Post a new topic
    7 Replies Latest reply on May 22, 2008 1:38 PM by designer

45 days until Christmas - - and I see Santa everywhere!

MetroGal Adventurer

What are your thoughts on the extra early Christmas promotions, sales, etc. this year? It's simply too early for me as a consumer! I already see Christmas trees popping! As a business owner, have you started promoting season cheer already or have plans to do so earlier this year because of the economy? Thanks for sharing.
        • Re: 45 days until Christmas - - and I see Santa everywhere!
          NatOnline Tracker
          My thoughts as a e-commerce owner about extra early Christmas promotions are perhaps positive. I think that gives customers more time to shop and benefit from the sales.

As a business owner I will start my holiday sale next week.
            LUCKIEST Guide
            There are TWO different schools of thought on holiday sales. And YES you are right.
            It's simply too early if you are a consumer. YET customers ARE buying NOW.
            If you are in business it is NEVER to early for any holiday, especially Xmas.
            If businesses do not plan for early sales, they will loss out.
            Humbug, LUCKIEST
              Lighthouse24 Ranger
              As a consumer, I agree with you. Making the Christmas season two months long seems to take away a little of the "magic" -- not the meaning, but some of the childlike excitement and anticipation gets "diluted."

For my retail clients, an increasingly larger percentage of sales over the past ten years has been in the 4th quarter. It's a "chicken and egg" thing as to whether the holiday promotions start earlier each year because it's a growing percentage of their sales, or if it's a growing percentage of their sales because they holiday promotions start earlier.

In either case, the trend has not been lost on suppliers, wholesalers, distributors -- they have adjusted to fit that pattern, and those adjustments have heavily influenced retail buyers, and therefore driven earlier retail promotions. Each category of consumer product used to have its own cycle (i.e., the time of year that the "latest and greatest" would hit the stores). Now, there is something new in every department every week. Even so, when manufacturers think they have something REALLY hot, they hold it for a pre-holiday blitz. Then they entice store buyers and merchandisers to load up early -- and a buyer or merchandiser will, because he/she wants to be the only store with PS3's (or whatever) on the Friday after Thanksgiving. Because of that, store managers receive a lot more stock a lot sooner than they used to.

Most of those items turn out to be not-so-hot, so managers end up with more to sell (and to unload after the holidays, too). I think consumers are becoming observant and savvy about that, and are often watching and waiting for post-holiday sales on items that are not moving well before Christmas.
                  smallbizcoach Newbie
                  As a consumer, I think it is ridiculous.

As a small business coach, I partially agree with it.

But let me put a spin on it.

10 years ago there was very little e-commerce going on. The majority of all people went to the store, picked out what they want, and took it home to wrap it up and put it under the tree.

Today it is different. For the next month or so every single type of mail service will be absolutely swamped with people sending stuff to their friends, family, etc. E-commerce needs that extra time to allow the mail service to work with their company in order to get the product to the customer in time and have the customer send it out with all the rest of the gifts.

Aaron
                  1 of 1 people found this helpful
                      DomainDiva Ranger
                      Ok I will buy the Ebiz rationale. But not the christmas music already on KVIL in Dallas!!!! ;)

Have a Domain Diva christmas shopping experience:

7 gift cards and cutise holders for 7 grandchildren. Fed Ex to youngest daughter to pass out

2 doggie stockings for shih tzus

internet shopping for her presents..then send reminders to hubby...he pays.. she gets stuff

internet shoppoing for hubby emails to him to pick what he wants..I pay he gets stuff.

if anyone else shows up its a gift card....

then some christmas cheer..... :)
                      1 of 1 people found this helpful
                    LUCKIEST Guide
                    Unbelievable how many different thoughts on 45 days. I know we are down to only about 40 days now.
                    What about Chanukah, which starts on the eve of DEC 4 That is only 20 days from now.
                    Candles and presents for all for 8 night and this year is over before Christmas.
                    Again LUCKIEST
                      designer Tracker
                      I always am 1 season ahead of the average American. It is truly spring, but my mind is thinking and working summer. In summer, I will focus on fall and on and on it goes.