Post a new topic
    3 Replies Latest reply on Jun 11, 2009 4:28 PM by phanio

Question about starting a business, recent college grad

mc1985 Newbie
      Hi everyone, this is my first time posting on here. I am a recent college accounting grad. I have always wanted to own my own business, and have worked in restaurants through college, and enjoy going out to eat.
      I know a lot of pizzeria owners and restaurant owners, and was thinking about starting a food/supply distribution business for restaurants. I have been trying hard to find information about the distribution business and haven't been able to find much. Do most distributors produce/manufacture their own products..or do they buy from wholesalers and just deliver a variety of goods? I would like to know costs and get an idea of how much room for profit there is. I have found alot of info on other businesses online, but not specifically for food distrbution/wholesale businesses. Thanks for any help and advice!
        • to be yourself boss
          cntradeking02 Wayfarer
          well, you can to be yourself boss at home,
          import the goods from www.jordantradezone.com
          wholesale replica shoes,clothing,caps,handbags,sunglasses and so on ,
          mix order,dropshipping accepted,
          you can make lots of money .
          • Re: Question about starting a business, recent college grad
            RanksIntl Adventurer

Hello!

Its really great that you are taking the first steps to realizing your goal! Distributors have a variety of options when it comes to manufacturing; what it essentially comes down to is your skill set, what you can invest and what makes you the most comfortable. As far as start up costs there are a variety of licenses and permits that you need to have in the food industry that you don't necessarily need in others that will be a major start up cost as well as the costs that come into starting any business. Then, you need to take into account how you will be manufacturing the food or supplies. You need to research your options so that you will be able to determine the costs accurately. You will also have to factor in outside vendors that you may have to approach for your venture. Your business start up could cost anywhere from $1,000 to $50,000.

You need ask yourself a few questions: what kind of food/ supply do you want to distribute? What level do/ can you start at? What specific industry do you want to approach? Do you have a business plan? Market research?

Your room for profit, however is unquestionable. You are entering a 424.7 billion dollar industry and that is in the US alone. You just need to start your business correctly, take the proper steps and market it to the right people. If you do that right your business will go a long way!

If you can provide me with more info I can help you determine your specific start up costs.

Renee`
            renee.rankine@ranksintl.com
            • Re: Question about starting a business, recent college grad
              phanio Pioneer
              You can start by researching a couple of companies - Ben E. Keith or Sysco. They are doing what you want to do. You can also try to get a job at a similar company to gain experience and get an inside perspective. Then, you should develop a business plan. There are many sample templates out there that you could use as a foundation as well as other services like local SBDCs - no cost for these.

As an accountant - you should know that profits are what you amke them - how you manage costs efficiently while providing your services.

Business Money Today