Post a new topic
    13 Replies Latest reply on Jul 3, 2008 10:57 PM by snipperred

Electric Cars

LUCKIEST Guide
      With the price of gas rising and business scrambling to go green, anybody driving an electric car??
      What is your reaction to the car?? Thanks
        • Re: Electric Cars
          NatOnline Tracker
          Living in Nevada, I really don't understand why we are using gas. I read somewhere if the Nevada was covered at 70% by solar panels, it would be enough to produce electricity for the all country.

Anyway, the point I am trying to make: we are wasting energy because of monopoly. We all know the brut reserves are not forever, and I believe there is a market for electric cars for urban traffic to avoid concentred pollution and solar panels for houses, businesses and some industries.
            Sunkist Newbie
            Clean alternative fuel options have been available for years. They are being contained by the big boys (GAS Exploration and Refining Companies). I think when gas goes to $5.00 a gallon (which have been in other countries), America will be on a wake up call. Germany and India uses the SMART CAR buy Mercedes Benz. Why are we all still on gas Guzzlers.

A buddy of mine has a Honda Insight and averages about 50 miles per gallon.

Also car sales reps may tell you that the premium 2000-3000$ paid for a Hybrid vs a normal sedan is not worth it and may take 10 years to recoup your investment. It is not true!
              WEBillions Adventurer
              I don't own an electric car yet, but I plan on getting one when my current car dies. My current boundary for getting one now is the cost. Going to school, starting a business, and having a baby does a number on one's budget. I definitely want to be green, but I might need a little green first.
                LUCKIEST Guide
                Thanks for your reply's. Are there any tax deductions or credits to buying electric??
                    Ed O'Gee Adventurer
                    There are tax credits to everything that goes "green". The government gives credits for fuel effecient cars, energy efficient appliances and a whole host of other things. I try and do my part but alas, I find it hard to give up my gas guzzler Ford Expedition EL. It is hard to drive a little Toyota hybrid toting a family of 7. LOL!
                    LT Lawn Care Wayfarer
                    I don't have an electric car but I do have a new Chevy Silverado that users FlexFuel. But for my business we always use environmentally friendly products. No harmful herbicides or pesticides.
                      DomainDiva Ranger
                      The A123 Lithioum ion battery being used in commercial vehicles will be available for consumers in the 2010 model year. Thats the one I am waiting for.
                        Generation4 Adventurer
                        I am thinking about getting a 2008 prius for the benefit of the environment and fuel economy of course, not to mention it's very high tech.
                          LUCKIEST Guide
                          As Ed said 'There are tax credits to everything that goes "green". The government
                          gives credits for fuel effecient cars, energy efficient appliances and
                          a whole host of other thing.
                          Car companies are trying to help. The govt wants to increase miles per gallon.
                          We spend more time sitting in traffic. Round and round it goes.
                          Happy New Year, LUCKIEST
                            LUCKIEST Guide
                            Today's New York Times (Dec 18) in the Business Section
                            Feeding People, Fueling Cars. Some food prices are up sharply, and blame is being directed at the rising
                            production of ethanol, which is driving up the price of corn and the cost of producing dairy products
                            and meats. LUCKIEST
                                Archangel Adventurer
                                First, producing electricity, unless using nuclear power, is so filthy if we all drove electric cars the pollution problem would be horrendous. We could cover Nevada with solar cells, but that would be so expensive it would cost way more to power your electric car than your gas guzzler. What we need NOW is cheaper oil. Drill here, drill now, pay less. In 20 or 30 years when the many alternatives are better developed and actually cheap enough for the regular guy to afford, and we've weeded out the stupid ideas which seem to predominate at the moment, we won't need the oil any more and won't have to worry about it. For right now what we need is cheaper oil. We have enough right here in the USA, but are not allowed to access it for political reasons. Once we have the cheaper oil available we can let those in the process of developing these alternative sources do what they need to do. Those companies, like BP, Mobile, Exxon, General Motors, and many others are on the one hand the ones spending the billions to develop those solutions, and on the other hand are blamed for the problem to begin with. The biggest problem we have with this issue is politics, not technology or "corporate greed." The government makes WAY more on a gallon of gas than the oil companies do, but no one is asking them to cut their profits. The only thing that will fix this mess is YOUR VOTE. If they don't want to drill, or if they want to place the blame anywhere but on themselves, don't vote for them. It's our fault, we're the one's who vote for these people. Let the energy industry do what it does and keep the politics and other BS out of it.
                                snipperred Scout
                                Hey Luckiest. Cool thread.

I live in a rather small university town. It's great. You can get anywhere you want to in 15 minutes with minimal traffic- especially when school is out. The community has bike paths everywhere so getting your dry cleaning delivered to work means you can warm up to work.

The economics of gas prices are not as much of a factor as they are in more populated areas. Less money in the community means I think more people will stay with gas and gradually phase over to electric without the economic urgency. Some things come to mind in this case.

The electric cars with short term battery life make sense here now. To be honest, the little golf cart type cars are just not cool enough. Anyways, if you haven't already looked into the Tesla Motors car, now there's something attractive to anyone- an electric sports car with immediate torque available all the time. Next, they will come out with a family ride.

I keep wondering where all the electricity is going to come from to power these cars. 3 or 4 hours plugged in for 250 miles of performance is simple watt math. Where solar and alternative energy is looking to be hot given the current energy issues, just imagine what is going to happen with the demand when the majority of drivers do migrate.

I'm keeping my eye on the real estate and transfer of business into my geographic area over the next 20 years. One way or another, commute distance has got to raise the real estate values quite high.