Post a new topic
    4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 22, 2009 1:32 PM by fineartkk

how to know if advertising works

fineartkk Newbie
      I advertise my business in the local newspaper, on local TV, local newsletters, direct mail and I am not sure why business is not improving.
      How does one know what works? I have tried everything for 21 years and I can't seem to make my business grow.
        • Re: how to know if advertising works
          LUCKIEST Guide
          How to know if advertising works?? Welcome

If you have been in business for 21 years, some thing is working.

I guess there is no quick answer. WE need to know more. Where you are located, What kind of business
          and what do you mean by GROW??.

Who is in charge of your advertising?? How do you know if T V is better than newspapers??

Have you developed a marketing plan??

LUCKIEST
              fineartkk Newbie
              I am a fine art gallery . I sell 19th~21st C. American and European Fine art. I have a customer base of 2,000+. each year my business has done well and since january of this year nothing is selling and no one is even coming in to my business. Woudl you continue to advertise or pull all advertising until the economy changes. My ads are images of paintings with my website address. My website is galleryatfourindia.com

Thank you for your comments, I really don't know what to do to help things improve.
              phanio Pioneer
              First, you marketing should be targeted to your market. Example, if you sell women clothes - you should not be advertising in men's magazines. Your marketing efforts should be target to your potential customers. Thus, do your customers read the paper or watch TV during the time your ad is on?

Your marketing works when more customers frequent your business. This does not mean sales as marketing is only designed to get people interest and educated about your business and your offerings. Your sales plan (sales staff, ecommerce site, check out, methods of payments, etc) are what closes the deal after your marketing efforts gets customers to your business.

I would suggest, if you can, ask current customers where or how they heard about you. This will tell you what marketing channel is working and which ones are not.

Laslty, there are many free services sponsered by the SBA that can help you research your market and develop and true marketing plan for your business. The reason I mention this is that it seems that what you have been doing is not working. Try finding a small business development center (SBDC) in your area or SCORE (score.org).

Business Money Today
              www.BusinessMoneyToday.com
                  Iwrite Pioneer
                  Wow. I don't know what else you need to hear? Phanio's advice is dead on.

If no form of advertising seems to be working, it may not be the advertising but the marketing message. Look at your marketing plan and it might be time to get some help with it.

What is the message of your advertising and who is it aimed at? Maybe we can give you some suggestions.

Please remember, TV, radio, print, direct mail, interactive, websites, emails, and all the other media are tools. Never select a tool to use before having a plan. You may be using a hammer where it calls for a screwdriver.

Good luck.

derek