My question: - is it true that I have to
have an outside agency as a Registered Agent? If so, do you know the best way
to find a reputable one? I looked online and found that MANY companies were
less expensive, but I don't know if they are legit. I appreciate any guidance
you can give me.
  • Re: Registered Agent??
    dublincpa Apprentice
    Currently Being Moderated

Standard disclaimer: I am not a lawyer. This is not legal advice. Check with the state and/or your attorney.

In most states, you can be your own registered agent. The registered agents serves for the most part two functions:

1. To receive correspondence from your Sec of State such as the annual forms.
    2. To receive service of process if the entity is sued. That is one of the principal reasons aside from taxes that foreign entities have to register.

There will likely be some initial fees with the state and county to change if you go that route, but you can save money if you want to do a little more leg work.
    thompson Newbie
    in CA it was as simple as filing an update to my Statement of Information form and listing our office location and the name of our Office Manager as the Registered Agent.
    Santa Fe CPA Novice
    Hi there Luckiest,

The very simplest solution to the Registered Agent question for a small business in any jurisdiction is for one of the officers or managing member to fulfill that role.
    As noted above the function of Registered Agent is to be the point of contact to accept service documents from a court or State authority.
    As a CPA, I have served as the Registered Agent for several of my clients, particularly those for whom I have "organized the company and filed their Articles of Incorporation or Organization.

Do it yourself and save the few bucks.

Richard Robinson

Novice
    Complete waste of money. You can do it yourself.
    Horny Toad Newbie

Some of the articles I have read on the topic have stated that you need to be available during regular business hours if you are making yourself the registered agent.  Or maybe that is just what they say to stay in business.  Legalzoom set mine up for 179 a year, but I have seen cheaper ones on the internet as well.

Moderator Berta Master

Have you gotten the answer you were looking for Luckiest?

~Berta

More Like This

• Retrieving data ...

Legend

• Correct Answers - 100 points
  • Helpful Answers - 100 points