Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 13, 2009 1:50 PM by chitwan

Taking a chance

chitwan Newbie
      I am in the process of establishing a small business here in Nepal, this is my first business venture.
      Would love to hear from you if you have any advice for setting up a business as a foreigner in a " Third World Country "
      Nepal is known as a tourist destination for many reasons including people who love the mountains and what they offer to those wanting to partake of a spiritual pilgrimage.
      Cheers.
        • Re: Taking a chance
          Tracker

Chitwan:

From your profile it appears that you are creating a hospitality / leisure business. If this is the main industry for Nepal, what is your USP (unique selling proposition) - i.e. what do you offer that is unique from the other travel / hospitality companies (whether located in Nepal or not)?

When the market is very good, people can jump into business to grab some money because the demand is great. However, this is rarely a sustainable business. As the market turns, these companies fail. If you create something unique, you will have a better chance for survival.

Do market research and see what opportunities exist that match well with your skills and passions.

If you need help defining your USP, let me know.

Hope this helps.

Dug Dolan

The Solopreneur's Guide

http://thesologuide.com
              chitwan Newbie
              Thank you for your kind reply.
              Basically I am starting up in business here in a third world country where corruption is unfortunately part of life.
              By profession I am a Quality Manager having worked in the Health sector ( in the West ) for 26 years, and after one year working here in Nepal as a volunteer I soon realized that imparting my knowledge in this field was rather ambitious.
              Therefore I have decided to run a small hotel where I hope that by introducing Quality Management principals including some basic training to staff for example focusing on areas not widely addressed here in Nepal such as Health and safety & hygeine and customer service, this business will be in an excellent position to offer placements for students training in the Hospitality industry.
              LUCKIEST Guide
              Taking a chance, Welcome

Go to Members page and share some info.

Have you developed a business plan that I can read??

LUCKIEST