Post a new topic
    28 Replies Latest reply on Dec 7, 2008 3:19 AM by tokyov

Where can I get my new website critiqued?

jonah305 Newbie

We're having an ecommerce site built for us by a company we hired off elance. Since we are novices, we would like to get the opinion of those with more experience as to the functionality and look of the site. Is there a particular site or forum where we can go to get it critiqued? Even if we have to pay for it, I think it would be worth it. I'm afraid our designers are trying to get away with just doing the minimum possible.

Not sure if I can post links here, but our site name is However, it is currently being hosted by the designers at I guess once I make the final payment they will transfer everything to my server. It is still in beta, so some of the text and pictures are irrelevant.
        • Re: Where can I get my new website critiqued?
          DomainDiva Ranger
          I went to the posted url, nothing is showing yet. As soon as your site is up and running I can have my designer take a quick look if you like. Also NatOnline here on the forum would be able to give some good tips as well.
              jonah305 Newbie
              Hi, thanks for the reply. The website is temporarily at the following url:
              I don't like the fact that they are temporarily hosting my beta site on one of their other client's servers. I guess they figure that if they put it on my server, I could steal the code and not pay them their final payment. Don't know. Is this common?
              Thanks again,
                  MetroGal Adventurer
                  Hello johah305. I just wanted to clarify that the website you want us to evaluate is a site targeted for dog owners? I got confused as the test site url says mortgages??? I am not a web expert, but I do own a dog and surf online pet shop accessorie shops quite often and would be more than happy to weigh in. I am going to surf around a bit more....thanks. The first time I saw the website, I wanted to buy a dog collar for my pooch! But I see that the company is in Australia? I am in the U.S.
                      jonah305 Newbie
                      Hi MetroGal,
                      Most of the copy (including the contact info at the bottom navigation bar) is not ours, it is just text the designers have taken from other sites to fill in space. We will add our own copy later. Also, when complete, the site will be at, not at its current url. Right now I guess I'm just looking for feedback on the general look, feel and functionality of the site, not on the copy or content. We will hire a copywriter for that. The collars are ours, though. Glad you like them.
                      Thanks for your help
                          MetroGal Adventurer

Okay, here is my feedback as a fellow dog owner that shops online:

• Love the revolving images of the dogs showcasing the collars.
                          • Like the top navigation bar. Very user friendly and straight foward.
                          • The site does convey a sense of elegance, but after surfing on the site for several minutes I found the black background and white text very hard on my eyes. Have the designers considered other "elegant color options?"
                          • As a female shopping for my dog (if that's your target market) - a black background wouldn't appeal to me and is straining on my eyes. But, that's just my personal opinion. Maybe other ladies are fine with it.
                          • The basket icon/link should be bigger as checking your cart/items is important. If it's more visible you can eliminate needing "shopping cart" on your navigation bar.
                          • I drilled down on products and saw links to different items listed horizontally. With 8 category types it looks visually fine, but maybe gets a bit messy if you add more categories one day. I'm used to seeing a verticle list vs. horizontal list!
                          • Other: I like the concept of Snapshots - pet owner testimonals with pictures! I would move that closer to the products link vs. off to the side. Nothing is more powerful than seeing your customers praise your products.
                          • More other: Also, as a dog owner a big painpoint is to order stuff online and not knowing if it's going to fit, etc. So, I end up buying various sizes and returning! A pain for everyone involved. It would be great to have a downloadable collar size guide so a buyer can print it out, cut, and see if the paper collar measures correctly.

You have beautiful merchandise. I hope my comments are helpful to you. Good luck!
                      NatOnline Tracker
                      Beautiful site, I like it.

On the urls page, I will specify and add the word "dog(s)". BTW you are starting a nice SEO right away, you site should rank well righ away.

Good work :-)
                      Lighthouse24 Ranger
                      The functionality really isn't there yet (most of the internal links don't lead anywhere, and the photo assets are not the proper size/resolution to get a clear views of an individual product) -- but I thought the general look and feel of the site was elegant and upscale, so if that's what you're going for, I'd say you're on target so far. Hope this helps. Best wishes.
                        Momentum Wayfarer
                        Hi Bill,

We can test your website professionally on the following aspects:

1. Usability part e.g. behavior in different browsers, user friendliness of the site flow and what how major search engines will look at our website etc.

2. Technical part e.g. programming errors/bugs

3. Performance part e.g. Loading speed of pages

We will submit you detailed reports in Excel format, that you can forward to your designers and keep it for your record. Please let me know if you need more information. I'm available to answer your questions at by phone or by e-mail info(at)

Kind regards.
                          DomainDiva Ranger
                          That website is totally HOT!!!! I love the black with white letters, but you may want to look at a more visually flowing font...that would help the eyes. I love the design and elegance of the design ideas. My dogs are getting husband will have to get over it!

Thank you thank you for the beautiful website design hotness!!!
                            tokyov Wayfarer

I've been selling online since 1998, and I'm going to be bluntly honest with you. I realiz opening your first web shop can be existing and naturally, as an honest business person, you may instantly trust other users online. However, I have fallen for a few developer scams and lost more than $10,000 to coders when I was naive and new to the Internet. Don't be foolish & make my mistakes.

The site is very Web 1.0. It's up to the standards in the 90s. You can download similar web shops and even more advanced shops for free online. However, I don't recommend it, nor do I recommend starting with a customized site.

You should stick to large ecommerce players if you're new. You don't want to be at the mercy of these so-called developers, and really should do more research on building a successful web store & site with goals in mind before you chose a platform. .The Internet changes fast, and starting with 90s standards already puts you at the end of the line in a search engine's eyes because credible, modern businesses Web 2.0 code (not heavy code like tables and inline fonts).

Have you checked into Monster Commerce, Yahoo Stores, etc? If not, I hightly recommend it. I wouldn't pay these developers a cent for that design.
                              tokyov Wayfarer
                              Hi again,

I ran your site through a quick check via a validator tool, and as I
                              thought by simply looking at the site, there are serious problems with
                              your web shop. You can't evaluate a site by looking at the surface, and
                              no person online can evaluate the scripts by simply looking at a few
                              pages online. Does the site scale to multiple users? Does it function
                              and connect to a gateway properly under SSL? Is the data protected by
                              more than a simple password? Are you complying with Visa/MC rules for
                              storing customer data? There are penalties in some situations. Are you
                              storing information that you should not store, like a cardholder's CVV?
                              Are you validating addresses, etc.? Has this developer provided you an
                              overview of what an ecommerce site needs to be successful today? I
                              don't think this person would know. Would the site pass a Hacker Safe
                              test? If not, the site is not compliant with Payment Card rules, and
                              you should not be accepting payments. Has the site been tested under
                              SSL? Have you tried to break it by entering bad characters, long search
                              queries, etc? Why worry about this stuff if you're new? You don't need
                              a custom shop. Ecommerce services like Yahoo Stores provides everything
                              you need, and you simply add your products, business data, and sell.
                              You leave the rest to the pros. I wish I had done that my first 3 years

Here are some of the serious issues with just one page of your site.
                              (You can this yourself here:
                     These are just
                              surface errors, but based on this, I would be VERY concerned about the
                              actual scripts. They are likely full of errors because the creator does
                              not even known basic HTML.
                              Parsing Errors

E020 - 1 instance(s): There are two common causes of this error. Either
                              you have forgotten the start tag, or you may have tags that are
                              improperly nested e.g. <b><i></b></i>
                              HTML Errors

E600 - 2 instance(s): This error is often raised when a
                              browser-specific tag has been used such as <embed>. Alternatively
                              you may have mis-spelled the name or tried to use a tag that is not
                              valid with the HTML specification you are validating against.

E601 - 2 instance(s): This error is normally due to other errors within
                              the page, such as using a frame set with the wrong <!DOCTYPE>
                              tag. You can find a list of the <!DOCTYPE> tags that Total
                              Validator recognises here (displayed in new window).

E602 - 1 instance(s): The <!DOCTYPE> tag should appear before all other HTML tags on the page.

E609 - 3 instance(s): If this error is preceded by an E604 error
                              (missing end tag) then correcting the earlier E604 error may correct
                              this one.Otherwise note that there are strict rules as to what tags may
                              be nested within others, as well as the order and number of tags
                              allowed. Try removing the item marked with this error or nesting it
                              within one of the tags listed. Note that in rare cases it is possible
                              that a tag in the list provided also may not be allowed, but a simple
                              test should quickly resolve this.

E620 - 2 instance(s): The most common reason for this error is the use
                              of a browser-specific attribute (such as 'leftmargin' in the
                              <body> tag), which is not part of the official HTML specification
                              being tested against. If the attribute is for purely for layout then
                              consider using CSS instead.

E621 - 22 instance(s): The HTML specification being validated against requires that the attribute indicated always be used.

The above errors are unacceptable for a professional designer to
                              provide to you. This person does not know what he/she is going, and has
                              merely copied & pasted various content off of free web sites and
                              other stores to build your site.

Please also note:
                              > No META TAGs for title, description, and keywords. How do you
                              expect people to find you if the site can't be indexed? Your title,
                              description, and keywords should change on every single page for
                              maximum expsoure.
                              > Doc Type is WRONG. The page is not DTD XHTML. It's basic HTML, Web 1.0.
                              > There are TWO pages nested together on the page.This will cause
                              search engines to rank your site low as you can only have one page per
                              web page, and this serious error will cause browsers to crash on some

I could give you a 100 things that are wrong with the site. If you
                              haven't paid this person yet, I would cancel the project and move on
                              quickly. You are being taken advantage of, and unfortunately, if you
                              continue to announce that you are a newbie (beginner) on sites like
                              this, you are a walking target to be scammed online.

Take it slow. Do your research. Trust leading services, like Yahoo
                              Stores or Monster Commerce. Do not trust anyone who approaches you
                              online and offers you everything you want to hear, like the prior
                              poster who offered an analysis of your site. Anyone who has ever
                              managed a web site can tell you basics, like the improper nesting of
                              Doc Type. I would be surprised if your eLance coder has ever built an
                              ecommerce site or any database driven site with much traffic.

Keep in mind that you are building an ecommerce site. It can't have
                              errors. It must be secure. There's a lot of stuff to cover, so be smart
                              & stick with a known name who properly secures your data, network,
                              and data in transit.

BTW, I once I bought a cheap shopping cart, and the back-end script
                              would email the creator with my admin URL and password when I accessed
                              the admin. It would email according to a randomize routine, so one out
                              of 10 logins would be sent by email without the store owner's
                              knowledge. Sadly, the person who created that application has grown
                              even bigger online, and business is strong. I wonder how many people
                              know about the emailing from their store's backend. Fortunately, I had
                              a little knowledge of VBScript when I purchased his scripts, and
                              dissected the code before I modified it for my needs. As a result, I
                              found the email routine.

You need to approach web contractors with caution. More caution than a
                              normal contractor because you could be dealing without someone in
                              Nigeria, who claims to be a developer in the USA. Scams abound online,
                              and the scammers thrive on newbies who are too trusting. Once you pay
                              someone online, you can't recover your money.
                                  Lighthouse24 Ranger

Wow, it sounds like you have a great deal of knowledge, experience, and expertise to share. I agree the final site has to be functional and secure, but I'm wondering if maybe the scale of the business and the anticipated source/type/volume of transactions comes into play on how critical some of the other errors you cited are? What do you think?

If you take a six-year-old minivan to a mechanic who customizes street racers, he'll tell you that pretty much everything is wrong with that vehicle for that application -- but it still gets the kids to soccer practice. Or to use a more direct example, a week's worth of sales of the last Harry Potter book on netted more than Americans spend in an entire year on all pet products combined (source: Association of American Publishers). Clearly, a site like amazon's has to really perform. But does a site selling upscale dog collars really need all the same jazz? Security and functionality, absolutely . . . but do you feel everything you noted is a must-fix?

If the beta site is really that horrible, it might be very helpful to jonah305 if you add your name, business, and website to your profile (especially in light of your caution about dealing with someone we don't know on-line). After all, jonah can't just go to the developer and say, "Hey, some guy in a on-line forum with a 1-post history says you don't know what you're doing and that you're scamming me!" How about providing an expert source to go with all your evidence?
                                      Lighthouse24 Ranger

Correction: A week's worth of sales of the last Harry Potter book on netted more than Americans spend in an entire year on all pet products combined at the nation's top grossing PetsMart or Petco store. (I thought my original citation seemed off, so I looked for a collaborating source. Should have done that to start with -- sorry for any confusion.) Even so, the issue I was inquiring about still applies, i.e., does a small business website selling dog collars need amazon-like capabilities? Thanks.
                                    I want to chime in, as a web developer for almost 9 years, that you're being robbed.

First mistake - elance. Worst. developers. ever. 90% are outside the US, and good luck getting support when something goes wrong.

Big clue - your beta is hanging off a mortgage website, not even the developer's domain/website. It's not uncommon to hang a beta site on a test site, or under a subdirectory of the developers own domain, since it's not all paid for yet (yes, your thought on that was correct)

Other clues - others have already covered the shoddy coding of yesteryear, I'll agree on that and move on.

Search engine optimization - there is none. This site will have a huge disadvantage in the search engine rankning race - I could post for 3 pages on that subject alone.

My suggestion is NOT to hire me (grin), but instead take a nice, long look at or (I do not own, or have any financial interest in either of these ecommerce sites)

What these sites provide is an online ecommerce/content management engine, and a very Web 2.0 user interface experience, for both you (admin) and shopper. Relatively inexpensive, low monthly fees, no setup, and would do almost eveyrthing I see on this beta, plus a lot more.

And, you can customize (or pay someone to) the look of your shopify site with your own design, if one of their very nice templates does not work.

These sites are far more powerful and easier to use than the aforementioned Yahoo merchant, etc (which was down on Cyber Monday!).

Hope that helps!
                                        Lighthouse24 Ranger
                                        MT, good post (and since you're a "real" developer with listed credentials, this gives jonah something useful to work with).

I was wondering if you might comment on my question to Tokyov: When working with a developer (or using a DIY tool), is it a case of "good code is good code - period" -- or can sites that have limited traffic, few sales transactions, less need for search engine visibility, etc. get by with cheaper, faster solutions that are still functional and secure (e.g, minivan instead of a hot rod)? I'd appreciate your thoughts. Thanks!
                                            You might have a chicken-egg there: is a site with low traffic, fewer sales, lower rankings being held back by bad code? Most likely, yes.

That said, a well coded/structured site is going to be far easier for a search engine to index than a hacked mess or one created by visual tools (like frontpage or dreamweaver in layout mode).

Think of content as the gooey chewy center, and the code as the hard candy shell. If the shell is too thick (bad code, tables, inline fonts, embedded scripts at top of every page), search spider can't drill through to get to gooey center content. They do give up and / or get 'confused' and go away, sometimes never to return.

The sites I mentioned for ecommerce do a more-than-decent but less-than-perfect job of spitting out nice code.

I believe that no site should suffer from being a mini-van, when it could be a hot-rod of sales and rankings, with the proper care and grooming (yes, I mixed the metaphor).

In the end, bad or no design & structure will cost you far more than good design/structure - really.
                                              tokyov Wayfarer
                                              Lighthouse, I'm not going to post credentials on here and am not trying to drum up business. Much of my post to web 101 stuff, and I think you should learn the basics before you venture to make money on the Web. Just like you need to know basics to use email, a web browser, connect to the Internet, etc.

This really isn't a matter of bells & whistles. This person is being scammed with broken code, and he's likely paying a premium for it. I post for that reason only, and it definitely doesn't apply to every shop or seller on the Internet. Your questions don't really relate to the topic but more or less relate to the building of a web shop in general. If you want a site like Amazon, I would actually recommend a cusomized site, not Yahoo or any off the shelf package.

Please don't take my comments out of context. My comments were addressed to the OP with his product type, limited knowledge, and basic needs in mind (based on what I can tell by what he's provided).

You need to look at this like a B&M and your goals. Some products sell better in certain situations, and every business has unique goals and may vary in audience.
                                            tatutina Newbie

Hi Bill,
                                            I visited your new site and I like it! Here are some suggestions:

• It took a bit long to load some photos -are they all low res?
                                            • Do you have a good email list that you can send to all your friends and have them take a look at your new endeavor. Ask them to critique with their honest feedback. Since these are pet products, can you email some "pet" people?
                                            • The idea of a web site is constant change and update...just like a brick and mortar store, you need to constantly improve and make better, so what might work for today, may be different for tomorrow!

Best of luck and I really like your products!
                                                tokyov Wayfarer

First, I simply wish to say that I have nothing to gain from being bluntly honest. I am just a shop owner who has several shops online, and after I saw your post, I had to say something because you're truly being taken advantage of by this so-called eLance developer. The code is not only old but there are very basic errors.

You need to sit down and figure out your goals for your site, and if you're trying to expand business or provide a means for existing customers to buy or see products.

Based on your site, it looks like you're in Australia. This is going to limit your options on ecommerce providers. Futhermore, if you ship worldwide, you'll need to consider your needs too when choosing a platform.

I recommended Yahoo or Monster Commerce (Network Solutions) because I have had two providers go out of business on me. I wish I had found a way to make the others work because the disruption to business was not worth the convenience of smaller companies. However, I have also managed my own servers. It really depends on the site, and your goals with the site.

You don't have to use Yahoo's Merchant services. However, all services have problems around the holidays, and I wouldn't hold that against them but at the same time, I wouldn't use their merchant services anyways.
                                                Comparing your products to other retailers, there's a market out there, and you will find a never ending supply of buyers on eBay and Yahoo Stores. Right there, half your marketing is done. Yahoo & Monster both provide RSS feeds that tie into Google Base, Froogle.Com,Shopzilla, even eBay & Shopping.Com, if you decide to list on ebay. I don't recommend using eBay as a main source of sales but only to get exposure. eBay is far too expensive to turn a decent profit.

Don't know anything about Shopify but I must be honeset and say that I'm biased because I've had bad experiences with start-ups who go under or get bought out. The merchants suffer when a small player works hard until they're bought out. Today, I don't take those risks. However, I also don't use Yahoo or Monster because my needs require more than an ecommerce site and I focus on niche products/markets which require different forms of marketing to survive. However, your product can appeal across all markets and newbie as well as seasoned web buyers. Where do you find those buyers? eBay, Yahoo and Google. I mentioned ecommerce packages that cover each of these markets and give you incredible exposure with very little effort. If you're selling general merchandise today online, then you have a ton of competition, and you need to raise above the 1000s of sccattered shops by creating your presence across the net. Sticking with a leader and leveraging their tools for cross-site promotions , then you're reaching a good part of the Internet. I don't see how a small, powerful cart is going to give you that kind of exposure. I can Shopify working for a site or service that wants to have a small shop on the side but based on your post, I don't think you have an existing site or community to leverage. You need to build up that interest first by getting your name out there.
                                                tokyov Wayfarer

If you haven't done so already, I highly recommend that you research your competition and see what they're offering as far as products, options, product details, customer service, pricing, etc. A couple of your direct competitors are pretty large on eBay and also have web shops as well as offer wholesale/bulk orders to resellers (Looks like you plan to wholesale too). Do research on the eBay retailers via Google. You can learn a lot by simply paying attention to how your established competitors sell products online. Once you've determined your goals and target audience (like where can can easily find buyers in your audience), you should create a business plan and THEN shop for an application that will enable you to succeed. If you decide to use a developer, you should approach it with definite goals in mind and a lot of caution.

Good luck! Starting with a solid foundation can only benefit you on your road to success.
                                                    jonah305 Newbie
                                                    I would like to thank everyone for
                                                    taking the time to chime in here. You have been extremely helpful and
                                                    I really appreciate it. We will be looking into implementing many of
                                                    your suggestions.

I may have posted this question too
                                                    soon as the site is still in beta and naturally it is going to have
                                                    issues. We haven't even gotten to the SEO part yet with the
                                                    developers, even though that is included in the Scope of Work. I have
                                                    just completed my keyword search in Wordtracker and plan on using
                                                    them in the title tags, meta tags, copy, etc. However, I don't know
                                                    anything about coding for SEO so I plan on hiring a third party to
                                                    review the site for that and the other issues that have been brought
                                                    up in this thread. Armed with that report, I'll go back to the
                                                    developers and have them fix the issues before final payment. As for
                                                    security, I just got my merchant account approval from Chase Merchant
                                                    Services and We will be adding that to the site soon.
                                                    I am going to look into what other measures I need to take.

I wish I would have known about
                                           earlier. It looks like something we would have seriously
                                                    considered that would have saved us a lot of time. Of course, back
                                                    then I didn't know how frustrating it would be to build a site from
                                                    scratch. We looked into Yahoo, but didn't like what we saw.

I agree the site may have a web 1.0
                                                    look and feel to it but virtually every non-techie or ecommerce
                                                    person I've shown it to really likes it. At the end of the day,
                                                    what's more important: impressing the techies, or selling collars?
                                                    Obviously it would be nice to do both, but if I'd had to chose I'll
                                                    take the latter. I'm not selling iPods or digital cameras so I doubt
                                                    most of my customers are going to care that my site is not up to the
                                                    latest standards.

Am I paying too much for this site
                                                    ($3K)? Yeah, most certainly. But I also got a pretty good education
                                                    in the process so I guess I can live with myself. And yes, next time
                                                    I would do things differently.

Thanks again for all you input. Time to
                                                    crack the whip on my developers so they can build me a better

tokyov Wayfarer

I think you may have misunderstood my comments.

This eLance Developer is providing you bad code. What does that mean? Let's see:
                                                        1. A percentage of the Internet won't be able to view your site. It will be completely broken in certain browsers, and will definitely crash any pre IE 5 browsers because they don't handle bad code well.
                                                        2. SEO optimization should not be an after-thought. You need to build your site around keywords and tags. With your current scripts, your site is currently unfriendly to search engines, and you will never reach your full potential with search engines if you don't change your site.
                                                        3. Search engines read code. Firstly, no one is building Web 1.0 today, and there are many reasons for why you should start with 2.0. Firstly, if you want a search engine to list your business, I highly recommend that you make the change to 2.0. You don't need to change your design to use 2.0 but you do need to change the foundation of your site. Secondly, search engines can't see your site. When I looked at your site, I looked at the code and not the design (at all, honestly). I found two doc types in every page. What does that mean? Let's say you're building a house, and as most people know, a building needs a foundation and one roof. What if an architect handed you a plan with TWO foundations, one at the base of the house and one in the middle of the 2nd floor, as well as a roof between every floor? It's not possible, right? Your site has two foundations. That alone will cause search engines to pass you up because there are millions of sites online and engines are picky today. Web 2.0 is absolutely necessary to be indexed by spiders across the Internet. Simply adding keywords and relative terms in your META tags is meaningless if your code has errors. Even if your site is error-free, it takes much, much more than keywords & titles, to make your SE friendly. It takes modern code. Search engines, like Google, are not going to refer business to a site that doesn't meet a certain standard, and to meet that standard, you must start with the proper foundation and code. A perfect example is Disney's UK store that launched with Web 1.0. It flopped, even with a name like Walt Disney behind it. They discovered pretty quickly that Web 1.0 was out online, and their new store was closed soon after it launched.

Yahoo should be used as a tool to building a site, much like PHP. There are tons of developers on eLance and other sites who can code a Yahoo store with any feature that you desire and for much, much less than $3000.

For $3000, you are literally being robbed. There are 1000s of sites online that are valuable resources for learning the basics. For $3000, your site should be cutting-edge with truly live data/features, and it's not even Web 2.0.

However, if money is not an issue and you don't mind if the site fails miserably in a search engine's eyes (the only eyes that matter SE generated new business online), then go for it. I think you'll be looking for a new developer pretty fast. I'd be surprised if the site can handle 10 simultaneous shoppers. Then again, you may not want a lot of customers or already have enough customers, and if so, then I'm sure the site is fine. It's sort of like putting a store on a dark alley. For some businesses, a dark alley and word of mouth are more than enough. However, if you hope to grow your business, then most people wouldn't pick the never-traveled location in the dark alley.

Ever hired a mechanic who didn't know what he was doing? That's the kind of developer that you've hired. For $3000, you should have a top of the line site that more than complies with the latest standards, not a cut & paste job with broken HTML using a FREE programming language (PHP). Web 1.0 was the first version of the Internet. It's similar to using DOS when everyone else uses Windows. You'll get left behind before you even get started because you're starting on the wrong foot.

When I opened my first shop in 1999, I got my first order within hours and made $10,000 in my first 2 weeks. I had never sold anything in my life until I opened this store online selling unique goods from Japan, and I only had a couple competitors. I knew nothing about the Internet. Today, I know a lot about how to run a business online, I have 1000s of competitors, and what happened for me easily in 1999 is truly impossible today. A solid foundation and a properly coded site are absolutely necessary to make it online today.
                                                      jewelmedia Newbie
                                                      Hi Bill,
                                                      Let me begin by saying that I am a freelance web designer and I've developed several e-commerce sites. Two things jump out immediately: First, the Black background can be intimidating and does not fit well with the theme of your site. The Burgundy text on the Checkout page can e hard on the eyes (not enough contrast) Next, it appears as though the designer has has not properly constrained the images on the "Snapshots" page. The images of Winston and Boomer and stretched. It looks like they needed to make the images the same size. Good functionality!
                                                        WEBillions Adventurer
                                                        Hi Jonah,

In case you want a continual stream of advice about your site versus the great advice you'll get here but only once, you should you should create a list of people willing to look at your site from time to time (reminders help) and let you know what they think. Ask friends, family, people on where, anyone. You could even create a Facebook group for people willing to help you out.
                                                          tokyov Wayfarer
                                                          I'm curious to know what ever happened with Johan305? Did you pay someone else to fix your store? I only ask because the current site is 1000% better than the original site that you asked us about. I note you're using Google Analytics now, have the verify tags in your header, have SEO friendly URLs, etc. None of that was on the original site.

I also found you on Google just now with "ëlegant collar" (page 2) but I had checked over 6 months ago and couldn't find your listed, at all, in Google. Even searching your domain name did not return results on Google but it's looking much better now. You just need to get to page 1. Start focusing on 3-4 words and once you're on page 1 with those words, then move to the next words. It would help if you used specific titles on each page without repeating the same words from page to page. That may be hurting you with PR right now because you're not on page one with any keywords right now, and there can be a huge difference between page 1 & 2 listings on Google.

Pet jewelry is a booming business. I know someone who developed this site:
                                                          You should take a look at it. It might give you some design ideas. I think your site would be more attractive if you lightened up a bit and made it easier on the eyes, as well as added support for accessibility (screen readers, color blind, etc). That's the only problem that I see with it now. It's not very friendly in terms of a fun layout for pet gifts.