Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on Dec 17, 2009 3:19 PM by coniconi

I want my own clothing line and don't know where to start!

estee1 Newbie
      Hi Everyone :) I'm 17 and my passions in life include business and fashion design. I am very ambitious and want to start my line now so that by time I graduate in '13 with a business degree and fashion design degree I'm known with a customer base. I would want to create my small line and sell it in nearby boutiques. In my personal life I've designed nearly 20 pieces I use in my wardrobe, and have received numerous compliments on the designs! :) My only concerns are where to start. I have a few questions 1) Should I use a manufacturer? (if so recommend one with simple layout of how the process works?!) 2) It would be much less costly to intertwine wholesale items that I found online but if I purchased them can I put my own tag on them or is that illegal? 3) Can I buy clothes from resale shops and totally redesign them with my tag on them? 4) Do I need government consent about opening my own line? Sorry I'm a little confused and I'd appreciate answers! Thanks for reading and have a great day! Comment comment comment....
        • Re: I want my own clothing line and don't know where to start!
          LUCKIEST Guide
          I want my own clothing line, Welcome

If I was 17 and I want my own clothing line, I would

Develop a Business Plan and contact SCORE. SCORE is FREE.

Who are you?? Go to Members page and share some info.
          <!--Session data-->
            knowhosting Wayfarer
            I think it is REALLY fantastic that you are starting so young! Congrats!! :)

Regarding your questions :
            1) Should I use a manufacturer? (if so recommend
            one with simple layout of how the process works?!)

You probably don't want to get a "manufacturer" until you can aford all the fees. It will be expensive and a lot of research and all kinds of stuff - mostly expensive :) What you probably want to do is talk to some local sewing places (if you can't find stores - put an add out on craigslist looking for individuals) to see whether you can hire them to do piece work. You design and they make for you and charge for a piece at a time. There are many people who can sew and are always looking for this kind of work. Note that this also means that you're going to have to have money to invest before you start getting a return. That is, you'll have to pay for the work before you sell the pieces.

2) _It would be much
            less costly to intertwine wholesale items that I found online but if I
            purchased them can I put my own tag on them or is that illegal?_

Sometimes that wholesale people will allow you put your own tags on the items. You will need to ask whether this is possible. But even if you can't it's okay to sell other people's items :)

3) _Can
            I buy clothes from resale shops and totally redesign them with my tag
            on them?_

Maybe. It really depends on how much work you do to the item.

4) Do I need government consent about opening my own line?

No, you do not need government consent to open your line but, seeing as you're only 17, you do need the cosent of your parents. Until you are 18, you cannot legally enter any contracts or form a business. But, there are a lot of things you can start doing while you wait until you turn 18 - start planning and going out and talking to businesses in your community. You can certainly start sketching designs and talking to boutique owners to see whether they would be willing to carry your desings.

Good luck!! :)

~~~~~~~~~
            http://pagebuzz.com - Do It Yourself Website system - everything included for $9.99, even a shopping cart!
              jimmybelt Adventurer
              I am very glad to know you.
              This is Alan who is working in garment department of Jiangsu Holly Corporation in Nanjing China.
              We manufacture jacket/shirt/t-shirt/trousers/dress/skirt for both adult and children. They are good quality and low price.
              Hope there is a chance to manufacture products for you in future.
              My email: alan@jsholly.com
                coniconi Wayfarer

Hi, welcome

We welcome your business
                needs. We have over 40 years of outstanding American made quality
                production, we are capable to take your
                small to high volume production as wells samples or runways. We also provide
                Patterns, Makers, Grading and much more.

Our unparalleled integrity, exceptional
                experience and unwaivering commitment to our customers

are our badge of
                honor.

If you give us the opportunity, we will give you 100% American made satisfaction.