Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on Nov 3, 2007 3:50 PM by crimepatrol

Starting a Newspaper

crimepatrol Newbie
      My name is Rich; I'm starting a free bi-weekly newspaper in my area called CAROLINA CRIME PATROL. It will of course focus on crime news, and especially getting readers involved in solving unsolved cases. It will be totally advertiser supported. I scored pretty good, I think, in that I managed to snag the website:
      http://www.crimepatrol.net. But I have a question, although I acknowledge that this field is so specialized that there might not be a lot of advice in this forum. We plan to publish 10,000 copies every other week. It will be one of those freebies you find inside the vestibule areas of supermarkets, or in restaurants, etc. But the biggest headache right now: HOW TO DISTRIBUTE 10,000 copies? I mean if you break it down...that's 100 stores with 100 copies each. And I just don't have the time or ability to carry them myself. And keep in mind...this is a freebie, so cash is limited. Any suggestions?

-Rich
        • Re: Starting a Newspaper
          teacup Wayfarer
          Hello! Welcome to the forums. That's so exciting that you are starting a newspaper. Congratulations. I live in the city and notice that there are a lot of stands dedicated to free weekly circulars. Does your area offer that? Can you think of places that would benefit from having this resource for their customers to read - so that they may consider coming to you for picking up the circulars, or paying you for the delivery cost? Can you consider partnering up with another circular that actually has man power to distribute to local residential and/or commercial areas? Obviously, they got their circular placed at the supermarket, etc. somehow, why not pick up their circular - and make a few calls to find out how they manage their distribution? Given that you guys are not competing for the exact same customer base I'm sure they wouldn't mind offering advice etc. Good luck!
          1 of 1 people found this helpful
            LUCKIEST Guide
            Rich, Congratulations and good luck. It is great that the newspaper is totally advertiser supported.
            Maybe the advertisers can help with the distribution of the papers.
            Are there local free newspapers that delivered to homes in the area like the pennysaver??
            Or think outside the box. The Boy Scouts, Girl Scouts, maybe high school students who do volunteer work??
            Contact local volunteer organizations in your area and see if they can help.
            Good luck, Can I get a copy of the newspaper?? LUCKIEST
            1 of 1 people found this helpful
                crimepatrol Newbie
                It's funny that you mention the idea of getting volunteers involved. I'd thought about the same thing, since the object of the paper is to help police solve unsolved cases. However, it is definitely a FOR PROFIT organization....so am I legally allowed to have volunteers assist in that way?

--Rich