Post a new topic
    7 Replies Latest reply on Nov 28, 2007 2:29 PM by CorpCons08

Starting new Business

adamani1 Newbie
      Hi, I am Animesh Damani and i am starting a new Business as a part of my current college coursework.
      The Business has been named Pens.4.You.
      My business will be selling customized wooden pens that are eco-friendly and of high quality. I am importing my pens from India and am getting it manually engraved as opposed to laser engravings.
      Manually engraving the pen looks more appealing as compared to a laser engraving which most of the competitors in the market offer.
      As of now i am planning to sell the pen in the retail market for around $10 and for $5 when the order is above 100. I can drop lowest to $4.25 when the order is above 1000.
      I have developed a business plan and would appreciate your help on how to sell the product and to whom.
      I would be greatly obliged if you could help in any way.
      Thanks for reading.
        • Re: Starting new Business
          BDS INC Adventurer
          Wow sounds like a great product. If it were me, I'd start with the local specialty stores in your area. Smaller retailers were you won't have to jump through tons of hoops to get at a buyer. Also, what about your school and the universities in your area? Sounds like a great product to sell to the university community, the pens can be engraved and area ECO friendly.
            LUCKIEST Guide
            Hi, Is this going to be a real business or part of your college coursework??

Great name for the business and good to know you have an established business plan.

Part of the bus plan should include "marketing" to sell the product.

When you say manually engraved, you are talking about the whole order having the same

engraving, like a bank or a hotel, a college or a business.

That is a great selling point. Then there is SCORE, both on line and in person.

SCORE helps people FREE in business.

Good luck, LUCKIEST
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
                adamani1 Newbie

This will be a real business and i do have marketing plan in place. However, i am a bit confused with regards to getting my product sold quickly because the business will be operational only for 4months starting in December.

I am wondering with regards to getting my product sold in bulk. Who would be a definite buyer of it??
                    LUCKIEST Guide
                    Part of the marketing plan is who you plan to sell your product to.

Where are you located?? What state??

December is a hard time to sell a new product, as so many people have plans made and

are a holiday mood.

Think big, Companies that want to have give away's with their name on the pens,

like Bank of America, Insurance Companies, Hospitals, Universities and Hotels.

Time is a big factor. Again good luck, LUCKIEST
                    adamani1 Newbie

The pen can be engraved with whatever you want. You can order 1000 pieces and have a different engraving on every piece.
                    Lighthouse24 Ranger

If I'm envisioning your product accurately, I'd contact the Parent Associations of area high schools and colleges, and regional chapters of various professional associations (Engineers, CPAs, Attorneys, Project Managers, etc.). Both groups are easy to get to, and they are often looking for items like this that can be engraved with a school name/mascot or a professional designation/seal. The quantity pricing would allow them to resell these pens as a fundraiser or give them out as recognition awards. Hope this helps. Good luck!
                        CorpCons08 Ranger
                        I very much agree with Lighthouse on this topic. Staying local right now and building your business is a great idea. Once you see how that goes, you may want to introduce your products on the Internet and maybe setup an ecommerce website. And as LUCKIEST says and never gets repremanded by BofA but I seem to, then there is Skolnick & Associates International which would be more than happy with helping you to develop and grow your business.