Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on Sep 18, 2009 12:23 PM by Estimatorman

starting up

Estimatorman Wayfarer
      As we all know the construction industry is down and contractors are tightening their belts as a result they cannot afford an in house estimator, I'm looking for someone who would like to discuss the possibilities of starting a business to serve those contractors as they still need the services and yet they wil lbe able to afford them. I am still working as a Senior Estimator and was a previous contractor who has the experience to make it work, just need someone who can make it possible. Is there anyone here to make this a reality?
        • Re: starting up
          Partnership Adventurer
          Hellow EstimatorMan,

What exactly do you mean by making it happen? Do you have a direction as to how you intend to market your service need? Are you referring to
          Heavy Construction, Light Commercial, or Residential?

Depending on what your objectives are, we may have common goals. I've just recently acquired a software company that will develop virtual estimating
          applications for contractors whereby cutting their overheads damatically to be more competitive.

Regards,

Partnership
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Estimatorman Wayfarer
              Hello Partnership, Thanks for responding. I should have been more explicit. Its an electrical estimating business. My direction is to target the smaller contractors who cannot afford a full time estimator and would be willing to pay for estimating services on a as needed basis. I've talked to alot of contractors just in this area and had a very positive feedback. It would be for commercial and residential. I also, once its gets off the ground and established, am going to try to offer it to a place like home depot or lowes so they can use it as a selling point to their customers.
              I appreciate your response and any feedback you can offer.
              Thanks
                  Partnership Adventurer
                  EstimatorMan,

First of all for the record, I am a civil engineer / construction manager by profession and have served in the capacity of Chief Estimator for over 27 years. When the downturn came about I began estimating from my home for multiple GC's and sub-contractors. Point is, you can accomplish this by yourself to start. The only issue would be - if in fact you're talking about competitive estimating in lieu of providing take-off services- GC's tend to bid the same projects that come out for letting, therefore to keep things ethical I found myself explaining that I could not bid a specific project because I was bidding it for another GC.

As you already know, make sure that the client pays for plans, specs and shipping. This would be the core of your overhead outside of your time to estimate, assess jobsites, and atten pre-bid meetings, etc. All of which would be covered in your cost structure.

Frankly, you can start your business today with minimal start-up cost.

Partnership
                  1 of 1 people found this helpful