Post a new topic
    19 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2009 3:35 AM by wordperfect

Who Wants To Believe All This Blarney?

biz.coach Wayfarer
      Dear Small Business Online Community,
      I am so disappointed in you. As a representative of BofA one would think that you would take a bit of care in what kinds of outrageous promos you allow in here. I can't believe this whole section. It one Get Rich Quick Guru after another. Doesn't anyone promote honest business anymore?
        • Re: Who Wants To Believe All This Blarney?
          Iwrite Pioneer
          Biz.coach,

There are plenty of us that are not get rich quick folks.

This community does not really represent BofA as much as they facilitate the conversation. If they took an active part in this it would more than likely evolve into a huge marketing piece, and none of us want that. To censor one type of post will only lead to something none of us want. I have more of a problem with all the people begging for money without doing their homework or research. But that's me.

Still, I don't want to see any censoring.
              amspcs Ranger
              I'm with you on the subject of begging for money. Don't understand why people with lousy credit can't understand why nobody wants to give them a loan. But as for censoring, I think there is plenty of that
              going on in this forum--I know several of my posts have never seen the light of day for no reason that is obvious to me, and I also know plenty of other folks have mentioned similar experiences as well.
                amspcs Ranger
                Wanna hear a good one, Iwrite? I responded to your comment about censoring.
                Guess what? It was censored, never made it to the string.
                Wonder if this one will.
                What a hoot
                    Iwrite Pioneer
                    Welcome to my world. I can go weeks where everything I post has to be reviewed. I think I p***** someone off really bad. They say it isn't that but it is so funny that I am always getting treated like this.

I have cut my visits to this forum down to once or twice a week because there hasn't been much to talk about. The subjects are either "I have the greatest way to make money" or "I need money." It also seems that advertising has been under a constant attack here and I'm tired of fighting with folks over something every business person should be doing - marketing their business.

I wish this place was a place of ideas but right now it has really turned into something barely worth the effort.
                    biz.coach Wayfarer
                    IWrite, I really do agree about the censoring thing. But there is always "selection" going on, and "de-selection". I belong to one very active forum (hundreds of posts each day) that simply prohibits any kind of self-promotion. It cuts out the GRQ gurus and anyone else who just has something to sell. It makes for a much more helpful environment. In an ideal world, all business forums would be like that, but I know I am just dreaming.

As for those lazy folk, they really don't need our response. There are a lot of real quality people here who should spend their time helping those who can use it, not the free loaders. Maybe the moderator can put a "sticky" on top for those people -- they will get their answer, but we won't waste our time on it.
                        Iwrite Pioneer
                        Biz.coach,

Those are some good suggestions. I think this forum gives a great insight into why so many businesses fail - people are not prepared or willing to do the work that it takes to learn what they need to run a business. We are a "microwave" society - we want it now.

I think many members have invested plenty of time and energy into this forum to only be overwhelmed by the flood of request for money and get rich schemes. It wears people down. A lot of really good members have simply stopped posting. And this community is worse due to their absence.
                            amspcs Ranger
                            I absolutely agree 10000%. In my line of work, I meet so many people who are so painfully unprepared to go into business, it's sickening. No knowledge. No homework. No preparation. No nothing. And they wonder why their new 'businesses' fail.

I also concur about the state of this forum. I once wrote a post about my dismay that this forum was turning into a farmers market for loan seekers with poor credit--it was unfortunatley censored. But its true. With all due respect to the administrators of this forum (who I am sure do their very best and work very hard), I feel this forum would be a much better place if they spent less time nit-picking legit posts and dedicated their time to totally eliminating the "I need money" and "get rich quick" posts that litter the landscape and ruin this otherwise fine forum for everyone else.

AMSPCS
                              Lighthouse24 Ranger
                              The huge number of posts for questionable MLMs, get-rich schemes, and requests for money that this community allows is one factor that has effectively made a former active participant (me) into all but a non-participant. The other factor is that I got tired of writing advice (to help those people who really needed/wanted it) only to have it disappear from this site and show up in articles, blogs, and on other small business websites credited to someone else.

If the sponsor starts moderating the threads (instead of just auto-censoring selected posts) and improves site security (locks out all the hackers and cloners who are using this site for their own financial gain), then I'll return and become more active again. As it stands now, this community is mostly a waste of time for an actual small business owner -- almost nothing of interest to me is posted these days. Plus, more than half of the contributions I've made to this community over the past two years cannot even be found here anymore (but they can be found on other people's websites). So I decided to let them come up with their own content for awhile.
                                  Iwrite Pioneer
                                  I really hope someone with the power to make some of the changes that members are asking for is listening. All you have to do is look at the activity rates for the top posters and you can see that most of us are participating less.

It is time for the 2.0 version of this forum to appear. I am really concerned about people taking posts here and placing them elsewhere. I'm not sure how we prevent this. And I thought it was sad when a member placed me on a few spam email lists to get even with me for not agreeing with them.

Hopefully, this thread will get the people over the board thinking and moving to make some real changes that make this experience better. But I'm not sure they see the real value of this board. If they were only listening, they could be learning so much about the small business market and how to better service it.

Try these two observations:

1. The first bank to do for small businesses what the Net Bank is doing people by helping them build their credit through a series of small loans the increase in amounts as they pay off the smaller loan is brilliant. Think about what a program like that would for all the people trying to rebuild their credit. That is only one observation I've noticed from this forum.

2. The bank could have developed an online, SECURE portal where small business owners as park of their loan package could come and get access to professionals in various fields to help with the development and running of their business. Or a small business owner can pay a small fee to have access to the service.

This forum is a gold mine that BofA has yet to figure out how to leverage into more than what it is right now.
                                      Lighthouse24 Ranger
                                      I am really concerned about people taking posts here and placing them elsewhere. I'm not sure how we prevent this.

We can't (aside from not posting anything anymore -- my current strategy), but BoA could. Hacking, cloning, and republishing copyrighted content is a felony, and they could file a complaint with the U.S. Attorney.

And I thought it was sad when a member placed me on a few spam email lists to get even with me for not agreeing with them.

Yes, I had someone (who probably never read a single page of one of my books) post negative reviews on B&N, Amazon, etc. presumably as an act of retaliation for a discussion thread that evolved here. More recently, the e-mail address that I use for this community seems to have ended up on everyone's "opportunity seeker" mailing list. In the past, I figured those kinds of things were just a part of the risk that a real person takes when participating in an on-line network -- but it has gotten to the point where related off-line hassles like that outweigh the benefits of participating here (especially when the contributions I offered began to disappear, and then appear somewhere else as though written by other people).
                                          Iwrite Pioneer
                                          From one writer to another writer, I am really sorry that this has happened. People don't realize how precious ones thoughts are, and that is a shame. But for those of us who make a living through our words and thoughts, this is an affront. It should be for everyone here.

I was wondering what had happened to you. Sorry to see things get to this point.
                                        Iwrite Pioneer
                                        The funniest thing is I am still getting "reviewed" for posting to this thread. I had a post with some decent suggestions but it has to be "reviewed."
                                            wordperfect Scout

I have not been a member of this community long enough to really have a valued opinion but I would like to add my vote to the "against censoring" option, I live and work in China and have enough of that. However some sort of moderation may be a solution, as pointed out by others.

To the OP, you seem to have a point, I have also noted in some forum questions the reply is far from helpful and often a cheap promo of a business. Promotion is fine, but in the right place, I have replied to a couple of forum questions and have made it a conscious effort not to push my services. I am not MLM or GRQ, we are a legit business, as are many others here it seems.

As for your comment on the get rich quick, well, it may be a hard line, but if people are stupid enough to believe as you head line then they are too stupid to be in business! I am not sure I agree with the comments on begging letters though, small business, I mean a real SB can be a lonely and difficult task and sometimes, especially for beginners, these forums are a lifeline for suggestions and advice when all else seems too be failing. It would disappoint me to think that we can't lend a hand to a fellow business person, let alone a human being when they are asking for help. I don't believe it is an automatic link to the person not having done research, homework or being ill prepared, business is unpredictable and sometimes, just sometime you can't cover all bases and a quick reply from someone who has been there done that is really needed.

Just my few RMB's worth!
                                    LUCKIEST Guide
                                    Who Wants To Believe, I do, Iwrite does and so do you.

<!--Session data-->As your bio says "We have helped literally thousands of small business start up and get
                                    funded, from mom and pop groceries to franchised chain restaurants". Great and yes most of us do promote honest individuals and also honest businesses.

Thanks for your thoughts, LUCKIEST
                                        biz.coach Wayfarer
                                        Luckiest, I don't know you well enough to know if your comment was a helpful quote or a snide remark. But may I note that we have been in business for over 25 years, and our website gets over 1.5 million hits a year, with over 300 pages of free information. So it really is safe to say we have helped many thousands of entrepreneurs, many thousands of them for free. I get really upset when I see these GRQ guys. It just isn't real business. The only people who make any money from it are the GRQ gurus. I have immense respect for entrepreneurs of all ilk, big and small.

When people come onto a site with BofA on top, they expect to see solid information. I would hope that BofA might take a bit more interest in the forum, not to censor, but to restrict self-promos, especially by GRQs. There are many thousands of very valuable topics that could be discussed that would not encourage people to throw their money away.

As a member of SCORE, I know you feel the same way. I don't really expect that anything will change. I was mostly venting.
                                        andersonbena8 Newbie
                                        Here is some honesty....I hear you about all the get rich quick stuff. I sell telecom stuff that is actually pretty simple and the best part is it's FREE. The company that runs the site pays for everything, but you are responsible for getting people to the site and selling it. They have some pretty good deals there. It's definatly not a get rich quick, but is good for $100 to $500 a month after you get some traffic. It's a nice little hobby for me, because it's free. I do invest some profit to advertise, but thats by choice only. Maybe you can give it a try. If your interested go to http://riveroffers.com/?crid=166280 Go to the bottom right of the page to the "Want a site like this" box and hit join. Or just browse, you might find a good deal?