Post a new topic
10 Replies Latest reply: Aug 25, 2009 10:29 PM by vbn411 RSS

How will internet advertising evolve?

creativeiads Novice
Currently Being Moderated
How will internet advertising change? Will it become more intrusive? Or will it be part of every one who is online and make common people part of advertising..?
I welcome your thoughts.

Mike Varavooru,
http://creativeiads.com
  • Re: How will internet advertising evolve?
    DomainDiva Master
    Internet advertising is the most obnoxious mess. Banner ads, pop ups in the middle of a news story, those stupid dancing people. I despise the cutsy things that people try to do to get noticed. The one I really hate is the People Magazine pop ups, I also hate the ad pages that fill the screen and you have to be subjected to 15-30 seconds of someones idiotic idea of music, verbal garbage and crummy design before you can get to your link!!!!
    John_6x6 Novice
    Mike,

You already have the answer. It's right here - word-of-mouth social media. Yes, everyone is a marketer whether they know it or not whenever they mention or link to a product or service in personal communications online - Twitter, Facebook, etc. Any company realistically looking for the best and most effective marketing will invest time and resources into social media. Word of mouth is king and always will be. It is the current and future marketing strategy 101.
    John
    Iwrite Master
    I think it will evolve to a more TV like medium. I think it will get smarter and less intrusive. I pray that the websites get smarter and more relevant in their design and writing.

I don't think everyone will become part of advertising. There is a level of saturation that even the web will soon reach that should result in a backlash that spawns websites that restrict or exclude advertising. It has happened with every medium and it will happen with the internet. Look at how folks are feeling about banners.

Social marketing will find its natural place, right now we are forcing it in every situation and it is not always working.

I hope internet advertising gets smarter.
      creativeiads Novice
      But people are promoting products in blogs, etc in exchange for money. They are becoming part of this.
      This could be a trend.

Mike Varavooru,
      creativeiads.com
        DomainDiva Master
        Those promoting things in their blogs have a personal interest in the product or service they are promoting and think that their readers will as well. That alone is 'social networking word of mouth'.
        Iwrite Master
        I didn't say it would go away, I said it would find it's natural balance. There is a difference. I thought the question was about internet advertising? Internet advertising is more than social marketing.

Trends come and go, that is part of what a trend is.

Three years ago everyone needed a web banner but that has changed. I am saying everyone is jumping on the social marketing bandwagon without thinking about how to use it. This has to change.

There are companies that are using emails to market their business very well. The question is whether or not social marketing is right for every business? I'm not sure.

As for paying for blogs, the response to that is not all good. Even bloggers are divided over that practice.
          Iwrite Master
          Ask Delta Airlines and Time Warner Cable how social marketing works for them - both took a serious hit when unhappy customers launched full-scale attacks on their brands through social marketing sites.

Word of mouth is great when it works for you and toxic when it works against you. As an advertiser, you have less control over it than other paid forms of advertising on or off the web.

One happy customer tells a few folks about you but a pissed off one tells any and everyone who will listen.
    vbn411 Newbie
    Social networking sites like Facebook and Twitter make it much easier for businesses to find people that truly engage with their product and have a vested interest in it. I believe these two platforms willlead the way for advertising businesses big and small. This article by ReadWriteWeb shows how important it is for businesses to have a prescence on social media sites (85% of americans using social media think businesses should have a prescence there), http://www.readwriteweb.com/archives/majority_of_social_media_users_want_businesses_attention.php

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 100 points
  • Helpful Answers - 100 points