Post a new topic
    2 Replies Latest reply on Aug 16, 2009 5:39 AM by LUCKIEST

How to Start a grocery store in Southern California

GEnterprise Newbie

I am new to this website. I would like to start by saying hello.
      The reason of my post is to get information on how to start a medium size grocery store in Los Angeles, particularly in within a Latino and Mexican community since my store will contain products that they are most attracted to them. Some items would be meets, cheeses, importd mexican drinks (garritos, sodas), and all kinds of items seen in larger stores like El Super and El Superior (I do not if anyone is familiar with these store located throught los angeles). The version of my store will be in a miniture skill, but large enough to accomodate enough products and people.
      I will like to know what I are the steps I should take to make my business a reality from the start-up cost to the documents I wll need to file and where would I need to go. I have never been in business before, but I believe I have a good business sense and I am very motivated and self motivated person. I would to find out where I can get information to get the large picture of what I would need to do.
        • Re: How to Start a grocery store in Southern California
          DeeTee Wayfarer

Let me start by saying that I think your idea is a good one. I'm in Los Angeles and know that the market for your proposed business is one that is thriving and growing. There is an El Superior not too far from where I used to live, and it is constantly buzzing.

I used to work for a large grocery chain in Canada as a brand manager and can tell you that one of the most time consuming aspects you will face is finding, securing, and managing your suppliers. Since grocery stores carry such a wide and diverse line of products, it is challenge to establish good supplier relationships (which is especially important since the industry works off of such narrow margins). For the company I worked for, we had 30 or so people whose full time job it was to manage suppliers and product lines. You can expect to deal with this on a much smaller scale.

Anyways, I think your first step should be to write a formal business plan. You'll be amazed at how many of the steps and your questions become clear, since the business plan itself addresses many of them. It would also be a good idea to speak with store owners to get their input as well. There is no substitute for experience, and someone who has been through the process of starting a successful grocery store can provide you with invaluable advice. If you're worried about coming off as potential competition, just speak with an owner in another city OR someone who is not direct competition (for example an Asian grocery store in Alhambra or Korea town?)

Good Luck!
          • Re: How to Start a grocery store in Southern California
            LUCKIEST Guide
            How to Start a grocery store, Welcome

DeeTee gave you good advice by developing a formal business plan. The plan serves as a tool to you, the owner and being within the Latino and Mexican community sounds like a win - win situation.

Do you know about SCORE?? SCORE is FREE and they can also help you.

Good luck, LUCKIEST
            <!--Session data-->
            <!--Session data-->