Post a new topic
    5 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2009 8:50 PM by Iwrite

Does anyone use postcards to advertise anymore?

Hymesdesign Adventurer
      I've recently begun to offer postcard design, and printing as a new service on my website, but it's been a few weeks and no one has seemed remotely interested, so I'm asking if there are people on this site still using this method of direct mail advertising. I'm not really pitching a service, though I'm not going to be turning down anyone who is interested in the service either, but I am really trying to find out if it's worth mentioning as a service.
        • Re: Does anyone use postcards to advertise anymore?
          amspcs Ranger
          Years ago I did quite well with post cards. But I have discontinued the practice completely as
          return on investment has steadily declined. Probably a combination of factors: (1) postage
          rates are prohibitive and (2) a single post card doesn't stand much of a chance of being noticed
          in the avalance of other junk mail in the typical mailbox. Just my opinion. Joining chambers, networking,
          working connections much more effective way of doing business these days for me.
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            DomainDiva Ranger
            It all depends on the business. Our dog groomer put postcards on peoples' doors within a 2mile radius of her home doggie salon. We now have a card showing our dogs' salon appointments a year in advance.
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
              vinod1978 Adventurer
              Postcards and direct mail advertisements are becoming less and less effective.
              People see them and simply throw them away. The only postcard advertisements are the ones that have take out restaurants with an abridged menu and coupons.
              If you wanted to sell these services I would target restaurants that are close by to universities, and the like...

Vinod Tonangi
              Tonangi Media
              www.tonangi.com
                Hymesdesign Adventurer
                Exactly the kind of real advice/opinions I was hoping for thanks guys, I think I'll continue to offer the service because someone might want it in the future but I'm also going to stop advertising it like it's a great idea. I appreciate you guys comments thanks.
                    Iwrite Pioneer
                    Might I offer another view. I get a postcard from the men's clothing store I shop at. It is a great reminder for sales and events. I get the emails also and I think both drive me to the store if the event or sale is something of interest to me.

It really comes down to the message. I think nothing works if it doesn't say something that is of interest to the audience. I think in a smart marketing plan, any medium can be effective but you have to be smart about what you are trying to say.