Post a new topic
    31 Replies Latest reply on Jun 15, 2009 9:00 PM by Success4life

Any Idea's for a Landscape company needing more jobs

melandscape Newbie
      I have owned the company for a long time and have been doing pretty well up untill two years ago, we do custom to just the basics, We advertise in the phone books and have BOLD ads so we stand out, members of the BBB with an almost spotless record
      and we are now in debt up to our eye balls just trying to stay competitive, My question is does anyone have any idea how we can bring in new business, we figure flyers usually generate a small return for the amount of flyers that have to go out and local papers that go to the mail box don't work as well as it use to and as I said we already have ads in the phone books so am I left to knocking on doors
      all advise is much appreciated

The landscaper
        • Re: Any Idea's for a Landscape company needing more jobs
          smallbizcoach Newbie
          Well, with lots of debt, little money, and a struggling company you are left with only a few options.

The biggest one I would reccomend to you is to start knocking on some doors, hand out flyers, etc. I don't know where you live, but in our area landscaping is becoming dead since the snow is about ready to fall, BUT this is a great time to talk to people, give out quotes, etc.

I would also start networking. Start getting to know the people who you want to work for. Ask your clients for any of their family and friends who might need work done.

Most importantly, you might want to think about getting a part time job to help control the debt or to help eliminate it. One of the great resources that I would recommend is Dave Ramsey (www.daveramsey.com). Because of this man, I run two businesses completely debt free, without a single credit card and on cash.

Hope this helps!

Aaron
            LUCKIEST Guide
            You have been in business and owned the company for a long time, so you must know how to survive.
            Do you have an Accountant?? A good bookkeeping system like Quickbooks.
            The first step would be to CUT. How many people on payroll??
            When you read the newspapers the headlines say that home builders are having it rough.
            Landscapers seem to be in demand. Where are you located??
            Maybe a telephone campaign calling all your current and former clients and telling about SPECIALS
            (ie fall clean ups at XX% off). It is also a good time to remind your clients of any money they owe you.
            Finally there is SCORE. SCORE helps businesses for FREE on line or in person.
            They can help you with a Advertising or Marketing Plan.
            Good luck, LUCKIEST
              LT Lawn Care Wayfarer
              For me the biggest thing was linking up with local developers and those who flip houses. I actually hooked up with the guy who sold me my house. He put me in touch with a few property management firms as well as people he knew that were flipping houses. I don't do much advertising as word of mouth keeps me pretty busy. You should also look at local home owners associates to bid on common areas of land in subdivisions.
                LUCKIEST Guide
                L t Lawn Care has a Great solution. I live in New York and landscape company are extremely busy.
                This is their season. Think outside the box.
                LUCKIEST
                  Ed O'Gee Adventurer
                  Another thing to think about is lawn postings. Chemlawn does it all the time. Think about it, if you maintain a great lawn for your clients, what better way to advertise the quality of your work than with a lawn posting? Sometimes companies will put referral coupons on lawn postings - $10 off when you refer a friend, etc.
                    melandscape Newbie
                    Hello Everyone,

Thank you all for the ideas, I tried a few yesterday and I hope I get some calls today. We posted flyers in some of the grocery stores and knocked on a few doors, I have never nocked on doors before so that was interesting
                    I just wanted to thank you folks for the help,
                    I was reading another post and they were saying that the phone books are a waste of money and you should spend most of your advertising money on internet advertisement
                    do you all agree? I just signed a contract with DEX so I hope I get some calls, It was exspensive

Tony
                      Dwaz39 Wayfarer
                      LT has very good suggestions. Especially if you are marketing to people trying to flip their investments, showing the ROI on some landscaping work could really help. If you can show someone selling their house that $1,000 invested in some landscaping will add $3,000 to $4,000 to the sales price, that is a very good selling point. If you are going that route you might want to call some realtors and give them some cards so if they see someone who needs landscaping you can get some referrals. You could even give the realtor a small referral fee if it works out.
                        marktingcoach Newbie
                        You've asked how to bring in new business. There are a myriad of answers to that question, but fewer to the question you probably should be asking, "How do I bring in profitable business?" You mentioned that you are competitive. when I see or hear that, I usually figure that  means that your prices are low. That may be one of the things you want to look at. You can bring in all the business you want, but unless it is profitable, you are always going to struggle.

Before any marketing is going to help you, be sure of these:
                        • you are promoting the benefits that your customers get from doing business with you (be sure they are benefits, most of us try to sell what we are as opposed to what they get)
                        • know exactly how you got your most profitable customers
                        • what kind of return you get from your marketing efforts ... not how many customers the get you, but how much profit they bring in (do not promote your business in a particular way just because your competition does it that way -- who knows they could be losing money that way)
                        • why should a prospect use you as opposed to your competition ... if you don't have an answer to this that is meaningful to your customers and prospects, ask your current profitable customers (the answer should not be price, if it is, you already know what that can do and you have to base your meaningful difference on something else)

Gook luck and let me know if you need help with these suggestions.

Peter George, the Marketing Coach
                          marktingcoach Newbie
                          One other question you need to answer ...

Who is your profitable target audience?

And the answer is not everyone with a lawn. By determining who your profitable target audience is, you can better determine how and where to market your business and what is important to them.

Once a gain, good luck.

Peter George, the Marketing Coach
                            LUCKIEST Guide
                            With all these great suggestions going back and forth, and new ideas flowing,
                            WHERE ARE YOU AND YOUR BUSINESS LOCATED??
                            There has been several stories of water shortages in different parts of the country like Atlanta and Miami.
                            LUCKIEST
                                melandscape Newbie
                                Wow, I had no idea how much information you guys could provide, I
                                should have joined a long time ago, I want to thank all of you that
                                have given me advise, So THANK YOU
                                to answer some of the questions. I am in Aurora, Co where there is a
                                large amount of low balling Landscapers that don't know what there
                                doing but because there prices are so low they get much of the work,
                                I'm not interested in the low budget jobs anyways but they make good
                                fillers when it gets slow with the bigger, more elabrit jobs, My profitable target audience is people that show 150k per year income. I need the jobs that are around 20k-40k they take about two - three weeks and I profit about 30% if I could get jobs like this lined up all summer I would be in great shape come winter. In our situation we are relying heavily on the fact that its going to snow, since its been in the 60's and 70's lately I don't think that its coming anytime soon
                                Thank again guys
                                    Adventurer
                                    Could you borrow a page from the pool stores in my area, that sell christmas trees in the off season?

(not literally for you, but hear me out...)

Spring and summer - grass, flowers, landscaping needs.

Fall - shrubs and trees still need tending, leaves need raking, can a lawn be prepped for winter (I have no idea, asking the innocent questions)

Winter - snow removal? shrubs and trees still grow, no?

What I am saying is, can you set up a year-round service, even if it's not full force/top revenue that the growth months provide. This way, you have a steady base income, instead of none, in the cold months, and help folks stay on top of their lawn/outdoor chores all year round, building trust and presence of mind. Plus the trucks are out there, your rolling billboards, all year round, so when spring comes, the neighbors might give you a call as well.

Mike
                                        melandscape Newbie
                                        Well right now we have about 10" of snow on the ground so trimming trees will have to wait, But I do have a client base for winter tree trimming. I was an arborist for a few years and did nothing but trees, after the 1st I am going to start my marketing for yard maintenance. Up until now I have always had winter work but this year we had a dry spell. I will be advertising full yard maintenance seperate from Landscape installation so the customer knows we do both professionally and not just small jobs the mow guy can do. We have snow now and I do a large amount of snow removal so the money is starting to come in slowly which will get me back to level soon. You all have given me great idea's and I have been using some of them to get new business. I have 2 jobs ready as soon as the snow melts or the temps get above freezing they are ready and have estimates out. so its looking up
                                        please keep the ideas coming
                                        knittingqueen Newbie
                                        hey,

Here is another idea that might help you out with a landscaping company.

http://www.myprimebuyersguide.com/ca/oakland-landscaping.html

Good luck with your landscpaing company!
                                      RMM618 Newbie
                                      Have you tried free online sites for advertising? Craigslist is a good start and there may be others in your local area.
                                        BLINDS&SHADES Newbie
                                        i have been in business for 20 yrs , concentrate on the new developments do complete installations not just cutting
                                          inspector54 Newbie
                                          I have been a Notary for about 6 years now.Every once in awhile I would get a call even though I was registered all over the place.
                                          I signed up through a friend at Merchants Circle and the fist week I got 4 calls .If you would like me to send you an invite email me at northportnotaryservices@gmail.com
                                          and I will send you an invite.
                                          Also do you have a website?
                                          Check mine out http://northportnotaryservices.weebly.com
                                          it was free.
                                          I love free and so is the advertisement and networking on Merchant Circle.
                                          Think about it and let me know.
                                          There are a lot of free forums you can join ,Yahoo has groups whatever your buiness is just type it into the group and they all will come up for you to join.
                                          Have a wonderful Christmas and a Happy new year.
                                          Bridget Bergeron
                                            inspector54 Newbie
                                            You can also look up ion the State procurement website and see when the bids come out also your local city and town bids updates.
                                              JDJDJD Newbie
                                              I'm new to this site. Are you still looking for information on this post?

JDJDJD
                                                JeannieRios Wayfarer
                                                Hi There,

Well how you adverise is key. You need to have the right pitch. I offer a new kind of mailing list that reaches out to new movers in your area that are in need off all new services. It is a greater chance to get these new customers because they are looking for new services as opposed to trying to take a customer who already has services. Create a really cool Newletter. And Mail it out. contact me at : makesense99@gmail.com I can help you with the mail list. It is a really good deal. I am also willing to help you with your advert if needed. check out my profile.
                                                  Tracy88 Newbie
                                                  You could try Premiere Ads Online. ( www.premiereadsonline.com ) They will advertise your business for you and make excellent webflyers to put on different ad websites. Their rates are really reasonable,too. A lot cheaper than using the newspaper! I know of some who have tried it and they're pretty happy with it.

Tracy88
                                                    Success4life Wayfarer
                                                    YES!! We support small business owners at www.americasbestcompanies.com . We understand that it is very expensive to stay competitive in your industry during this recession. Our #1 priority is to help Small Business Owners grow and stay in business so it it would defeat the purpose if we charged you more than you can afford!! So for only about a dollar a day, we help you build a custom business website, provide you with ABC Marketing Materials, extensive online advertising, as well as provide you with small business resources.

Promo Code for discounts: MES100