Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 20, 2007 10:54 PM by Lighthouse24

starting a new business-sole owner

dukey41 Newbie
      In the past 50 years, I have started and help start 12 business. I have been in sales, printing, water softners,various other enterprises. All of them are still flurishing. I did not know it but agent orange caught up with me at the age of 55. I turned all assets into a trust fund for my children and settled back to expire.
      I am now 66 and still fighting this condition. I want to get into a home based business that I can feel proud of and stand up for. I know that whatever the business is I will be sucessful with.
      I have only one little problem that can be overcome. My spouse, when I was in the hospital for 3 1/2 years, let all the bills go. I found in 2007, that 3 credit cards, although not much money, was in collections. I need to repair this unforunite cercimstance. I am at a dilemna at what to pursue.Would anyone have some ideas for a disabled veteran? All comments are welcome.
        • Re: starting a new business-sole owner
          LUCKIEST Guide
          It sounds like you are both a survivor and a winner. You have successfully been in 12 or more
          businesses over the past 50 years, so you know what it takes to develop a successful business.
          Start by visiting SCORE and a Credit Counselor. As you said, the credit is a little problem
          and can be repaired.
          SCORE on line or in person is FREE and they will help you start your next business.
          Good luck, LUCKIEST
            Ed O'Gee Adventurer
            Definitely contact SCORE as luckiest says but the your local veterans affair office should be able to direct you to how you can apply for federal grants and loans as you served our country so bravely.
              Lighthouse24 Ranger

The Small Business Administration (SBA) receives federal funding for the Veterans Business Outreach Program (VBOP). It provides "entrepreneurial development services such as business training, counseling and mentoring, and referrals for eligible veterans owning or considering starting a small business." (quoted from the SBA website)

As part of this program, Veterans Business Outreach Centers (VBOCs) conduct free entrepreneurial development workshops dealing specifically with the major issues of self-employment for veterans. Each client is afforded the opportunity to work directly with a business counselor who will assess his/her entrepreneurial needs and requirements, then assist the client in developing and maintaining a five-year business plan. The counselor will also analyze the strengths and weaknesses of the business plan to increase the probability of success.

VBOCs, working with other SBA resource partners, target entrepreneurial training projects and counseling sessions tailored specifically to address the needs and concerns of the service-disabled veteran entrepreneur. They also provide assistance and training in such areas as international trade, franchising, accounting, etc.

Bottom line, there's a federal program that was created specifically for someone in your situation -- so check into it, and please let us know how you progress. As a veteran and a taxpayer, I'm not only hoping that a success story emerges here, I expect it to. Best wishes!