Post a new topic
    13 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2007 7:20 PM by NatOnline

How to you deal with telemarketers?

NatOnline Tracker
      Hello,

A lot of telemarketers are calling me to sell their services I don't need. Each time they call, they barely check my business, and know nothing about the industry I am working on.

I did not take this time a business telephone line because when I was listed in business yellow book with another telephone provider, it was too much calls and sometimes very agressive and insulting.

I am wondering how to you deal with these guys?
        • Re: How to you deal with telemarketers?
          Ed O'Gee Adventurer
          Nat,

Register your number with the national Do Not Call list, this will keep telemarketers away from a legal standpoint. You may have to wait a little while to see results, but it should help.

By the way, I am going to buy some stuff from your site for my wife for Christmas!
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            CorpCons08 Ranger
            NatOnline,

I use GrandCentral by Google to block out telemarketers. What I have it setup to do, and I can help you if you would like, is I have any calls coming in from telemarketers forwarded to a separate voicemail box that informs them they are in a telemarketer voicemail box and that their messages will be screened and deleted. This helps a great deal. I think in the entire time I have had this service I have maybe received 1 telemarketer that got past it. This service is currently in beta and by invite only. If you would like, I have a few invites left and would be more than happy to invite you.

Dan
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
              DomainDiva Ranger
              Aside from all the 'technology tricks'...there are some calls that get through. The ones that annoy me are the ones from credit card companies about 'your account'.

I just say: (in my best Brenda-Leigh-Johnson-The-Closer-Georgia-Texas voice): "Oh I am so sorry, we are not interested in that...ever. Have a nice day. Goodbye.

If you are mean they will cal lback and bug you. really.
                  NatOnline Tracker

To be mean, they really need to bug me. I had in the past people from YP call me twice a day, after asking managers etc... it did not do anything. When renewing my business city licence I just left the old phone number, because they are selling list with all your info to everybody.

Just a reminder, when you've got a business telephone line, and listed in YP, you cannot be on non-calling list.

With a personal phone line unlisted you are in position for legal issues.
                      CorpCons08 Ranger
                      NatOnline,

If you wanted to take a look at the GrandCentral service, please visit GrandCentral.com. It outlines the features available to users.

In regards to DomainDiva. I often play games with telemarketers on my personal line when I get them. It can be fun, but all in all, you have to respect the telemarketer. They are after all just doing their job and trying to spread the word of their products or services. It is not nice to be cruel to them, especially during the holiday season.
                          Lighthouse24 Ranger

Good point, CorpCons. The underlying problem is that among all the different types of buyer-seller "relationships" that exist in the world, the telemarketing arrangement has to be the one where the seller cares the least about the potential buyer's actual needs, and the most about his own. When a telemarketer blatantly demonstrates that fact, it tends to irritate folks.
                              CorpCons08 Ranger
                              I would have to agree with you Lighthouse. Unfortunately, many telemarketers are trained under the assumption that if you make 10 calls, 1 will turn into a potential lead. Tat makes the telemarketer believe they can throw everything on the line as fast and as rude as they can and if you don't bite, it's just part of the statistic. To those rude and annoying telemarketers, I simply tell them, "I am sorry but my time is very precious. I may have an interest in your service, but until you can deliver it in a demeanor I find suitable, I will not look into it any further." This way, the next time they call someone, maybe they will be that much nicer to the next one. I agree that telemarketing seems like a sin a times, but for many business owners they rely on it as their only source of sales.
                              NatOnline Tracker
                              I am not playing games with them and it really depends on the person I have on the line.

If a telemarketer is brief and nice, I always respect that, if they are interesting and on the topic I we can have an intellingent conversation.

Now if a telemarketer try to argue and waste my time or start the conversation like I had with a coder tell me first I have errors on my site, even if it is true, there are manners to approach that.

Anyway I am not cruel to them, but I never called to get their services I don't need most of the time.
                          Lighthouse24 Ranger

Yes, all of those: The "Do Not Call" list as Ed suggested, screening as Dan suggested, and some "acting" as Diva suggested (my favorite is the line from "WKRP in Cincinnati" that Mr. Carlson used when Loni Anderson's character was out and he had to answer his own phone - "Mr. Carlson? No, he's dead.")

I actually have a telemarketing firm as a client. For them, time is money, so another great strategy is to just say, "Can you hold for a second, please?" Then hit the mute button and go back to whatever you were doing. Since you answered and they spoke with you, the telemarketer has to either sit there and wait, or else enter a "no sale" into the system and hang up. Most telemarketing systems will automatically dial the next number and display that info -- so the marketer is on to the next call and has already forgotten you). If your phone service allows you to capture (caller ID) the incoming number, you can block it from calling back later (telemarketing systems with multiple workstations are still generally tied to a single outgoing number).

Of course, if you have time to "play," the web is full of pranks you can use on telemarketers for the entertainment of you and your associates!
                            LUCKIEST Guide
                            You got some great answers, To summarize:
                            • You can now register on a national Do Not \\ Call list. Most telemarketers cannot call your telephone number if it \\ is in the National Do Not Call Registry.
                            • If you receive a call you don’t want, \\ hang up as quickly as possible. The faster you hang up, the faster \\ the telemarketer can proceed to a call where someone is more likely \\ to be interested.
                            • Would you like to avoid telemarketing calls while you’re \\ having dinner? Simple. Don’t answer the phone at dinner time. \\ If it’s someone important, they’ll leave a message or call \\ back.
                            • Auto dialers automatically dial your number from a database.
                            • To avoid telemarketing calls, be careful about giving \\ out your name and number.
                            • Don’t always say “yes” just to please \\ people. Take control of your life and just say no.
                            • LUCKIEST