Post a new topic
    8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 13, 2009 9:23 PM by wayonda

Advertising help for new bussiness

acutabove Newbie

Hello all,
      My Name Is Dustin, I am a 22 year old College freshman. Recently I just started a lawn care business it is a very small just me owner operator ext.
      Here's the thing i don't have alot of money to through into my business right now and i need some cheap tips on how to advertise. I have tried door hangers, flyers, yes they have worked for one or two jobs but i would like a little better outcome from my advertising.
      Thank you for your time and any tips would help.
        • Re: Advertising help for new bussiness
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Advertising help for new business, Welcome Dustin

Great almost free advertising suggestion.

Support a charity or the local high school. Do something that will benefit the charity or high school.
          Maybe you can volunteer to keep the high school lawn neat and clean.

Then talk to your local newspaper reporter and get a story written. Almost free advertising.

Good luck
          <!--Session data-->
          <!--Session data-->
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            Analysight Newbie

The three things you need for success are: referrals, referrals, referrals. Because lawn care is a personal service, homeowners are not going to let just anyone work on their lawn -- especially if they take great pride in their yard!

One thing you can do is send a coupon to your past customers offering them a free lawn mow if they refer someone to you and the referral results in a job. You might also give the referred customer a 10% discount off their first lawn care job.

Analysights, LLC
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
              heather24 Adventurer

Post about your business in Online free classified. Add your Business in Google Local Business centre. ( Hey, its free to add). Use social networking sites like Twitter, Facebook etc to create an awareness about your servince in your network.

SupremeCakes Wayfarer
                  Hello Heather24,

In reading your response, I thought that "Online free classified" might be the name of a site that I had never heard of. So, I Googled it. There was no site! But the domain name was available. So, I bought it, and forward it to one of my sites. Now you may go visit the site (.com) I'm not sure what the rules of this forum are about posting URLs. But thanks, BOB
                  vinod1978 Adventurer

Since you are a college freshman you have contacts that you can use as resources in order to help you get customers.
                  Make some flyers and ask your friends that live around you to pass them on to their parents. Any parent would rather pay money to a hard working college student then some random company (as long as you know what you are doing). On the flyer tell them that if they refer you to someone else that you will give them a credit towards your next visit to do their lawn.

Does your college have a parent's day? You should ask whomever organizes these types of events if you can put one of your flyers in the orientation magazine. Again - you would be utilizing your college resources to gain business.

Depending on the area that you live in you could even use more "gorilla" tactics. Simply wear a shirt with your company name, and info and walk up to people that are tending to their yard. This probably works better in the middle of summer, handing coupons to these people would at least start some awareness that you are around and (hopefully) cheaper then larger companies that have larger overhead. Ask your customers if they would like a free service as a trade for free advertising. You know those political signs that are on the laws every season? Well you can make something similar and ask customers (that you are comfortable with), to allow you to place an ad on their front yard saying that "This Lawn is maintained by Dustin. Call blah, blah, blah". This is great for customers that have horrible yards but are cheap skates and don't want to maintain it. If you do a good job their yard will be your advertising.

Good Luck!

Vinod Tonangi
                  Tonangi Media

Video Production and Advertising for Small businesses
                    wayonda Wayfarer
                    I would like you to create a short video for your upstart to advertise yourself to your local community and post it on our site. We can use geographically targeted SEO to get you first page search results for your area of operations quite easily and it basically functions as a free webmercial. Actually I can pretty easily get any small business first page search results in google for a well constructed video advertisement with our SEO. Dustin, depending upon where you are it's fairly easy to get a video ad 1st place rankings. Regards, Hikari from