA. My relative has exporter license to export the food items to USA.

Can he advertise in USA to attract the distributors for his food items manufactured in India?

If so what are the best options available to advertise in paper media in California targeting Indian distributors?

Appreciate your time and help.

Thanks
        • Re: Advertising Indian food items
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Advertising Indian food items

I have my relative manufacturing indian food items in India and wants
          to launch the product in USA. My relative has exporter license to
          export the food items to USA.

Can he advertise in USA to attract the distributors for his food items manufactured in India?

Talk to YOUR lawyer. Good luck
          <!--Session data-->
            vinod1978 Adventurer

I'm assuming these are snack items that are packaged for long-term storage. What type of companies are you trying to attract? Do you want to attract Indian takeout/restaurants or, Indian grocery stores. I would first start with bringing a few items of the product and going to Indian grocery stores and asking them to taste your product and see if they would stock them. You should test out your product before you start spending advertising dollars towards it. Try to talk to as many stores as you can about your product - also make sure your terms of sale are in keeping with your competitors (i.e. consignment policy, return policy, credit policy - if required). If you have enough Indian businesses interested then I would start expanding beyond California and create a national advertisement campaign on satellite TV so you can target stations like ZeeTV, Star India, and similar channels. Indian channels on satellite TV can not be targeted geographically effectively yet, thus your best option is to launch a national campaign. If you are familiar with how most of these shops are, you probably already know that these Indian channels are played on TV 24/7 in most Indian shops. Many of the store's customers also watch these same channels. You would be marketing to the distributor as well as helping him by marketing to the consumer - this would be one of your selling points about your Indian snacks.

Vinod Tonangi
            http://www.tonangi.com
            Tonangi Media: Video Production & Advertising services

Read our blog @ http://blog.tonangi.com
                alphabusiness Newbie
                Hi Vinod,

Thanks for your reply.

Yes we have studied a bit of market in bay area and planning to bring few items during initial stage to California and bringging snacks which are packaged for long-term storage.

We know there are competitors of same items in California and we have tried improving taste and quality of the product to compete in the market.

We are first planning to look for distributors through local news papers and then once we establish some contract and get our brand in USA then will go for more advertisement.

So we are not planning for any TV advertisement for now.

Let me know if you can suggest how should we proceed for searching distributors.

Appreciate your time and help.

Thanks
                    vinod1978 Adventurer
                    Since you are targeting Indians you should start going (and possibly sponsor) a few of these conferences so you can setup some booths, and you can choose to do a few things. I've gone to ATA (http://www.ataworld.org/) and TANA (http://www.tana.org/) to promote calling card products directly to the retail customer as well as to distributors. It was successful and it only cost me a couple of thousand to setup a booth.

a) You can sell your products directly to the customer. This can ensure that you start creating brand awareness, and let them know that this new product will be available soon.

b) You can attend the various small business conferences and talk to existing nationwide distributors. Although you wouldn't be able to target California only, it doesn't make much sense to when you have 10,000 - 20,000 in one event. Many of the people that arrive at these events are small business owners (or want to become one).

Since I am Telugu I only went to ATA and TANA but I am sure you can find numerous events that would help you target distributors. I see no reason to limit yourself to just California when you go to these conferences. At the very least you will get direct feedback on taste, price, and other qualities of your product.

Good Luck.
                        alphabusiness Newbie
                        Hi Vinod,

Thaks again for your reply.

I appreicate your suggestion.

I have one more question to ask.

Do you have any idea about import procedure to USA?
                        Do you know any idea where I can find some consultant who can give idea about all the procedures to get imported food items to California for initial stage?

Appreciate your time.

Thanks
                            vinod1978 Adventurer
                            Unfortunately I don't have too much information about important food products to India, however the 1st thing I would do if I were you would be to go to the USDA website to find out how to import foreign products to the US.

http://www.fas.usda.gov/contactus.asp

If you scroll down to Browse by Subject - you can click on the type of product that you want to import and the contact information for the person(s) responsible for that particular product will appear. My 1st step would be to contact them and they can probably point you in the right direction.

If you are India right now I'm sure you could do a bit of research and find a company in India that can help you find out how to do this instead of working with a US-based company, which will most likely be more expensive then working with an Indian company.

Vinod Tonangi
                            Tonangi Media
                            http://www.tonangi.com
                      foodchainllc Newbie

I'm getting ready to start my business and would like to offer free advertising on my site; it's mostly geared toward the food industry, but welcome.

You can post your videos or commercials, audio, pictures, etc.

The link is www.FoodChainOnline.com

Thanks,
                      Tameka