Post a new topic
    11 Replies Latest reply on Aug 6, 2009 11:31 PM by RealChobee

Critique my new site

RealChobee Newbie
      I created a community site about one month ago and i have only 8 members. Maybe I'm not patient. I feel there should be more. I'm new to the website ownership thing and I can't see what professional web developers see. So with that, to the person who reads this, please, critique my new site. Hold no punches. I'm all about getting better. I do have plans to continue upgrading. Any advice is all appreciated. Thank You. www.shootbreeze.com
        • Re: Critique my new site
          colin104 Wayfarer
          Personally, I think you should fire your graphic designer.
          Now serious, really, redo the design, get rid of this background picture, etc.
            vnavguys Tracker
            A couple of things off the cuff to help you get started. First of all, you have about 8 seconds when someone lands on your site to tell them what this site is about. Your site has no clear message that grabs the viewer and says, I love this place and I should look around. Secondly, you have no inbound links to the site which means you basically do not exist nor will you ever exist in the search engines. This also tells me that you probably do not have any type of plan set in place to aggressively market your existence. Social sites are easy, but they do have to be interactive. If your on a budget, you can talk it up on other social sites and people will come and check it out. Twitter is good for that. I would strongly recommend hiring someone (and no, I am not marketing myself or anyone) to make an SEO plan for you. Put the site togethter is the easy part, getting it active is the challenge. I am guessing you do not know how, so that is why I recommend you hire someone. Lastly, yeah, whats with the graphics? The header does not match the background, and if I were doing a social thing, I would choose something else.

I hope that helps
            Ken
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
              DomainDiva Ranger
              The header is water and you are shooting the 'breeze'. The visual picture does not match the visual written copy. There is no continuity with your site. It looks like someone cut and pasted a really bad collage. Consign your designer to an off-world prison planet.
              1 of 1 people found this helpful
                puzzleman Tracker
                What do the Grand Canyon and and ocean do with Shooting the Breeze?

I have no way of knowing what this site is about without digging deeper.

Jim
                  creozen Newbie
                  Instead of shooting the breeze someone needs to shoot the designer. The overall concept should be more inviting with consistentency in color and attention grabbing images. The following elements need attention:

Main Page Content
                  Main Page Layout
                  Header Graphic Change
                  Main Body Color Scheme
                  And a whole lot more....

Sorry to be so frank but to think that a designer possibly charged you for this work really gets under my skin, I highly recommend the above changes to drastically increase the visual appeal of your site.

Aaron
                  http://www.creozen.com
                    drivetraffic Adventurer
                    Ok. This site is really bad. It has a very amateurish feel. I can't really see what the focus of the site is. What type of discussions go on here? Is this an entertainment news site? Who are you trying to target?

Focus on who your target market is. Decide on what you want to offer them and then get the site redone. Immediate improvement that can be done is getting rid of the background.

CJP
                    J.P. Marketing, LLC
                    http://www.drivetrafficforless.com
                      Hymesdesign Adventurer
                      Sorry to got there but it feels like somebodies Grand Pa's myspace, it doesn't grab anybodies attention and in fact it instantly soured me on joining just because of the overall feel being so .... well lame.
                        dollsbags Adventurer
                        There are sufficient comments about the site aesthetics already on this post so I won't comment much there. I agree though, nix the background image. Use a solid color or no background at all. Use nothing that will detract from the "main message" of your site to visitors. The message I get from your site is: "A cool place to hang out and express yourself." If you are decent with Gimp, create a background that does not detract from your site. Overall the site loads fast and is not a bad base to build on.

What does your site offer that makes it different from the others? Focus on that.

Looking at the code of your site:

Keywords: shoot,breeze,blog,site profile,invite friends,upload,photos,a place where you can be yourself,michael taylor,

I see very little in the way of keywords that would put you on anything higher than the one-millionth page of any of the major search engines. Try searching for "shoot" on google sometime, or "breeze" and you'll see what I mean. Who will search for "a place where you can be yourself"? The only reasonable search term that I see in your meta keywords list
                        that might be somewhat effective is "michael taylor" and that will
                        return a lot of URLs. Use better, more descriptive keywords. You can
                        have the best site in the world but without proper meta tags and
                        sufficient off-site marketing - you will get no where fast.

How about a slogan? "Shoot the Breeze with Ease!" or something. Include the slogan your meta description or title tag.

In the banner of the site you have hidden text "A place where you can be yourself."
                        Search engines will penalize you for text that matches background colors or hidden text. Get rid of it.

Your page rank is zero and your alexa rank is off the charts (lower alexa rank is better than a larger number). Work to establish back links, etc.

Hope some of these things give you some ideas. Think outside the box a little.

Good luck!

Rich Petrelli, VP
                        DollsBags.com
                            RealChobee Newbie
                            I'm an amateur at this and I know nothing of what I'm doing. Yet, I learn as I go and I am getting better. I really appreciate your honesty and advice and will use it. I have such a small budget so I'm doing proposals trying to get going. Thanks a lot for the advice.
                              RealChobee Newbie
                              I'm an amateur at this and I know nothing of what I'm doing. Yet, I learn as I go and I am getting better. I really appreciate your honesty and advice and will use it. I have such a small budget so I'm doing proposals trying to get going. Thanks a lot for the advice.