Post a new topic
    24 Replies Latest reply on May 29, 2008 9:05 PM by Emile Yarder

EBAY POWERSELLER'S ADVISE

brainbag Wayfarer
      Hi Everyone,
      I want to know if there is any e-bay powerseller here that can help or advise me on selling on ebay.I want to start selling cd's and dvd movies on ebay,blujay,and other auction sites.I understood that your keywords and having inventory control of your products matters alot.

These are the products i intend to sell.Am not going to use dropshipping method i will be ordering in bulks and shipping from my house.Pls,advise me on how to attract buyers and what keywords to use if am to sell these products.My shipping method will be usps flat.

P.S,Am not seeking advise from powersellers alone to all and sundry.

Thanks in advance for your assistance.

rgds,

Brainbag.
        • Re: EBAY POWERSELLER'S ADVISE
          DomainDiva Ranger
          There is one of those 'dummies' books available to teach you how to seel on EBay. There is also an EBay community that will help 'newbies' get started.
            CorpCons08 Ranger
            I would recommend http://www.auctiva.com*. It is one of the few services available completely for free that build autions for you, including graphical templates,picture scrolling, etc. Please check them out and let us know how your small venture does.
                Ed O'Gee Adventurer
                Again great post from Corp - I concur. I have a friend in Aiken, SC that uses activa.com and he makes a killing selling T shirts on aution sites. He was working for the state for 16 years and made so much money selling T-shirts he quit his job.
                  brainbag Wayfarer

Thanks guys!Especially corpcons08.I will try auctiva.Am still trying to get a good wholesaler that i can buy in bulk from.Most of the ones i saw are either selling too high or they are not selling new releases and they wont tell you.

I still welcome advise fromeverybody on locating wholesalers.Currently am trying to find them on worldwide brands but unfortunately no luck uptil now.

rgds,

Samson.
                  Lighthouse24 Ranger

Are you looking for a wholesaler for physical product -- music CDs and movie DVDs? Would you then be reselling them through an ebay store? If so, let me know -- I have some industry background that may help.
                      brainbag Wayfarer

Hi Lighthouse,
                      Yes,That is what am looking for.I am looking for wholesalers of cd's,movie dvd's and games.I will be buying in bulk from them and be selling it on ebay and other online auction sites for now.I intend to sell them of my e-commerce website and retail stores aswell but those two depends on my success on ebay.

I will really appreciate your help.

rgds,

Brainbag.
                      Lighthouse24 Ranger

The two largest music and video wholesalers are Handleman Company and Anderson Merchandisers -- they distribute product from every major label and studio as well as hundreds of indies. They service the music and video departments of every big box store in the U.S. (it isn't Target or WalMart employees who set-up and stock items in their music departments, it's Handleman or Anderson employees working on-site as what used to be called "jobbers"). Both companies also operate Internet fulfillment and shipping centers for physical products purchased on-line, and digital media libraries for products purchased for download.

I've worked with that industry as a consultant for about twelve years, and while I hate to sound discouraging, I'm not sure a small business like yours could get "mainstream" wholesale product. You'd have to buy too much of it and price it too low to make any money. Further, most of the major labels and studios put fairly stringent limitations on how they allow their new releases to be distributed and priced -- both for marketing reasons and for protection against piracy. The distributor would need their collective okay to let you in to the system, as well.

That's not to say there aren't some opportunities in what you're trying to do. About ten to fifteen years ago, Latin and Tejano music was getting huge in the southwest U.S., but both distributors were slow to pick up on the trend. There was a three or four year window where someone could have served that consumer market centrally and made a fortune (before Anderson took the lead and placed large Latin music sections in those WalMart stores).

There are still opportunities like that. Because I have clients in the industry (possibly future competitors of yours), I can't offer you any specific clues here -- but let me suggest that you ask yourself this question: "What are people looking for today that they can't find at WalMart, Best Buy, amazon.com, etc.?" That's going to be the niche or genre that will make you money on ebay, and unlike "mainstream" products, the owners of these are often begging for distributors and retail exposure.

I know this advice was a little cryptic, but I hope it helped. Good luck to you.
                          brainbag Wayfarer

Hi Lighthouse24,

Wow!Thanks for an in-depth,non-bias nothing short of precision analysis.I know one thing for sure you really know what you are talking about.I totally agreed with what you said.But when it comes to selling online,wheither it's on ebay or e-commerce websites we all agreed on one thing and that is having control of your products and not relying on dropshippers because many of them out there are rip offs.They either rip you off by late deliveries,no so quality products or high prices.And these and many more are the last thing you want when it comes to selling online.That is why am looking for small products like cd's and dvd's that i can buy at wholesale quantity.I want to ask you one question.Do you know the minimum order qty for these two companies?Secondly can you suggest any other products?Also you have to realise that it's not just getting unknown products that other bigger stores don't sell but it's selling products that people are looking for on the internet.

I appreciate another one of your sincere contributions.

rgds,

Brainbag.
                          Lighthouse24 Ranger

(Thanks, Dan)

Brainbag, I TOTALLY understand your desire not to rely on dropshippers, and do agree.

As far as your question about quantity, consider this: If a consumer knows he wants to go on-line and purchase a "mainstream" CD or DVD, he already has at least twenty low-cost places to order it. Let's take The Bourne Ultimatum DVD as an example. How many of those could you sell if you had it? Those twenty on-line retailers are selling about 31 units a minute of that SKU today (and it doesn't street until 12/11). Not to sound harsh, but if you're not in that league, why would a wholesaler bother with you?

Let's assume you ARE in that league. The minimum quantity you'd then have to buy would depend on the product and on the label or studio it came from. For a hot new release, they may process more than a half-million pre-orders through their Internet retail outlets (in one of several regional facilities this morning, a secure space twice the size of a gym had wall-to-wall laundry carts filled with pre-addressed Priority Mail envelopes that contained the DVDs that are streeting next Tuesday -- tens of thousands of units that consumers had been ordering on line, just waiting to be shipped). Before the envelopes were sealed, those annoying-to-peel-off labels were scanned and entered into several tracking systems for piracy protection, and so everyone who gets a cut will be able to audit and verify sales. So it isn't just about the product -- you also need the facility, equipment, and technology to do that for mainstream label/studio releases.

Let's assume you have all that. Being able to get "hot" product to sell always means having to accept and push some not-so-hot product from the same label or studio. For instance, for retailers to get The Bourne Ultimatum on DVD, they are generally having to accept certain quantities of other Universal new releases, too -- like maybe Bring It On and the Tammy trilogy. Major retailers can afford to take that stuff and have it sit around awhile (and they do so rather than risk running out of Bourne, High School Musical 2, or something else a mass audience might want). Since they have warehouse space and existing distribution networks with trucks to ship back whatever doesn't sell after six months, the cost of taking and returning all that is low. With the discounts offered on line, the unit profit margin is sometimes barely over a dollar on hot product -- so you have to have ample cash flow from the other products you're selling to be able to tie up money for six months on items you probably won't sell (and to pay for shipping back unsold product when it can finally be returned).

What I'm saying is that it's hard to compete with the high-volume, sophisticated, and fairly efficient operations that already exist for putting mainstream CD and DVD physical product into the hands of consumer. Even so, if you believe you have the existing customer base and volume, the facilities, technology, and money to compete, then you might contact one of the companies I mentioned and see what happens. That's sort of how one of the major truck stops became a CD and DVD reseller (they also followed the niche/genre strategy I suggested in my last post - for example, heavy emphasis on country and comedy CDs in their case).

As for other products you could sell, it's exactly what I suggested in my previous post. Ask yourself, "What products do people want?" If you know people want an item, then look to see if there's a retail outlet for it on line. If there's not, or if you believe you can beat out whatever on-line retailers exist, then that's an item worth considering and exploring -- and the suppliers or wholesalers for that item will WANT to hear from you (because unlike the mainstream CD/DVD example above, you will provide them with a new outlet that can make an impact on their bottom line).

Success in SMALL business is often all about being outside the mainstream. Selling 100,000 units of a mainstream DVD with a $1.20 unit profit margin nets you $120,000, but it may also require you to sit on $175,000 in lame inventory for six months, and ship it back at your expense. A better choice might be to offer the DVD of a film with a small cult following that no one can find anywhere. You might only sell 1,500 units, but with a unit profit margin of $14.27. That's $21,405 in profit on that item with fewer expenses, returns, and cash flow problems. Build a catalog with a few dozen things like that and you could have yourself a nice little on-line business.

I've probably said too much . . . good luck.
                              brainbag Wayfarer
                              Hi Lighthouse24,
                              What else can i say but a BIG THANK YOU and i pray that GOD blesses you.I will act upon what you told me and am sure i will come out with something unique and i hope will give you a positive feedbak about it.

Thanks once again and GOD bless you for me.

rgds,

Samson.
                                  LUCKIEST Guide
                                  Lighthouse ALWAYS gives great answers. ( I really enjoy reading your answers and the math
                                  examples shows that thinking outside the box, can be profitable).
                                  Brainbag, I am confused. Your members bio says "Business Type: Sports and Recreation/Fitness"
                                  How did you get from Sports to Ebay seller??
                                  LUCKIEST
                                      CorpCons08 Ranger
                                      Lighthouse is a great contributor on topics such as these. He definitely thinks them through.
                                      Samson, I too am curious why the change of industry or venture.
                                          brainbag Wayfarer

Hi Corpcons08,

Thanks for such a very good question.It's not a change of industry since selling cd's and dvd's are still part of entertainment.Neither would i call it a change of venture.Let me explain a little bit further the youtube like website i intend to build is capital intensive and these days it takes alot of time and efforts to convince people to invest in you and projects.So i decide to dabble into something much more cheaper until i can raise the money to do what i want to do.

Secondly concerning my background which is film-making.Film-making is capital intensive too and that is why am trying to make use of what i have now.I'm still into the two projects but they will take time if i want perfection and for that it's worth waiting for and taking my time on.

I hope i have answered your questions convincingly thanks in taking time to ask and for keeping tab on me.

rgds,

Samson.
                                              CorpCons08 Ranger
                                              Samson,

Thank you very much for takin the time to follow up and let me know more about this idea. I wish you the very best.

Regards,
                                              CorpCons08
                                                poloi3eai2 Wayfarer
                                                I am very experienced as an Ebay powerseller and have sold a WIDE variety of things. The best thing you can do to start off is check the completed listings in your search. Check the box on the left that says completed listings. Then you can see all the listings in your search that have ended in the past 2 weeks. I personally dont think you can make much off of brand new released movies on Ebay unless you can get them at ridculously low prices.My suggestion would be to talk to your local Blockbusters. I've seen them sell used solid titles for like $3 and they're only about 2 months old from release date. I bet if you buy big bulk you can get them for even cheaper and resell them for like $5 or more. Blockbuster continually tries to get rid of movies to make room for the newest releases. You can probably get new released like 3-4 weeks after release date. They usually have a big stock of new release movies for the first few weeks to keep up with the demand. But after like 3-4 weeks not as many people rent the movies so they take some off the shelves to make room for the next new release.
                                            Lighthouse24 Ranger
                                            You're welcome, Samson. Blessings to you, as well.
                                          Lighthouse24 Ranger
                                          I just noticed this question is still showing "unanswered" -- is there any other input I can offer on this topic right now? Let us know . . .
                                            designer Tracker
                                            Typically, if I am looking for a DVD or CD, I just put in the title. I don't see where fancy keywords or hidden words would help? For example...there is a Christmas movie I love to see each year called: "The Night They Saved Christmas". It is with Jaclyn Smith and Art Carney. I keep looking and looking for the DVD, but it only came out on VHS Tape. So, from time to time, I will seach on eBay... "The Night They Saved Christmas" and that pulls up the items for auction. I guess my point is...nothing else, nothing extra is going to give me anything else. It is what it is.
                                              maggiechris Wayfarer
                                              Thank you for your reply. I appreciate you sharing that w/me.
                                                Emile Yarder Adventurer
                                                Hello to all! What I can share here now is only my recent experience! On Ebay.be

My address is brusselsexpresshipmentbelgium

I just start from 3 months now with some personal stuff.
                                                And with the success, I want to be more specialized.

Many people asked me to supply them with my electronic products
                                                • USB original drives Keys- and now, I am becoming a Wholesaler
                                                of that kind of products at real good prices.

I found manufacturers and suppliers and now I'll get my own buying office in China.

My web wholesaler site is under construction at the moment.
                                                Designed by a very good professional: www.goldmarketing.eu

My advice is:
                                                Start with what you have.
                                                Buy a book about how to write good sentences
                                                or to make a good direct marketing campaign (I use the Bob Stone's book)
                                                In USA it's called 'Successful Direct marketing Methods'
                                                published by National Textbook Company, Lincolnwood.
                                                Write short messages and descriptions.
                                                Offer quick shipment for free.
                                                Start under 1,00 $ for maximum days!
                                                Offer many items different or similar (specialization is better)
                                                Find rare products with bog profit ('De luxe' watches for example or electronic products, security etc.)
                                                Look your sales every day: in the morning and before going to bed. If not you can't sleep well. it's very exciting. And go milliardaire! Thanks to all !