Post a new topic
    28 Replies Latest reply on Dec 4, 2007 5:23 PM by CorpCons08

Putting out a Press Release

srauthe Newbie
      Hello new member here. My sight is http://www.teensmartchoices.com I do have some businesses on my website and only have really been up for about 3 months I run a teen employment web site for teens 14-19 to find jobs, post resumes, and in the next couple of weeks we will be adding coupons for teens.
      I have lots of teens signing up on my site nationwide and even from Cypress, London, Kenya looking to come to the USA for college and looking for work here.
      My question is I am going to put a Press Release out on my site should I aim it at businesses or to the teen audience?
      or both. What is the best Press Release company out there? Should I put my price in the press release? and one last question should I tell them what makes us unique?
      What makes us unique is that we are taking a percentage of what we make in advertising sales and give it back to the teens in scholarships?
        • Re: Putting out a Press Release
          CorpCons08 Ranger
          Very commendable service you are providing.
          I would focus your Press Release on businesses this time around.
          You want to get as many businesses involved a you possibly can to make the service work.
          I unfortunately do not know of any Press Release companies but I would recommend googling for it.
          Good luck and keep us updated.

CorpCons08
            DomainDiva Ranger
            Different audiences will require different information. For example students 18 & older wanting employment will need information on getting a USA Work Visa and may need host families to stay with. Businesses hiring these students need information from the IRS as well as Homeland Security when employing foreign students...especially those from 'sensitive areas'. Then there are the 'cultural aspects' that need to be dealt with.
            You may want to expand the student age group to 22 or 23....those students need jobs as well.

You can discuss your philanthropic aspect however that is not your focus...your focus is on matching people with jobs. I am sure that of age students would benefit greatly from what you have to offer or are preparing to offer.

HOW-EV-ER......

I am confused about the 'teen audience' thing. Being a grandmother this is extremely disturbing. What is a coupon for a teen?

I just pasted your web address in another browser and got a page from ask.com. If I 'google' teen smart choices' your web address is first, however there are NO LINKS to this address. Is this site under construction? Is your ISP down?

Perhaps you may want to rethink - the 'underage aspect of your target market'. The extra-ordinary possibility of personal liability here is screaming.
              NatOnline Tracker
              I checked your website, and it seems like you are located in Canada.

I am sorry to be hard, but I will not target employments for young people under 18 years old, you are taking a huge resposability there.
                CorpCons08 Ranger
                There are three things that bother me on this.

The age group is one thing. Why are you targeting kids and not young adults? As we have all said, you should not focus on anybody younger than 18.

The other thing is, have you informed the companies supposibly sponsoring this venture about your target audience? I find it hard to believe that large chains like Chili's would agree to looking to solicit children under the age of 18.

You also said you are looking to get jobs for children coming into the United States, yet you are located in Canada. Why?
                • Re: Putting out a Press Release remarks to questions
                  srauthe Newbie
                  Thank you for your responses

First I am targeting 14-19 teenagers most of the jobs are for 18 to 19 but as a mother of 5 my 14 year old came home with a work permit here in CO for 8 hours a week during the school year. I called the school and the counselor said that she had no idea who in our community would hire 14 yr olds she did not have a list so he went to our little mom and pop grocery store and they hired him to be a bag boy. When he got the job of course his friends that were making good grades also wanted to get a job so a couple of mothers and me started talking to businesses and found out that most do not hire 14 yr olds to do major things like cashier, customer service but they do hire kids to mow their lawns,shovel the sidewalks and some even hire to stock shelves. This is where we started thinking about a website to help these teen that are usually maybe hanging out somewhere they should not be to spend there time more productive. Volunteer positions are what we would really like to list on our site for the younger group. We ask them what would they like to pursue as a career we recently helped a teenager start volunteering at a shelter she wants to become a veterinarian this is great because instead of wasting her time in retail she is starting at 15 to get into a field that she wants to pursue. Her resume for future jobs that hire 18 and 19 year old will be great knowing that she has pursued this field since 15 and also for college the education and experience she receives will help her in so many ways.

I don't understand why you think I am in Canada is there a reason? because I really need to change whatever that is.
                  I am only in the United States for now

As for the coupons for teens what is that was the question?
                  As a mother of 5 my teens know who is having a sale, when it is happening, they know more about nikes, ipod, cellphones, skate shoes, snowboards, heck my teenager got a laptop for $230.00 at best buy
                  the day after Thanksgiving a laptop for $200.00 and a digital camera for $150.00 him and some friends went and stood in line they knew that a minimum of 20 tickets were to be given away for these items they were numbers 15-20 I would have never known
                  this their mothers would have never known this.
                  The mothers and I took turns looking after them.
                  What the person that asked this question needs to understand word of mouth traveling through teenagers travels a lot faster then the internet trust me on this one. If there is a sale on skate shoes my teenagers friends know from CO to CA to their friends in Maine.
                  Please keep the comments coming we need honesty when starting this yes I am up and running but I need to know where I can improve.
                  THANKS SO MUCH
                    LUCKIEST Guide
                    Good luck, You have been in business 3 months. What is your background??
                    Do you have a Business and Marketing Plan?? How about an Accountant??
                    Are you finding jobsor employment for the teens who post resemes??
                    LUCKIEST
                        CorpCons08 Ranger
                        Read the responses...We have identified some of your questions already.
                            srauthe Newbie
                            hey just getting new at this so go easy on me I thought I only posted one Question then one reply to questions I really appreciate all the feedback going to have supper with family will keep you guy/gals updated on my progress.
                            this is a great site for advice and feedback and I really like all the honesty hope it keeps coming.
                            I need to hear the good and the bad.
                                CorpCons08 Ranger
                                We are all professionals and enjoy working with new business ventures.
                                Please let us know how we can continue to help you.
                                  DomainDiva Ranger
                                  Once you clarified what you were really doing....your mission is much clearer. I agree that these kids have the 'scoop' on everything and that we as parents need to help them as much as we can. Thats pretty much what I saw from your repsonses. Continuing on....if it were me (and it's not I know) I would ask whoever signs up for a 'parents email address and maybe even a phone number'. The problem is not you and your idea...the problem is all of the other weirdos out there. Thats where my concern is for underage children. I guess my analogies would be MySpace and CraigsList. While the super majority of the users and posters are aboveboard..theres always the few scary ones that creep in.

Your website finally came up! You have an extremely unique idea....I would say that security for the users would be something that may need to be explorerd further.
                                      CorpCons08 Ranger
                                      I guess in all fairness to you DomainDiva, security is something that should continue to be reviewed and changed by all individuals who have websites storing their users personal information. Being concerned for your childrens safety is something that I wish more parents out there had. That is a legit suggestion that should be explored by this user. However, I still believe that having users under the age of 18 is taking on a huge liability. Have you looked into the insurance that you need protecting your users vital information?
                                      • Re: Reply to  DomainDiva
                                        srauthe Newbie
                                        I think you are so right about security we do have one thing as a mother I did not want teens to be able to talk to each other my web designer kept wanting me to put chat, forums way for teens to communicate with each other I held my ground and said no and kept saying no my site is growing I know if I put chat on there it might get more people but also I know like you their are weirdos lurking on every corner of the net.
                                        We also have a system where if any swear words, bad words are used in an ad those ads will never be posted.
                                        Also if you do not put a company profile up when you sign on you cannot place an ad.
                                        They are dealing with an overprotective mom much thanks for the input.
                                            CorpCons08 Ranger
                                            How are resumes protected on your website for the individuals who post them?
                                                srauthe Newbie
                                                Reply to Domain diva
                                                Resumes are protected and only uploaded after the teen or young adult finds a job they want. We do check out all companies that register with us we have lots of moms not in all states but in most that will see if the company actually exist we are working on that one we do inform the teens and young adults to tell their moms they have signed up with us and to let them know when and where they are going if they have a interview seems to be working out great.
                                                For example I had a young man wanting to help us sell ads I work from my home as a mother I felt I would not like my teen to go to a home for an interview so I sat up an appointment with him at a local Starbucks and asked him to bring one or both of his parents. The parents liked the idea and I felt more comfortable it worked out great this is what I try to get across to teens on my sight never go anywhere by yourself always have an adult with you. I think this is working out for us because my partner has 5 teens also and she is also a mother hen.
                                                    CorpCons08 Ranger
                                                    srauthe,

I was curious to find out what kind of progress you are making on your venture.
                                                    Do you have any updates for us?

CorpCons08
                                                      • Re: Reply to  Corpscon08
                                                        srauthe Newbie
                                                        It is slow but I am working with a few companies right now on some nationwide advertising.
                                                        Trying to figure out what time is best to put out a press release dont want it to get lost in all the holiday press.
                                                        Any suggestions?
                                                            CorpCons08 Ranger
                                                            I would really wait until January (mid to late) for your release.
                                                            The beginning of January is debt payment time and the start of tax season.
                                                            I think it would be most appropriate to wait until the time I specified.
                                                                Lighthouse24 Ranger
                                                                I concur -- media space and airtime are at a premium right now. Agencies have sold all the advertising spots available, and people are still asking for more . . . so everything but "hard news," controversial issues, and holiday stories are getting cut now (to make room for more ads). As feared, the release would be lost in traffic.

There will be a brief window of opportunity between the holidays and the time when spring political primary races start to take over the news and media ads (which will cause the same "problem" as now). That window of time is when the release is most likely to get the attention it deserves. Of course, everyone else with something big to announce knows that -- so having this "extra" time to prepare an effective release that will stand out from the crowd may be a blessing.
                                                      david28078 Adventurer
                                                      www.prweb.com and a few others.

Aim at the kids and the potential employers and craft your PR so

Best

David
                                                  srauthe Newbie
                                                  Response to luckiest the background I have is raising 5 kids 4 boys one girl all are turning out good but you want your teenagers to get involved in things that will help them grow in the right direction if they have a passion then you try to focus on that more than on just getting them a job.
                                                  I am old fashion with my accounting now back to the old bookkeeping teaching myself excel I am really excited about this new project I actually took SCORE business class and found out I was doing everything I needed to promote my businesses I just need to do it on a grander scale.
                                                  Teens can choose to post a resume or not we try to find jobs in every city and are working with a couple of booster clubs they sell ads as a fundraiser so the business actually know they are getting advertising and helping a booster club in their local school.
                                                  Lighthouse24 Ranger

To get back to your original questions, your press release tells news professionals what they need to know to keep their audiences informed. Mainstream media outlets have adult reporters and audiences, so the release needs to answer the questions adults would have (and you've certainly gotten a lot of help here with that!). Intermediate and high school newspapers have student reporters and audiences, so the release needs to answer the questions students would have. The basic "who, what, when, where . . ." would be the same, the associated details would differ.

I've used guru.com to find freelance copywriters, including many who write press releases. You can post your project(s) for free, receive bids, and review the profiles/feedback of those professionals who submit bids -- all with no obligation. The web link is: http://www.guru.com/emp/employers.cfm

No, don't include your price in a press release (unless it's free). The resulting articles will be around for years -- but your price will change.

If the scholarship fund is established and well-recognized, then it would be beneficial to include that in the release. If the fund is new -- i.e., it hasn't actually awarded any scholarship money as yet -- leave it out. (The people who will be most positively influenced by the scholarship factor are also be the ones who will check that out most carefully -- and if they find that nothing exists to check out, it will create suspicion and questions.)

Hope this helps.