Post a new topic
    2 Replies Latest reply on Nov 26, 2007 3:15 AM by AdwordsExpert

Online gift cards using existing processing

TutaPoint Newbie
      We use CyberSource as our credit card processor and would like to offer gift cards during the holiday season. Does anyone know if there is a way to get gift cards that use the existing processor, so that we dont have to integrate a new processing system just to handle them?

Ideally we would like to use something like a Visa Gift Card, but that would only work on our site, not throughout the entire visa network.
        • Re: Online gift cards using existing processing
          LUCKIEST Guide
          TutaPoint, Great question. We had the same problem with CyberSource as our credit card processor and last year
          they said NO, there was no way to get gift cards that use our existing processor.
          They also suggested using Visa or Master card.
          Maybe somebody else has a better answer.
          LUCKIEST
          • Re: Online gift cards using existing processing
            AdwordsExpert Newbie

It looks like CyberSource offers an online gift card solution:
            http://www.cybersource.com/products_and_services/electronic_payments/gift_and_prepaid_certificates/

If you don't like that option, as far as I know, CyberSource and First Data have a processor relationship that allows you to use First Data's gift card solution with CyberSource. However, I've only seen it implemented on a Verifone terminal in a store, not online. My guess is that if it's purely online transactions, you can just get access to their website to manage it and CyberSource will know how to process it by the number.

Visa does offer a private label solution as well, where there's no Visa icon on the card, and they restrict it by merchant/terminal id. It's expensive, but if you've got a mid-dollar, high margin product, you'll be ok.

Finally, you might save a considerable amount of money in the long run by doing some quick development to enable gift cards and issue your own. Just a lookup on a database table, and for security, you can restrict write access to the table from the web user id. Save yourself a lot of time and money and deal with it yourself.