Post a new topic
    19 Replies Latest reply on Jul 28, 2009 3:48 PM by creativeiads

How do I market my business?

Gerlaine Newbie
      I am starting my own Adult Companion/Sitter for the elderly. I would like to go to the client homes,I have my business cards, flyers, car magnet and Webster developed. I would like to built my business and make it a career. I recently graduated from college for my Bachelor of Business Management and will be furthering my education for my Master Degree. I like to know how I can market my business, I gave out 70 business cards last week and I have not received any phone calls.
        • Re: How do I market my business?
          bentenn Adventurer
          First, congratulations on wanting to be an entrepreneur. And with your education and eagerness, you will likely succeed.

Second, handing out business cards is not a sales or marketing program. May I suggest you step back for a moment and clearly define who will be your target customer AND separately who will be the target consumer of your personal services. If you will be offering 'sitting' services for those adults not able to care for themselves, those same adults will be consuming your services but they will not be the ones to actually purchase your services as that will likely be done by another family member or other caregiver. I therefore suggest you first find people or institutions that know of those adults in need of adult sitting that can refer your services to the caregivers of those adults. Examples might be medical doctors serving the elderly, hospital social services, pharmacies, blogs or groups that provide assistance to the caregivers for their elderly in need, etc.

Once you have found those potential referral entities recognize you are asking them to hire you for a very personal service - having you personally sit with their loved one alone in their home. You will likely do well by selling yourself as an honest, trustworthy, caring and educated person eager to assist elderly in need - possibly one referral person at a time. And since you will be seeking only a few clients (it takes one hour of time to sit with someone for an hour so you could not serve 70 clients in a week or even a month!), take your time selling yourself. And be sure you are bonded and have liability insurance.

Good luck. Ben
              Gerlaine Newbie
              I try different places such as pharmacies, and senior citizens organization and I still have not got any calls. Do you still have any other subjects.
                  KARLAAMAYA Adventurer

Hi Bentenn,

Social networking is a great start. Facebook, twitter, etc. Tell your friends to become fans of your page and the news about your business will travel faster than you can imagine. Also, try sites related to your business, I'm sure some of them have information about some one needing your services. Organizations that deal with the elderly, church and so on. When you're in business you got to be creative and will realize that clients are waiting where you least expect it. Good Luck!

Iwrite Pioneer
                  This is great advice! I think you can also leverage technology to help by offering real time video in the home that the family can watch over the web to address the safety and security concerns. You can tell me you are trustworthy but if I can see it for myself that would be great.

bentenn is so right - carefully craft a message that shows your expertise. You business is going to be about developing a huge amount of trust with family members and caregivers, and nothing does that better than establishing a conversation through your marketing.

Good luck.
                  Gerlaine Newbie
                  Are there any free websites that will place your business ads for you.
                    Blabber Wayfarer
                    Check with probate lawyers. Sounds strange but they have clients that need assistance/care while they are waiting on a guardianship order. This is where the court orders them to a old age home or hospital or some type of guardianship care. Lawyers would like to have a quality person take care of someone like that.

Leave flyers at pharmicies, grocery stores. Look into senior expos/fairs, advertise in a local senior lifestyle magazine.

Good luck
                    • How do I market my business?
                      JMerrittCo Newbie
                      Sounds like your headed in the right direction. Have you considered instead of a vehicle magnet, using a full vehicle wrap? I am an employee of Joseph Merritt @ Co out of Hartford and we do all sorts of unique printing on anything you could imagine. Because we can do this we catch the customers eye. Sometimes a magnet will get overlooked. We also do other signs, banners, billboard, etc. If you interested email me at or call me 860.952.1529. We do everything in house and can give you a great price. We do marketing stuff for lego, diesel, jagermeister, pepsi co. etc.. Look forward to hearing how we can help your company boom!!!
                        MrMentor Newbie

Today I'm going to be
                        talking with you about some very crucial and fundamental principles to creating
                        wealth within your life time, and I'm also going to focus specifically on using
                        TECHNOLOGIES like the Internet to do it.

Why is that? Simple...more wealth is being created right
                        now within technology then ANY other sector of the world hands down. Just think about which companies have been on
                        the front page of newspapers or magazines for how much success they have had

Google, YouTube, MySpace,
                        Facebook, and HUNDREDS of other sites people don't even hear about our
                        literally creating BILLIONS of dollars quicker than just about any companies
                        that have ever existed before.

YouTube broke RECORDS when
                        it went from $0 to $1.65 Billion with a capital B in only a year and a
                        half. Mark Zuckerberg just became the
                        world's youngest BILLIONAIRE at age 23.
                        And more stories like these are being created on a daily basis.

But what most people don't
                        know, is that there are A LOT more people creating wealth within technology
                        then just the poster boys. Last year
                        alone, there were literally over 1,000 brand new millionaires that were created
                        on the internet. In fact, there are
                        literally an endless amount of ways that people can start creating more wealth
                        for themselves working Completely from home and needing nothing more then this
                        computer you see in front of you.

In this report, I'm going
                        to begin to open your eyes to those possibilities, and share with you what I
                        know best about how to start doing it.

You see, wealth creation is
                        a multi part job in my perspective. I
                        KNOW that no matter what medium you are creating wealth in...your MINDSET is
                        always going to play a crucial role.
                        That's why I see so many successful people who focus on developing
                        THEMSELVES before they focus solely on creating wealth.

And the reason why is,
                        when you focus on Learning and Growing as a human being and entrepreneur
               becomes so much easier to take the action steps you need to create
                        the wealth later on.

But if you are struggling
                        with lots of limiting beliefs, or negative emotions, or destructive attitudes
                        and thoughts...then how are you going to BELIEVE in yourself enough to go out
                        and pursue your visions in life.

It takes a STRONG person
                        to go after their goals and dreams...and that's why I advise all my new
                        partners and clients to first focus on becoming STRONG. Then we can focus on the specific action
                        steps you need to take to create wealth.

So what are some of those
                        action steps? Well, it's actually
                        simpler than most people think to start earning a full time income online. There are only 2 things success online comes
                        down to:

1. Traffic

2. Conversion.

When you learn how to
                        generate traffic to any website you can literally manifest hungry
                        buyers for whatever you're offering at will.

When you learn how to
                        'Convert' those prospects into customers, business partners, or whatever else
                        you can literally create money at will.

That 2 part combo right
                        there is how EVERY SINGLE website online makes its money. Traffic and

The neat thing is, there
                        are literally MILLIONS of things you can promote, or businesses you can build,
                        where those two key fundamentals come into play. Take me for example, I am building a business
                        right now that pays me VERY lucrative commissions on all the sales I make, and
                        business partners I bring in.
                        It is so beautiful
                        about running your own business and being an entrepreneur. You see, when you decide you
                        want MORE for yourself by going after your goals in life...there are specific
                        action steps you can take everyday to make that happen.

When you have a coach, a
                        mentor, and a trainer to guide you along each step of the way... it can save
                        you THOUSANDS of dollars in time, energy, and mistakes that you would make
                        trying to figure this all out on your own.
                        That's why it's so important to have someone who can walk you through
                        the whole process, and really be your guide to success.

If this is something that
                        interests you, then you simply MUST check out what I have to
                        offer you below:

When you learn the
                        advertising and marketing skills that WE can teach you about growing a
                        successful can make an ENORMOUS amount of money with that one

I am here to help train
                        you, coach you, and guide you to success my friend. So use me as a resource if you need me. And make sure to be on the lookout for more
                        knowledge from me about how to be successful.

I hope you enjoyed the
                        information today!

Yours In True Success,

P.S. It's simply amazing what some of my partners
                        and I have been able to create through this business. You have to check this out again below to see
                        what this can do for you...

Analysight Newbie

Ben's given you the best advice so far. Since the people you market to will not be the elderly who need the companion sitter, it would be a very good idea to find out how many "Baby Boomer" households are in your geographic location. Many Baby Boomers are considered a "sandwich" generation, because they are caring for both their own children (the bottom slice) and their parents (the upper slice). Be sure to stress the benefits of your service, not just companionship to their parents, but a little bit of freedom to the buyer - so that they could have a little time to themselves.

Analysights can provide you with a demographic analysis and market size potential for your geographic area for a reasonable investment and a fast turnaround. If you're interested, please give me a call at (847) 895-2565.

Good luck,
                            koz4change Adventurer
                            You need a detailed business/marketing plan and to be honest, for your type of business a website will not get far at first. You need to get face-time with potential clients and build an actual relationship. Don't just say, "Here's my card, call me sometime." Say, "This is what I do. This how it will help you. Can I offer you my services." -- not quite so upfront, but you get the point. People won't use your service unless you ask. And, if you offer something they want or need they will most likely use your service. It all starts with networking and then getting the people who you network with to network for you. Good Luck!
                              halcyonpark.3 Newbie
                              one way might looking at referral sources such as other healthcare professionals the elderly use. Let doctors, nurses and pharmacists know of your service. In so doing you're making yourself part of the larger healthcare community
                                hconnections Adventurer

Just a few words of advice. Seeking ideas from this community definitely helps but you should also read as much as you can about how to market your business. I'm currently reading John Jantsch's "Duct Tape Marketing" which is packed with so much valuable information and ideas that I don't think I would have found anyplace else. Its really helping me to identifiy areas that I need to focus on and its giving me tools and strategies that I can implement even from now. For starters, you want to go where your potential customers are and build relationships with various organizations who share those same target customers. You may also want to begin doing seminars targeted to the adults who have elderly parents and educate them on why a service like yours is much needed. You need for your audience to understand the importance of adult companions. Find out their needs or problems and show how your services will be their solution. Also try visiting websites like and and which all have a wealth of articles and web tutorials on marketing your business.

Best of luck to you.

Ktasha, your personal tax partner
                                Start an Internet-based business today!
                                I'm mobile (914) 562-8301
                                  nangar Newbie
                                  Hi Gerlaine ...

Two suggestions for you:

First ... social networking sites do work. Since you will probably be dealing with the elderly ... you will probably be contracting with the elderly's children or other care givers. An excellent social networking site for this demographic is It is targeted speifically for the babyboomer generation. Typically, babyboomers will be the children of the people you will be providing services to.

Second ... you may want to consider online advertising for your business. There are a variety of alternatives out there ... just be sure that the one you select will meet your needs. You might want to check out my offering at WWW.NANGARMARKETING.NET. This is a short video that will give you an overview of what we can provide. If you would like to get more information please feel free to get back in touch.

Good luck with your business venture ...

Gary Gawler
                                  The Nangar Marketing Group
                                  (732) 690-1538
                                    exmmedia Wayfarer
                                    Hi we can help you market your business ...we can advertise your business
                                    on our cars for more details check out our website*
                                      mlgreen8753 Newbie
                                      That sounds like a great business concept. Have you considered video marketing on Also, when promoting your site you want to make sure your keywords are targeting the local area you live in. Therefore your title and descriptions should contain keywords for the local areas you service. You should also mention that in your videos as well to make sure your prospects are aware of it. Goodluck!
                                        dMayoDesign Newbie
                                        TRY A GREAT FLIER AND BUSINESS CARDS