Post a new topic
    14 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2009 6:39 PM by freewebdesign

need direction on getting a business started

steponfaith Wayfarer
      I am looking into starting a new business adventure. I have not ever had my own business but I think it is time-but I don't know where to start, how to start etc. I have been in the medical field for 10 yrs in a non-clinical role and I have seen a great need for employee training. How do I start? Do I start with a business plan? Do I start with seeing if there is a need?
        • Re: need direction on getting a business started
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Direction on getting a business started, Welcome

Start by going to Members page and sharing some info.

YES a Business Plan would be a great way getting a business started. The plan should also prove that there is a need.

Do you know about SCORE?? SCORE is FREE.

LUCKIEST
            steponfaith Wayfarer
            I have started doing the research on the need. Right now the clientele I am trying to target is the healthcare field. I have not found (as of yet) anything pertaining to what I want to specialize in. I am very green going into this so what you are saying is I basically need a mission statement. What the company stands for and what service I am providing
              Tracker

Steponfaith:

Research is always needed before developing a business plan. You may need to do additional research as you hone your business plan, but if you don't see a clear opportunity to generate income through your research - as mentioned - creating a plan or mission statement will be a waste of time.

There is the possibility that you plan to create something that doesn't have an established market as of yet. However, this is high risk, takes longer and costs more to enter the market than an established market with current competition.

You mention that you haven't found anything "pertaining" to what you are planning, does this mean there isn't anything exactly like it or even remotely like it? There is big money in health care. Chances are that if there is opportunity to make money servicing the market, the larger corporations would have swooped in on it. Usually the smaller sized businesses have an opportunity by creating a niche in an established segment that the larger companies can't service.

I am willing to take a look at what you are proposing and let you know how best to proceed.

Hope this helps.

Doug Dolan

The Solopreneur's Guide

http://thesologuide.com

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                  steponfaith Wayfarer
                  Yes, that information is very helpful. When I said I did the research and there is nothing "pertaining" to what I want to target there is but it involves upper management and I want to provide a service to people below management which will help the company with turn over and etc. I did visit my local SCORE office and the person I spoke with didn't really offer any guidance or help. I have received different information from a few business owners and they all did things differently when they started their business. I'm not sure if I should market the idea first to different clients to see if there is any interest in the idea or what. I am not trying to get rich quick I know this will take time and since I am young I am willing to take a risk. My goal is to start locally with the healthcare field and then if this proves successful I would like to expand outside of that.

A sample of what I am proposing training to medical offices that do not have the personnel or the time to have the office run effective and efficiently.
                      Tracker

Steponfaith:

Not to throw SCORE under the bus, but I frequently hear the same results from a number of hopeful entrepreneurs as what you experienced. Sorry to hear that.

Focusing on your efforts, I think that you should first figure out who are the influencers and decision makers for buying your service. They may not be the people that go through the program; they may be the managers or executives above the people that you plan on training. However, you need to know who will influence the buying decisions and those that actual sign off on your services.

Once you understand who these people are, you can take a look at what medium you should use to get their attention (e.g. medical forums, seminars, direct mail pieces, email blasts, etc.). Once you have their attention you can explain the benefits (e.g. time savings, money savings, reduced turn-over, etc.) that they will experience from hiring you and ask them questions about what they would like to see.

Having feedback from your target market regarding their interests and the services that they are willing to pay for before you launch your company will help you create services towards a known interest. I have worked with more than one start up that created a product or service based upon what they thought would be a great idea, but then end up scratching their heads wondering why no one is buying. Having the input from the market first is always a great way to go.

Let me know if you have more questions.

Hope this helps.

Doug Dolan

The Solopreneur's Guide

1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    corporate101 Wayfarer
                    No problem wea re here to help at CWM its really not that hard once you get the hang of it.
                    we can give you the Coaching you need to become more independant at your plans for you business, and as well we can help you structure your business, by coaching you for just a 2 days per week really cheap!!!!!!!

visit www.corpwealthmanagement.com
                      mightyventure Wayfarer
                      Ready to start your business? Entrepreneurs and Intrapreneurs count on former venture capitalist and entrepreneur Christine Comaford. Christine has built and sold 5 of her own businesses and invested in over 200. She has consulted to hundreds of small businesses, 700 of the Fortune 1000, and the Clinton and Bush administrations. Get consultation from us: http://www.mightyventures.com/
                        Tracker

steponfaith:

When contacting businesses, you may end up using a mix of methods. For example, you may first hit up businesses with email, phone or direct mail, but then follow up with face to face. Face to face is my preferred method as you can read a potential customer's reaction to your conversation and establish better rapport.

I wouldn't use a business name until you lock it in (domain name, and registered with your state if required) only because by the time you are ready to launch your business, the name may be taken or you realize that you want to name it something else. You can always promote yourself as a personal consultant and simply use your own name.

Hope this helps.

Doug Dolan

The Solopreneur's Guide

YesYouCan Scout
                            I would lock in both dba or LLC name - as well as your domain name if you plan to have a website - before you make any commitment to spending any great amount of money. I think you may want to do two things at once; develop a Business Plan, and look into the legal requirements such as business structure, state and local licenses or business permits, etc. Some resources that may help you are - www.sunbiz.org (official site of most florida business registration and information) www.myflorida.com (if you will need to register to pay sales tax or need that info.) And, I would go back to SCORE for the business plan and if the local chapter does not offer help, I would go to national online www.score.org where they have on line templates, seminars and other information on Business Plans and starting a business. Good luck.
                            freewebdesign Wayfarer
                            The advice so far is dead on...you need a business plan. You're in the phase of "you don't know what you don't know" and putting a pen to paper with a biz plan will not only help you develop a gameplan but make you asks yourself some tough questions about how you're going to pull it off too.

Good luck,
                            Randy
                            Free Web Design Evangelist
                            http://www.sitemakerdesigns.com
                              Wgonzalez Newbie
                              Have you looked into franchising in the industry you are interested in ? Do some research franchises all ready have a proven model of business.