Post a new topic
    10 Replies Latest reply on Nov 15, 2007 4:16 PM by Arshnet.net

Web Research

Dwaz39 Wayfarer
      Is there any type of web-site that has statistics on what people search for? I imagine there is one, but am not positive. What I am looking for is info on how many times people search certain phrases, i.e...

Chicago Bears - 2,000 times
      The Beatles - 2,000 times

Please let me know if there is something like this or if you need more clarification.

Thanks
        • Re: Web Research
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Dwaz, If you google "web-site statistics" you get many hits, STATISTICS ,TRACKING, COUNTING and more.
          You should get the answers you are looking for.
          Good luck, LUCKIEST
            Lighthouse24 Ranger
            This would be proprietary data for the search engine, and a key to their tuning algorithms -- so it's probably not readily available until its only value is to offer historical perspective. In other words, you might be able to obtain glossary seach statistics for the year 2001 from Google or Ask to see what people were searching for back then, but probably not what they were searching for yesterday.

Search engines DO track minute-by-minute data for the number of times something specific (like the Bears or the Beatles) is being entered as a search critieria -- but they don't dump the transaction logs into a table or database that the general public can access or browse on-line. After all, this is valuable intelligence when you think about it, and they sure aren't going to give it all away. My suggestion would be to contact one of the major search engines with the specific words or phrases you need data for, and see what they say. They often respond favorably to specific queries like that, especially if the purpose of your request is educational or public service in nature (not just purely commerical). Good luck!
              NatOnline Tracker

You can find some data at http://www.wordtracker.com, statistics on keywords used by people from search engines. You can also find some great information if you've got a Google Adwords account.

Good luck
                WEBillions Adventurer
                You can learn a lot about what your customers are searching for by going to searchit.sitesell.com.
                In step 1, put brainstorming. In step 2, put yahoo keyword selector.
                Then, try a simple keyword to see what your customer
                wants to find. Try playing around with options because this website can do a lot!
                  LUCKIEST Guide
                  Dwaz Did you get the answers you wanted to "how many times people search certain phrases"??
                  LUCKIEST
                    blueboxer1 Newbie
                    Here is the best tool for you.

http://www.digitalpoint.com/tools/suggestion/

In addition, if you want to start an website (online business) you have to visit their forums. They have 111,000 members, and over 2,000 members online at any one time.

forums.digitalpoint.com

Good luck!
                      DomainDiva Ranger

alexa.com

searchenginewatch.com

these two sites may be of some help.

Best, DDiva
                          NatOnline Tracker
                          Well Alexa is not very accurate. Their statistics are based on the Alexa toolbar, if your visitors don't have that, your statistics will be way off.

Alexa toobal is very manipulative, and most of the time the links are not updated.

There is a ranking tool alternative, I am using the Netcraft toobar, that give smart information like: risk, anti-fishing, ranking, rank, site origine etc...
                          You can find this tool at: http://toolbar.netcraft.com
                          Arshnet.net Newbie
                          Yes http://www.hitwise.com/ provides that information.