Post a new topic
    1 Reply Latest reply on Aug 18, 2009 1:00 PM by bm911tax

    Paying a personal assistant

    puppylove Newbie

      If I am not a business, but want to hire a personal assistant, how do I find out what I'm responsible fore, how to pay them & file taxes, etc.
        • Re: Paying a personal assistant
          bm911tax Adventurer

          It will depend if the personal assistant will be a sub-contractor or an employee.

          If he/she is a sub-contractor then you only will need to issue a 1099 at the end of the year for the payments made to him/her for the work.


          If he/she is an employee then you need:

          • To withhold Federal, State and FICO taxes from each paycheck
          • Many states will require you to pay for workers comp insurance and unemployment insurance
          • File quarterly and annual payroll tax returns to the IRS and State if required.