Post a new topic
    9 Replies Latest reply on Jun 22, 2009 12:15 AM by RanksIntl

Frustrated Artist looking for marketing help

gdglassdsn Newbie
      I offer a wide variety of services and products for retail, galleries and individual clients. I am looking to start a line of glass affordable to a greater market, but do not want to endanger the reputation I have gained over the years. Am I too worried? How do I successfully reach a big enough market to make the affordable line worth while?

Not much info out there. I have found some good adice on this site. I hope someone can provide some morsels for an information starving artist.
        • Re: Frustrated Artist looking for marketing help
          Iwrite Pioneer
          No, you are not worrying too much. You understand your brand. Great for you.

What price point are you thinking about? This plays a huge part in what you can and should do. "Affordable" is subjective.

People will pay for quality. It is about communicating the message buried in your post - that quality matters to you no matter what price the piece. Your reputation is important to you, and you are not willing to sacrifice it.

What you do is tell your story and let people know that they are getting quality and artfully designed pieces at an affordable price. There are multiple ways to reach people - your website, online marketing, emails, print, TV, radio and direct mail - the determining factor is your target and your budget. Think about how you can get your pieces in front of people for free. Offer to supply the local morning and news programs with pieces. Look at partnering with some local restaurants to use your pieces. The free aspect requires some legwork, getting out there and knocking on doors. Contact local production companies and offer to supply pieces for advertising and film productions.

Either design another website to sell this line or offer access through your existing website. A lot of people want to go straight for the large retailers but it is better to have them come to you, and existing sales will help with that. Buyers love products that are already selling.

Keep your eyes open for opportunities. Office buildings, malls, medical facilities and colleges might be open to using your pieces as decorations. Look for small retailers that might be able to sell your products. Get in touch with the local buyers for the bigger chain - I think you are more a Target product line than a Walmart, but that's just me.

Hire someone to build you some marketing pieces. Get a professional photographer to shoot both photos and video of your product.  

I hope this rambling helps. Good luck.

derek
            RanksIntl Adventurer
            Hello!

What you do sounds fascinating!

You can absolutely continue catering to your niche group while make your products accessible to everyone else. Look at Vera Wang, for example, she has a high end of haute couture while making ready to wear for those can't afford high fashion prices. I know its a different kind of art but an example none the less.

At this point you need to look into revising(or creating) your business plan because you are reevaluating your business goals. You may find that this will also improve your business with your current clientele. You will also want to create a marketing plan in which you will have new market research and determine if there is a market for your new services and allow you to develop distinct marketing ideas for your lines.

Best of luck!

Renee`
              LUCKIEST Guide
              Artist looking for marketing help, Welcome Steve

You have gotten two great answers from Derek and Renee. I think that I have more questions than answers (but the more you share with us the better we get to know you and your business.

Are you frustrated because of the economic down turn?? How long have you been in business?? Are you also a photographer?? Have you thought about a marketing plan or hiring a marketing person?? YES I know that most business people know more about their business than a marketing person , BUT not always.
              Do you do trade shows??

I am a SCORE Counselor. Do you know about SCORE. SCORE is FREE and SCORE also has a FREE Virtual Learning Center with 26 online courses, including Marketing.

LUCKIEST
                MACoulter Wayfarer
                Hello Frustrated Artist,

Marketing should be the least of your worries! Here is a site I want you to check out, it is free and you will be able to communicate with people just like yourself and get all your questions answered. So, you see, no worries :) !

http://www.directmatches.com/macoulter

Melissa A Coulter
                coulter.melissa@yahoo.com
                    gdglassdsn Newbie
                    You guys are fantastic.

I have been in business for 8yrs and have done well in the communities where I have lived. I am frustrated because of the lack of information out there for artists. Successful marketers I know have not been unable to help, not because the lack of desire, but because "art" seems to defy their models.

I am not afraid of the marketing ideas regarding leg work, they are great places to start and I am a good people person. When approaching these potencial businesses to sell the "affordable" line, do I pitch my higher end work even though I know they cannot sell it? How do I present myself as a well rounded designer when this is a new niche for me?

Hope all have been having a great Fathers Day...Cheers to the Dad's
                        Iwrite Pioneer
                        I think depending on the location, you can present your work as an entire line of artwork or as two separate lines. You pitch what you feel comfortable with once you are there. It is a judgement call on your part.

The only person that knows this is a new niche is you. If you are confident of the quality and value, it will not make a difference in your presentation. Let your pride and zeal for your work show through - if you are proud of the work, let it show. You know your product and the workmanship that went into it. Sell that, just like your bigger pieces.

Good luck and happy Father's Day to all!!
                          RanksIntl Adventurer
                          Hello!

Why don't you try mixing conventional ideas with thoughts of what you are looking to do? Essentially, with a marketing plan you need to create your own model. Ways to do it are to go out and do the legwork, talk to other artists within and outside of your community, try to find forums that are specific to artists and try to get their insight. Once you have done that start to do research on the market that you are trying to research through different types of surveys, personal interviews, etc.

If you don't already have a website, create one and make a special section for your current clients(and others) to leave feedback on the idea that you are looking to create. Do some basic internet marketing as well to drive traffic to your site for current business as well as to obtain further insight.

Compile all that you observe and learn into a journal or something along those lines and then start to filter it into a professional marketing plan. When you have completed your marketing plan then take to people who can get it out to the general public. With this approach you will achieve a couple of things: valuable insight into your market and your possible clientele and grassroots marketing because through asking questions and getting involved you will be planting a seed in their minds about what you have to offer. If you have any questions I'd be happy to help!

Renee`