Post a new topic
    11 Replies Latest reply on Jan 3, 2008 2:52 PM by generalmicro

How can you compete with companies using pirated software?

NatOnline Tracker
      How can you compete when you need to pay the high price for your tools?

If you need a powerful computer to run multi programs at the same time, that will cost you a lot of money.

I found that software companies are making a big mistake by increasing their prices, because in graphic design there are more and more people using pirated professional software.

How can you compete when you need to pay the high price for your tools? You can't.

In my opinion if they can afford to run a business with many employees, they should be able to afford to pay their software, but they prefer to slash prices
        • Re: How can you compete with companies using pirated software?
          DomainDiva Ranger
          Dealing with people that steal things is what it is. However people that used pirated software will soon find out that key codes will become obsolete. I understand the cost of software, it costs me approximately 1700.00 PER TEAM MEMBER to make sure they have the latest software. We use Visio Pro, Office 2007 (the whole thing) and Adobe Creative Suite (whatever the most expensive one is). Be advised too that pirated software will not perform the same way as authentic software.

Don't start thinking in terms of competing with thieves, you will be redirecting your good energy into bad.
              NatOnline Tracker

"Don't start thinking in terms of competing with thieves, you will be redirecting your good energy into bad"

Unfortunately, customers in graphic field don't know if there are running or not with legal programs. I refused to work on some companies for this reason.

I always paid my software fortunately lol even if the cost is pretty high. If I cannot get the last versions, I am working with the version I've got period.

In the graphic design field you need the Adobe programs like Photoshop, Illustrator, Acrobat and now Indesign. Quark Xpress was also an excellent programs few years ago. When I started to run my small business online I bought Macromedia which is Adobe now like Dreamweaver, Flash, Fireworks and Freehands. All the creative plug-in for effects. Plus all the Microsoft software Office.

Computer and OS powerful enough to handle those.

Well all of this cost money and are wonderful tools to work with.

I had a few customers who never understand why the graphic design is so expensive, well most of the cost come from the tools we need to constantly upgrade. Once the pragrams are upgrated, every 3 years you need to change the computer to run these powerful software. Tha'ts never end lol

Back to the topics, some people try to find some shurtcuts, and this is not a fair way to go.
              LUCKIEST Guide
              That is a great question. to compete you need a BUSINESS and MARKETING PLAN.
              How long have you been in business??
              It is my understanding that you CAN NOT register pirated professional software.
              There are times that software gets updated once it is installed in your computer.
              If one is in business and as you say you can afford to run a business you should be able to afford to pay
              for the software. LUCKIEST
                Lucky7 Newbie

There are a lot of grants and loans for small business owners.

Have you tried contacting the Small Business Administration?

The website address is: http://www.sba.gov

They have a lot of information on the website that is helpful to small business owners.

You can also try your state website.

Your local Chamber of Commerce has a person that assists small business owners. they may be able to give you information on what's available locally in your state or county.

It's a lot of information to research however if you can locate grant money you won't have to pay back, or a low interest loan, that's a plus. Your goal is to have the tools you need to operate your business so you can remain competative in the market place.
                  matt_w Newbie
                  Use open source software. It's free, very powerful, and legal. For graphic design, The Gimp is an excellent choice. I use it for all my graphic work. It may take a bit of learning (what complex software doesn't?), but it's worth the hundreds you'll save on licensing fees. I run my company and personal computers entirely on free software... haven't paid a licensing fee in years.

Matt
                      NatOnline Tracker
                      If you do your own graphic design that's ok, you can use your open source software, but when you need to give the job to a print shop it's different.
                        xenopod Adventurer
                        matt_w:

I absolutely agree that FOSS is a viable option for designers that cannot afford the heavy duty licensing fees of certain software bundles.

However I would also put forward for those who for some reason absolutely need the high price bundles you can often lease instead of buy the software or lease to own the software from a company like CDW. For example Adobe CS3 can be leased from them for ~$50 a month instead of $1600 for a single user license! Obviously if you have credit and can purchase all the licenses you need you can distribute the payments over time and build those costs into your pricing. Like someone else said earlier your actual planning for your business will be a large factor in separating you from competition pirating software.

NatOnline:

When have you encountered working with a print shop that you could not give them a standardized image format? If you have encountered that at all that is all the more reason for standardized document formats not defacto standardization of proprietary formats. Also it is not usually difficult to get a print company you routinely work with to use a specific piece of software if you a reliable customer of their services.

I hope that was helpful!
                            generalmicro Newbie
                            Just some examples of Open Source programs that match up well with commercial programs:

OpenOffice: Opens/Saves in Word, Excel, Powerpoint all the way up to and including Office 2007
                            Inkscape: Adobe Illustrator
                            GIMP (as mentioned above): Adobe Photoshop
                            Scribus: Adobe InDesign

Those should take care of almost all of what'll get thrown at you. And best of all, they're free.

As far as sending something to a print shop, PDF is the most widely accepted file type. I've never come across a printer that couldn't take a PDF file. All of the above programs can export or save as PDF.
                          Buffalo Adventurer
                          You compete with crooks by providing an excellent product and/or service that is superior to anything they can offer. Which is, of course, how you compete with everyone in your chosen field.
                          And you get to go to bed at night with a clean conscience knowing what you have is a result of you doing the right thing.
                            moogrdotcom Wayfarer
                            What is the real problem? Are you fighting against falling prices? Graphics design is HUGE in college and guess what, college kids get those programs for pennies on the dollar so they can learn them. Most freelance graphics artists i've hired have been college kids and i'm sure they're running the academic version. There are ways to find out since images are watermarked with certain programs as well :)

I don't think piracy is an issue as far as competiving on price. If they pirate the software most liketley the rest of the business in in shams and they would have bigger fish to fry soon enough. There are open source alternatives, home brew applications and other web enabled apps that can do much of the basics if not more available these days that "piracy" isn't something you should concern yourselves about unless you publish the software and are worried about protecting IP/revenues or are the business pirating it to begin with wondering how you can explain it when you end up in jail.