Post a new topic
    19 Replies Latest reply on Jan 18, 2008 11:18 AM by CEO Space

Graphic Designing Software

BDS INC Adventurer

I am looking to develop some cost effective flyers to provide local real estate agents and property management firms a listing of my open properties.

Does anyone have feedback of software packages for someone such as myself with no design experience? I don't need fantastic designs, I have good images of my properties, I just need to put it into a decent package to give out.
        • Re: Graphic Designing Software
          LUCKIEST Guide
          Graphic Designing Software. Have you googled "Graphic Designing Software"
          There is all kinds of info from GRAPHIC DESIGN TUTORIALS, APPLICATIONS AND GRAPHICS.
          Good luck, LUCKIEST
            Buffalo Adventurer
            We do most of our design work in Corel X3. It comes with alot of clip art that you can use. If you go to their site you can download the program for free for a limited period of time. Can't beat that!
              Lighthouse24 Ranger
              To echo Buffalo's post, you can most easily use whatever you already have and know how to use to create a basic document with text and images (Word, WordPerfect, etc.). For these packages, there are templates available that can be downloaded (for free, or for a very small charge) where all the "graphic design" work is already done for you -- all you have to do is plug in your text and images, and you get a fairly professional looking result. Good luck!
                NatOnline Tracker
                It really depends on how many flyers you are planning to print and what kind of quality you want to print.

If you want to print small quantity flyers all the time, then do it in Word, or Publisher. with your own inkjet or laser printer or even a photocopier. You can find plenty of examples cliparts on the Microsoft websites.

Now if you need constantly more than 1000 flyers, then try to buy professional programs, you will be able to do all kind of design: Flyers, Business Cards, Postcards, Booklets, or catalogs. If you design something simple, you can always learn more if you buy similar classroom in the book with CD lessons.

If I was in real estate business, I will do both, low quality for mailing annoncements, and high quality print for hand to hand customers or prospects.
                  DomainDiva Ranger
                  You may also want to put something in powerpoint. Adobe is working on a new free online application called Photoshop Express. Trailers are on you tube and a couple of blogs.
                    MP_of_MP Newbie
                    For the type of project you're describing, my recommendation is Microsoft Publisher. If you have quality photos at your disposal, you can easily integrate them into the existing templates. Without venturing into the world of high-end products such as Adobe's Photoshop and InDesign...which I use as a necessity in my can get good results from Publisher with a smaller price tag and much smaller learning curve. Avoid the programs from companies like Broderbund ("Print Shop Pro Publisher")...they may have an attractive shelf price at your local electronics or office products store, but they also produce results that are very, very amateurish. It's in your best interest, especially in the realm of real estate and property management, to spend some time learning Publisher. Good luck with your projects!
                      Biz Online Adventurer
                      Keep in mind that Publisher files are NOT accepted by most printing shops, although it's an easy program to do quick brochures (I've used Publisher for years, as it's usually a part of MS Office).

I would suggest buying a decent color laser (I bought a Xerox for about $1000), and print them yourself. Your cost per printed page will be much lower than going to a printshop.
                      Good luck,
                        jp1234 Wayfarer
                        Here are some really inexpensive graphics. The whole thing is only $6.97:
                          Bluesuit Adventurer
                          Can someone in the forums please advise how much this software is? How much is photoshop and is it worth it, if you are looking to do something basic (e.g. flyers, basic photo editing, basic graphic development)? Thanks.
                              NatOnline Tracker
                              There are two different versions of Photoshop. One is Photoshop Elements with basic fonctions, and the other is Photoshop CS3 a professional version.

Unfortunately I don't have Photoshop Elements so I cannot tell you what you can and cannot. You can check by yourself prices and versions at

Just a few tips: Photoshop is best to edit photos, effects with plugins, etc... To design graphic like Business cards, flyers, postcards, posters or banners I use Adobe Illustrator, not Photoshop.

Hope to help.
                              graphicdesign Newbie

Just want to offer my services to you- I am a graphic designer in NY and I provide design for small businesses in the local area as well as out-of-state clients. Some of my most recent work includes informational/marketing brochures, marketing materials for a marketing folder (similar to what you are wanting) and email newsletters. Design software is VERY pricey so why not have someone who knows how to design and already has the software do the work for you? I think you will find my rate reasonable and it may be more cost-effective than trying to do it yourself...

Emily Genevish,
                              Genevish Graphics
                                CEO Space Scout
                                I know you asked about software, but you might be interested to know, there is a women here who does this type of thing at such a low price and a good quality that it is easiest just to have her do it
                                and she will let you design it or design it and give you a quote for free and proofs before they go to print and then send them to you.

email me if you just want to check it out

And no, I do not have a vested interest, I do not get any referral fee or anything.