Post a new topic
    15 Replies Latest reply on Nov 30, 2007 7:53 PM by LUCKIEST

International Advice

equinina Newbie

My business has grown a lot since I started two years ago and the arrangement i made with the tour operator on the ground in the country i provide travel for is no longer benefitting me. Does anyone on here have any experience in the area of international tour providers and what is correct policy and procedure. I seem to be doing a lot of work and giving too many commisions away. There has to be a better way for me to do business as my accountant is saything that it is not business. Sorry if i seem vague here but not sure how to word the question. I am hopeful there is someone on here who knows exactly what I am talking about. Thanks in advance.
        • Re: International Advice
          Lighthouse24 Ranger
          May I ask which country?
              equinina Newbie
              Peru - http://www.ancientsummit.com Guess I should have mentioned it. Thanks.
                  XLNCCORP Newbie

Instead of going to a travel agent, you can directly have a tie-up with big travel agencies like KLM, Star Alliance, etc...( These are in U.S , I am not sure about Peru.). Thus you can save commisons on agent and you can get a cheeper rate. Let me know you views or concerns on this.

Regards!

XLNC
                      equinina Newbie
                      Thanks but it doesn't work like that in Peru. Those are for big hotels, etc and we do small tours and many of the hotels have 20-40 rooms. They don't link in with those type of systems. My question is really to look for a proper way to structure commissions between myself and operators I use down there. I am doing a lot of work up until the time the passengers arrive in Peru. Lots of hours and personal attention. They take over in Peru but wind up making more than I do. I think. So am looking to create a solution where it is attractive to both of us.
                  Lighthouse24 Ranger
                  I have a U.S. client with mining operations in Peru, and they make frequent trips back and forth. I'll ask a few questions the next time I talk with them, and see if they have any travel industry contacts or suggestions that might be of help. (It will probably be a week or so before I can find out anything and get back to you.)
                      equinina Newbie
                      Thank you for your concern. The answers I am hoping to find are quite specific and would really need the expertise of someone in the travel business. I am running a fairly successful new business with many of my travellers writing wonderful posts on the travel forums. I am looking to learn proper procedures with ground operators there. If you can direct me to those answers, I would be most grateful. Thanks again
                      Y Not Mag Newbie
                      Greetings Equinina,
                      1. Yes, I would have to agree with Lighthouse24: What country please? 2. More importantly is there a way to cut out the middle man? In other words do you have enough capital to also compete with the Tour Operator by coming up with your own Tour Operating business? You could train and appoint someone to run this part of your business to help increase more customers to your portion of the business. 3. Also, would it also make sense to contact some other Tour Operators in different countries?
                      Please analyze my #2 and #3 advice based on your current position and see which direction will be better for you.

Please provide any additional feedback.

Thank you,
                      Jamila Serrant
                          equinina Newbie
                          I am not in Peru full time so I must have a middle man. This type of business requires a middle man for many reasons. My situation is somewhat unique in that most agents ouside of Pere are general travel agents who book anywhere in the world and are not experts on one place. I only book Peru and I am somewhat of an expert after living there for so many years. I have all of my own connections and contacts there and I instruct my "middle man" as to what I want them to do and how to carry that out. They price the tours and send them back to me. I add my commision and send it on to the passengers which is normal. But I do a lot more work on each trip than the average travel agent who just sends an inquiry for an itinerary with no real knowledge of the place and total dependancy on the operator in that country. So I am in a quandry about what is correct for me to want to pay the operator. I think I deserve a bigger discount because I do so much of the work to put the trips togehter and my profit margin is looking very low right now.
                          LUCKIEST Guide
                          E, You have been in business 2 years and you have an accountant. GREAT
                          Have you developed a Business and Marketing Plan?? A business plan is a great tool that
                          can help you succeed faster. The plan changes as your business ideas change
                          I do NOT have any experience in the area of international tour providers, however I am a
                          SCORE Counselor and you can try SCORE online and maybe find a counselor with experience
                          in the area of international tours.
                          Good luck, LUCKIEST
                          1 of 1 people found this helpful
                              equinina Newbie
                              Thanks - i actually did call SCORE last week and waiting to hear. In the meantime I am staying on course. I don't have a business/marketing plan and never had the time to write one. This thing just started to grow (because I do a great job) and I am in a tailspin. Hopefully SCORE can help me.
                                  LUCKIEST Guide
                                  E, Please let me know how you make out after visiting SCORE.
                                  I would be very happy to help with your business plan.
                                  You can also get great FREE info at "www.score.org"
                                  Again, LUCKIEST
                                  1 of 1 people found this helpful
                                      equinina Newbie
                                      L- I don't know the first thing about business or business plans. I am just doing this - it is kind of crazy and yet I am becomming famous on the travel forums. I assume there is a charge for a business plan, correct? The thought of having to do more paperwork is not appealing to me. I just had to write an article for The International Eco-Tourism Society newsletter TIES which is a passion and part of my mission statement (if I had one) and i barely had time for that. I would need a lot of help to write a business plan.
                                      Thanks. Have you seen my web site?
                                          LUCKIEST Guide
                                          SCORE does NOT charge. SCORE counseling and help is FREE.
                                          SCORE is FREE both in person and on line.
                                          Maybe the article you wrote for The International Eco-Tourism Society newsletter TIES
                                          cold be the start of your business plan.
                                          Can we see the article?? LUCKIEST
                                              equinina Newbie
                                              L- are you saying YOU can help me as a SCORE person? The article is being published in the next newsletter for TIES but I can send the draft. It has photos, etc. If you email me I can send you info and the draft and other info about other projects I am working on. I have a world of plans for my company. You see, I have been involved in Peru for over 20 years. If you read my website you will get an idea. Let me know how to proceed. I am feeling hopeful. thanks,