Post a new topic
    5 Replies Latest reply on Aug 21, 2009 7:36 PM by stingybrims

How/where do I find demographic data on hat purchasers?

stingybrims Newbie
      I am trying to write a business plan for a (bootstrap) retail hat store. I am disabled with very limited cash resources, so I can't afford a consultant. A plea for help in "Hatlife's newsletter" (by the way the editor is TOPS!) yielded kind responses, sales offers from vendors, but no answers to my question. There must be a no cost/low cost source. Any help would be appreciated as I need to pick up my pace.
      Thank you
      Stingybrims
        • Re: How/where do I find demographic data on hat purchasers?
          LUCKIEST Guide
          demographic data, Welcome

Who are you?? Where are you?? Go to Members page and share some info.

*There is a magazine called "*demographics" that might help.

SCORE can also help. SCORE is FREE, Good luck
          <!--Session data-->
          <!--Session data-->
          <!--Session data-->
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            DomainDiva Ranger
            Go to the mall and start looking at the kinds of people that are wearing hats and what has they are wearing. Do your own research, it will help you understand what you are doing in a deeper way.
              DeeTee Wayfarer

Stingybrims, I would be cautious about using observation in determining a target demographic as your findings will undoubtedly be skewed. The fact is that headwear is such a broad category and appeals to every part of the demographic spectrum - Anyone from toddlers to seniors, people of all sex and races will buy hats. Since it seems you are selling a particular style of hat, your best place to start might be to call the manufacturer directly (or if you are producing them yourself, call another manufacturer who makes similar hats). They can probably provide you with a demographic profile directly, based on their own sales and research. If they don't have this, find out what stores they are distributing to. You will be able infer demographic information this way as well. Just as an example, if they sell to Hot Topic stores, then you know the target demographic is probably going to lean to females 13-30 years old. If their largest client is Eddie Bauer, then count on males 35-55 etc. etc.

Another option may be to rent a kiosk for a month or two at your local mall and sell your hats. Since you're on a limited budget, the sales of your hats should offsett the costs (and you might even make a few bucks!). Keep track of your customers and record their demographic information. You will definitely get a good read on your market by the end and have concrete data to work from.

Good luck with your venture!
              1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  stingybrims Newbie

DeeTee

Thanks for your kind words of caution.

I like your kiosk rental idea but they don't have them where I plan to locate the store. If I rented elsewhere I might confuse the customers. Or maybe set up the location for my competition.

I think I'll have to set up a table at the area's weekend Flea Market and do my survey.

I'm short on cash but long on passion, so I'll probably need all the luck I can muster!!!