Post a new topic
    8 Replies Latest reply on Sep 17, 2009 7:23 PM by Harvield

Supplying Supermarket Chain

Harvield Newbie
      Hello,

I just started a small wholesales business in dried fruits industry. Does anyone know how to supply big supermarket chains like Ralps, Alberson, Vons, etc?

Whom should I contact and what are some requirements in order to become their supplier?

Thank You very much for your help.

Harvield
        • Re: Supplying Supermarket Chain
          LUCKIEST Guide

Who are you?? Go to Members page and add some info.

Tell us about yourself and then I will tell you how to supply supermarket chains.
          <!--Session data-->
              Harvield Newbie
              I just started a small, home-based wholesale/retail business.

Since the business is brand new and income is not stable at the moment, I still keep working full-time with another company; Therefore, I treated the new business as for additional income and learning experiences. However, the weakness is I don’t have lots of time to do outside sales.
                  LUCKIEST Guide

Next you need to develop both a business and a marketing plan.

Do you know about SCORE?? SCORE is FREE
                  <!--Session data-->
                    DeeTee Wayfarer
                    Hi Harvfield,

I used to work as a brand manager for a major grocery & consumer goods chain so I might be able to point you in the right direction. First of all, all major grocery stores have teams of buyers. Many chains refer to these people as brand managers or category managers. It's all semantics, but ultimately they are the people who's main role it is to scout and evaluate new products and maintain current product lines. Your best bet would be to contact these people directly at their respective offices and schedule an appointment to visit and "pitch" your product line. You can usually find the buyers through the company directories or simply by asking the customer support or receptionist at head office. Don't feel intimidated by the prospect of calling them, since this is a normal part of their role. The head office I worked in constantly had brand reps and people with new products coming in through our doors. Be sure to be ready with samples, literature and marketing materials to pitch your product's unique benefits and competitive advantages. It helps to have a demonstrated history of sales and a clear understanding of your target market that you can communicate to the buyers so they know how your product will "fit" into their buying plan. Lastly (and probably most important), you need to show that you have the production capacity and vendor relationships to support the fulfillment of your product to the chains. I can't tell you how many times my company turned down great prospective products because the seller did not have the ability to fulfill demand across the chain's distribution network.

Good luck with your venture!
                    1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  Harvield Newbie
                  Hello,

Could anyone help, please? =)

Thank You.
                    Analysight Newbie
                    Harvield,

Another way you can find out who you need to speak at these supermarket chains is to check out the Chain Store Guide. This is a source that lists various chain stores by region, and lists select company officers (like Vice President of Perishables, Category Managers for different products, etc.). Some libraries should have the Chain Store Guide Grocery edition on their reference desks, or you can buy a the print version from the CSG website (www.csgis.com) for $395.

Good luck!

Alex
                    Analysights, LLC
                    1 of 1 people found this helpful