Post a new topic
    14 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2011 10:27 PM by Graham Brown

What interview questions tell you the truth behind the bull?

Focus.com Wayfarer
      These days, candidates will do whatever they can to convince you that they're the ideal person for the job you're offering. That means your interview questions will likely be answered with hyperbole, embellishment, and at times, straight-out lies. What interview questions cut through the bull to reveal the truth about the candidate?
        • Re: What interview questions tell you the truth behind the bull?
          DomainDiva Ranger
          Asking about problem solving, and what their most difficult problem was to solve and how they solved it.

The interviewer should also be skilled in body language and reading peoples mannerisms.
            MoveForward Scout

I went to a Conference that touched on what you are asking.
            The speaker gave an example of how to throw off the interview
            to allow the applicant to get caught off guard. (She did this
            in a skit form and it stuck with me). Here are four of the many
            she suggested, she also suggested to weave these within
            your interview to keep the applicant thrown off....

Ask the applicant:
            • What one question do you want to ask me?
            • What is your two biggest downfalls?
            • Who is your role model?
            • Our "prepheratis" (an fake word will do) is a tri-form this
            is probley a little different than the one you may be used
            to, we can train you on this. Did you work with a single
            or double type?
            (If they answer single or double they are lying the word is
            made up) (If they admit they are not aware of this or say
            they never used it, it is safe to say they are honest, then
            simply tell them no big concern).

Even after the applicant finishes each of these questions they
            will be asking themself if they answered correctly (they
            did not study those questions) by throwing them off you
            will break there cycle of rehearsed answers.

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                HiResSara Newbie
                Be careful of tactics like 'throwing them off'. Making up words is not going to a differentiate between honest or dishonest. People react differently in stressful situations and they might not have heard you well. I think you would be better suited by putting people at ease. It helps them think more clearly.

You need to keep the questions relevant to the job and company culture. Keep these things in mind.

All candidates should be asked the same questions in the same order. The questions should be pre-determined and based on the qualties, competencies or experience you are looking ofor. It makes it easier to compare apples to apples and keeps it legal. (FYI, discrimination lawsuits rocket during time of high enemployment!)

The questions should be behaviorial in nature and answers should contain depth and you should push for depth. You can really drill down into a few questions. Example: We all face the same challenge when we don't know what we don't know. Tell me about a time when you were in over your head, but didn't realze it until you were in the situation. By talking through a difficult scenerio like that, you will be able to assess their thought process and methods. Many follow on questions would be generated from that question. What did you learn; Were you embarrasd to ask for help; Who did you go to for help, etc.

We actually generate questions per position for our hiring managers after agreeing on the compencies and experience we are looking for.
                1 of 1 people found this helpful
                SeniorLiving Wayfarer
                One important body language is eye contact. Watch out for that. Throw the person off balance by asking some seemingly irrelevant questions like their opinion on the break up of the Soviet Union. When you are asking questions about the job make the person relate it to experience.
                If possible have more than one person talk to the interviewee and precede the face to face with a teletalk.
                  countryboy Wayfarer
                  I always did some thing different. I would hand the a paper and pen . The ask about each job the had listed.With out any of there paper to look see if they match. most of the time if you lie. You can not remember your lie. Yes I am a little on the bold side.
                    dpeterson Wayfarer
                    I have hired more salespeople than I can remember. Besides the regular questions I have thrown in a few of my own. Here's one... Salespeople are typically money motivated or goal motivated so I ask:

1) How much money would you like to make? I like hearing big numbers here.
                    2) How much money do you need to make? Forget question #1 this one is the real questions. Sales reps generally end up earning what they need to make to survive (plus occassionally a little more) so this number needs to be at the top end of what an "A" player earns.

If you are interviewing and you get question #2 lean forward and ask the hiring manager "I need to make at least 10% more than your best rep. By the way who is your best rep in the building?" That statement will at least get you to the 2nd round of interviews.

David Peterson - President: Atlanta Sales and Consulting

http://www.atlantasalesandconsulting.com/
                      DebbyBlitzLoc Adventurer

Having to interview is increasingly more difficult when the economy is struggling. People need jobs and are willing to say whatever it takes to get hired. With this in mind you really need to train the person doing the interviewing! Body language speaks volumes! Having someone conduct the interviews or at least be present during the interviews, that is exceptionally trained in reading body language can make all the difference!

Additionally, I have found that allowing the candidate to expand on their answers usually brings out the truth. For example, when you ask the question "tell me about a time that you faced a deadline that you were not going to meet, what was the situation and how was it resolved" Most times people have a rehearsed few lines to answer this, but if you sit silently after those first few sentences, the candidate will continue to speak. This is where the truth comes out. Allowing the candidate to speak for a longer period than they expected or planned often causes them to divulge more than they normally would.

Also it is crucial in these tough times to check references thoroughly! Don't think because someone was great in the interview that you only need to contact one or two of their references. Contact them all! I am consistently amazed at what I learn from the 3rd or 4th reference on their list!

Hope that helps
                      Debby
                        ClockingTime Newbie
                        One idea is to ask them questions about their daily life to find out their true nature. By their hobbies, goals, and daily motivations you can glean whether they are:

Hard workers Do they have personal projects that they work on or goals they pursue? This is often a lifestyle and habit, so if they do it at home they will also do it a job they enjoy.

Easily distracted or lazy Are they addicted to the internet, social media, tv. These are distractions from the important things in life and is also a habit that they will bring with them to work.

Curious and observant Do they travel, do they like reading or writing? If so, you will find they are quick learners and will add a lot to the business.

These personality traits can often make up for a little lack of experience. Since you can't verify the accuracy of everything on their resume, you can at least decide if it adds up for their personality type.

I am just about to write a blog post about what to ask in an interview so I thought I'd share a few of my thoughts here first.

Peggy
                        <a href://trackingtime.wordpress.com><The Timesheets Blog</a>
                          ClockingTime Newbie
                          One idea is to ask them questions about their daily life to find out
                          their true nature. By their hobbies, goals, and daily motivations you
                          can glean whether they are:

Hard workers Do they have personal projects that they work on or
                          goals they pursue? This is often a lifestyle and habit, so if they do it
                          at home they will also do it a job they enjoy.

Easily distracted or lazy Are they addicted to the internet,
                          social media, tv. These are distractions from the important things in
                          life and is also a habit that they will bring with them to work.

Curious and observant Do they travel, do they like reading or
                          writing? If so, you will find they are quick learners and will add a lot
                          to the business.

These personality traits can often make up for a little lack of
                          experience. Since you can't verify the accuracy of everything on their
                          resume, you can at least decide if it adds up for their personality
                          type.

I am just about to write a blog post about what to ask in an interview so I thought I'd share a few of my thoughts here first.

Peggy
                          http://trackingtime.wordpress.com
                            Graham Brown Wayfarer

Believe it or not, one of the most valuable interview tools can simply be asking the interviewee, "What questions do you have?" Individuals who are just feeding pre-made lines will have a tough time with this one and it will also reveal who has taken the time to learn about you, your company, and your industry. If the applicant says they don't have any questions, it's usually a sign they aren't truly invested in the interview.

Employee Motivation and Recognition Gifts