Post a new topic
    11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 4, 2008 3:07 PM by blueoryx

Easy web design software with purchasing capabilities

simon07 Wayfarer
      Can someone plz recommend an easy web design software package to advertise products and customers can make a purchase? I want to put up a simple website that showcases images of products (e.g. my wife's custom designed jewelry) and users should be able to browse around, put it in their shopping cart and pay. I don't know where to start. I am not a net guru my any means so would like an easy - no brainer solution. I appreciate people taking the time to respond.
        • Re: Easy web design software with purchasing capabilities
          Ed O'Gee Adventurer
          Try GoDaddy.com in addition to allowing you to buy a domain, they have inexpensive email, site building and e-commerce tools. Plus there are tons of developers on this board who could help you build a site.
            Lighthouse24 Ranger

I agree with Ed -- whoever is hosting your domain probably has tools and templates (for free or very inexpensive) that allow a novice to build a simple e-commerce website. As for a package you could purchase/download, NetObjects Fusion is decent and easy to use. Either option would let you create a simple site quickly to get up and running. Once the site is live for a time, you'll get a better idea of what you want in terms of style and functionality, plus you'll have good idea of what professional design and development services are worth. Hope this helps. Good luck!
              Momentum Wayfarer
              I think Simon is looking for something that is EASY. Godaddy or most of the other software's out in the market are most of the time not that easy to use. They offer too much to get started in a easy way and most of the users get confused and they end up in spending more money and time than what was anticipated initially.

I would suggest that you should shop around for customized e-commerce site, that is flexible, speaks and works for your business exactly the way you want rather than living with adjustments made here and there on a pre-build site.

If you think that your business has good market appeal, I would suggest you to go for a customized solution. You can shop around for professional website developers and easily get a decent quote within your budget. Just write down a basic document with your needs/thoughts and send it out for a quote. On request we can also provide you a quote that suits your pocket and business needs.
              1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  Lighthouse24 Ranger

I guess "easy" just depends on your perspective. If middle school kids doing a class project can download a tool and use it to build 5 - 7 page e-commerce websites with no adult help other than a link to a PayPal account, I consider it "easy to use." (2 weeks after the project was assigned, one site had already sold 170 books.) On the other hand, when the task is "shop around for professional website developers . . ." well, I haven't found the "easy button" for that yet.
                      Momentum Wayfarer
                      Lighthouse,
                      I agree what you are saying. Here we were discussing a business website to sell jewelry. Which I think needs to be professional, unique, great looking and that speak for business itself.

What school children did is a good job and I appreciate that. Who are the actual buyers or for how long they will keep selling at this pace, I don't want to discuss. The example you brought in attention is good, thank you.

Regarding "On the other hand, when the task is "shop around for professional website developers . . ." well, I haven't found the "easy button" for that yet." I agree with what you are saying and you already answered this question in the first line of your post "It just depends on your perspective" . One can find tons of links on google or yahoo for professional developers or freelancing websites, reaching right people can be easy for some and tedious/impossible for others.
                          Lighthouse24 Ranger

Momentum,

I hope our "point-counterpoint" dialogue is helpful to Simon07 (and others with a similar question). After all, it's HIS perspective that really matters here. I appreciate your comments.

If Simon's wife were an established jewelry maker with name recognition and an industry reputation -- or if she were operating a brick and mortar jewelry store making it's first jump into on-line sales -- I'd absolutely agree that a unique, professional website design is called for. I would not advocate that he do it himself.

I gathered from the question that this is a hobby or "weekend craft" type business now, and that Simon and wife are exploring the possibility of expanding it to the Internet (lots of crafters are doing that, because customers who may not buy at a show or fair will take a business card or brochure and buy from a website later -- in these cases, the site visitors already "know" the seller and have arrived at the site with an intent to buy something).

The advantage of a do-it-yourself approach in that case is that is provides a cheap and fast way to find out if you can actually sell the products you have on-line. (There are countless postings in this community by people who've spent big bucks on websites and got tons of visitors, but haven't sold a thing -- and they are writing to ask us "why not?" Often, the sad truth is like this: Just because my friends and I think my original Christmas songs are nice doesn't mean I should put them on a CD and have a professional website built to sell it on-line.).

I think the DIY approach also forces the "casual" business person to really think about her marketing strategies, products, and customers -- because she will be the one writing and plugging that content into the templates. Once the site is up and running, she will discover about twenty things a day for the first couple of months that she wants to change or that can be improved. She can change it immediately, and see (and measure) the results herself. She will also learn how much of a potential market exists in the world beyond her current customer base. With all that info, she can decide if she wants to expand the business further. If she does, she can then approach a professional web designer with clear set of design ideas and marketing objectives, and with all the basic content (product descriptions and such) written, refined, edited, and ready to go -- all of which will make the designer's job easier.

I appreciate your perspective and comments, and concur with your advice for an established enterprise -- just not necessarily for a new "hobby/casual" business endeavor. Either way, I hope others find our discussion helpful. Thank you sincerely for participating!
                          1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      simon07 Wayfarer
                      Yes looking for something super easy. I will research the suggestions. By the way I have not even purchased a domain name yet. Just collecting information right now. My wife is trying to sell her beads/jewelry and I know she will eventually want a website.
                        Adventurer
                        Easy ecommerce without the coding and hassles of hosting.

While others have pointed you to goDaddy and similar hosting services (which are fine products and companies - we use goDaddy for domains and some hosting), I'd like to point you towards 2 solutions for online ecommerce, without any coding on your part, and low fees.

And no, I do not have ANY financial interest (ownership, affiliate, etc) in either of these services (grin)

www.shopify.com -- see their stores and www.shopify.info -- build one yourself (no programming req'd)

www.bigcartel.com

An amazing array of features, very easy to use admin (for you to add.edit.delete products and other content), and a nice simple way for you to get started.

Do they do every last little thing that a full-featured ecommerce engine does? No, but for the price and ease of use, they do a LOT, and for not-a-lot of money (about $20-30 a month, no setup fees).

Hope that helps.
                          naveen Wayfarer

Hi,

Please note lots of shopping cart companies say NO SET UP
                          FEE but they charge more commission on every sale you make.

So please see this side too.

We are also in silver jewels ……………

Naveen

(India)
                            blueoryx Newbie
                            There is a new solution out there that is as easy as easy gets and only 40/month.

Mine!

I didn't name it SIMPLE CMS and SIMPLE Shopping Cart for nothing!

It is made specifically for users that aren't very technical at all/ all that is required is the ability to be able to read, fill in a form, and click save. seriously!

anyway, check it out and see if it will suit your needs.

www.blueoryx.com/simple-shopping-cart/
                            demo.blueoryx.com