Post a new topic
    5 Replies Latest reply on Jul 23, 2009 6:30 PM by ferogers

Please help

ferogers Newbie
      I love to bake and I am a believer that you can turn your love into money so that is what I want to do. I am not good a marketing myself but I have the best cakes in my area. I can not afford to quit my day job to just do what I love so I wil have to start small from home.
      Elaine Rogers
      Eliza's Confections and Bakery
      A taste of grandma's
        • Re: Please help
          DomainDiva Ranger
          Why not contact some hotels or catering companies around town and see if they need any additions to their baking menus?

Offer to volunteer at some Little League or other childrens sporting events, pass out samples and a flier. I know Moms would buy cakes and other goodies for birthday parties and special events for their children.
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            LUCKIEST Guide
            Please help, Welcome I would be glad to help.

Who are you?? Where are you?? I am great at marketing.

How can I contact you and taste your best cakes??

LUCKIEST
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
              Tracker

Elaine:

I recently sold my fine dining restaurant so I have some experience in this area.

You will need to get in touch with your local health department and see what criteria they have in order for you to get a license and food handler's permit. Typically, they require that you go through food safety courses and that you operate out of a commercial kitchen.

The requirements / laws vary per area, so I can't say exactly what they require in SC, but I doubt that they will allow you to run this out of your home. I recommend that you find a restaurant that has a good reputation for cleanliness (you can ask for the health departments findings on their audits of the different restaurants in your area as the records are public records), and only operates one or two shifts per day (i.e. only breakfast and lunch or dinner only). These establishments will have some down time in their kitchen. Approach them and see what they would charge to lease out their kitchen for the hours that you need. They may be happy to make the extra money as the restaurant industry as a whole is struggling.

I am suggesting that you do this before creating a business / marketing plan to see if you can see some of the financial and health requirements that you must meet in order to get your business off the ground. If these requirements aren't a problem for you, I can assist you with additional steps.

Hope this helps.

Doug Dolan

The Solopreneur's Guide

http://thesologuide.com