Post a new topic
    12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 4, 2008 5:32 PM by numbrcrunchr


    Excellent Adventurer

      Does the IRS have workshops on how to process payroll should a small business decide that is the road they would like to take?
        • Re: Payroll
          BDS INC Adventurer
          Not sure about the IRS but you can go to a site like and their site provides all you need to do payroll on your own.
            • Re: Payroll
              Excellent Adventurer
              Is manually doing payroll that difficult to do today? I prefer getting my information from a specialist. Payroll is a part of a business that's very temperamental because it's connected with the IRS. Who better to know about the rules and regulations than the IRS. Why wouldn't they have workshops to teach small business owners? Why does everything, today, have to be point, click, send and you're done? I don't want some payroll company doing something that I can do myself, nor do I want to go to a website that I don't know, or doesn't have ".gov" in its address. I want to know every aspect of my business.
            • Re: Payroll
              LUCKIEST Guide
              Payroll is fairly easy. It would help to know more about you and your company.
              How many people do you have on payroll?? Do you have an Accountant??
              If you Google "payroll" you get ADP, H & R, Quickbooks and other payroll services for small businesses.
              • Re: Payroll
                DallasPayroll Newbie

                One of the major reasons the IRS does not have workshops on payroll preparation is that there are more than IRS regulations involved. You have IRS (Federal Requirements), State Regulations and maybe even local (County and/or City) requirements. The federal portion of payroll is not necessarily difficult if you understand payroll law. Yes, law. You need to check with someone local, ie an accountant or CPA, and ask them to teach you the payroll requirements in your area. If you just try to do something on the Internet or with the IRS, you might overlook a state or local issue and end up owing money. Remember, ignorance of the law is not an excuse.
                • Re: Payroll
                  Barbie Newbie
                  The IRS can be a great resource for many different things. You can go onto their websit at and look around. You can order things for free (I just order a 2008 calendar with all the tax dates listed that we need to know about) I think they offer some workshops and I think I ordered some CDs for the computer a few years ago. Check it out. Also take a look at some other websites like social security and small business administration. Our taxes go to support these, right? Might as well get as much as possible from them. Good luck.
                  • Re: Payroll
                    Lighthouse24 Ranger
                    The IRS has a "Virtual Small Business Tax Workshop" available on-line or on DVD that includes payroll taxes.

                    As DallasPayroll noted in a previous response, there's more to it than just the federal portion, so if you're seeking more detailed or specific training, you might try checking the continuing ed catalog of your local community college or university. You may have an accountant in your region who teaches a course there one evening a week, and it will only cost you a few dollars (if that -- in Texas, these courses are free to most Vets). Accountants and other professionals often teach continuing ed classes as a means of finding new small business clients -- so they are generally very helpful to someone just starting out. It's where I found my first accountant and my first attorney.
                    • Re: Payroll
                      Ed O'Gee Adventurer
                      If you are paying more than 4 or 5 employees I'd suggest that you find a good payroll company like ADP or Paychex. However BDS does have a good idea to look at
                      • Re: Payroll
                        LNichols Newbie
                        I work for a payroll company I can help you do your payroll. If you are still in need give me a call.
                        LaTonya Nichols
                        • Re: Payroll
                          Mybizfiler Adventurer


                          IRS has workshop on Small Business Tax. Payroll processing is a tedious work maintaining records and filing the payroll taxes on time, and it cost you by deploying manpower to handle payroll processing.


                          We at ICS, Inc.- makers of will certainly help processing your tedious payroll work and filing payroll taxes with much competitive pricing. ICS provides complete Payroll and HR Management solutions for small and medium size enterprises. We help you focus your time on Business Development and growth of your business rather than worrying about compliance and operational related issues. ICS provides a complete peace of mind service for the business owners like you...



                          ICS also offers Incorporation, Book Keeping & Accounting, HR & Business Consulting and many more services. ICS, Inc ( offers a wide range of services typically offered by a Big 5 Accounting firm and a CPA firm in the U.S.


                          Contact ICS today at 203 437 4083, e-mail -, or by accessing 24/7 chat page on for further information and details.


                          You can even visit our informational blog site at:

                          Best Regards,

                          • Re: Payroll
                            numbrcrunchr Newbie
                            We're a small S Corp ( in business for 7 years now!). I use for my payroll processing. I DO NOT want to have to keep up with the federal Social Security and Medicare rates, W-4 withholding adjustments, and various state taxes (withholding, unemployment, disability, etc.) That's Paycycle's job! They guarantee 100% accuracy. I selected to issue paychecks via direct deposit and only once a month (it's cheaper than having more frequent paydays). This payroll service also let's me include bonuses, and more importantly...S-Corp insurance. Do you know about this? I hope you do! ;-) This applies when the company pays for the medical premiums for anyone who has greater than a 2% ownership interest in the company. The premiums are taxable income (included on the W-2) to the employee/owner, but then there is a 50% deduction on the 1040. Your accountant will know about this.

                            Speaking of tax returns, you also have to issue the following forms on time: W-2 (including Copies A & D), 940, 941, and 944. The payroll service populates all the forms authomatically. I get a "to-do" note at sign-in to remind me to authorize the transmission of the forms to the IRS. I prepare our (currently) one state return myself because it's very easy. I could pay a little more and the service would do it, but I don't need that help right now with our current size.

                            They also give me a "to-do" note when it's time to pay the IRS the withheld taxes, and I trigger the payment in the system. It's not done automatically, but it's just two or three clicks of my mouse. Some payroll services (like ADP) will do it automatically if you don't want that responsibility.

                            So, for a few hundred dollars a year, they pretty much handle it all, and accurately and on time. That's why we chose to go with a payroll service.
                            • Re: Payroll
                              Faerie Wayfarer

                              I use BofA for my payroll services and it literally takes me 10 minutes a week - and 9 of that is adding up the hours worked. My employees love the direct deposit and they get their paystubs emailed to them. I don't have to think about tax filings because I get email reminders and the electronic filing is fast and easy.

                              The small fee is more than repaid in the time I save.
                              • Re: Payroll
                                numbrcrunchr Newbie
                                The IRS advertises some available services but doesn't necessarily provide the instructors. Go to and "Businesses" along the top row of button. Down the left side you'll see two items of interest:

                                "Small Business Events" - the IRS hase some topics on dvd, streaming video, webinars, and phone forums. Further down the list are all the states. Click on yours and see what's offered for small business tax workshops. In NJ, for example, the sessions are provided by SCORE or the NJ Small Business Development Center. If you haven't contacted SCORE yet, do it now! They're national and most of their services are FREE!

                                "Employment Taxes" - has everything you'll need to know about federal employment taxes. Now look to the left column and in the section titled "Small Business/Self-Employed Topics", click on "State Links". Now find your state. Here you'll find the connections to your state's taxing authority and you can find out about state employment taxes. (If a link is broken, just Google "(STATE_) Division of Taxation_". Even if your state does not have a personal income tax, there are other payroll-related taxes and insurance (like workers comp or other business tax), that you'll need to address. There are just 9 states that do not have a broad-based personal income tax: Alaska, Florida, Nevada, New Hampshire, South Dakota, Tennessee, Texas, Washington, and Wyoming. However, they usually have some other tax, like Florida's "intangibles" tax (i.e., on your savings, investments, etc. They're pretty smart...they don't tax the workers heavily, but with so many retirees living in Florida, the big fat retirement accounts/investments get taxed. OK, so it's less than 1%, but you get the idea.) There is also a link on the left for "Partners and Stakeholders". The 3rd link down is "Payroll and Practitioner Partners", which has more payroll information. There's so much information for a small business out there (cyberland), just start looking!

                                If you are using a CPA for your taxes, I'm sure he/she would be happy to get you started on the right foot if you want to handle it yourself. It will make their life a lot easier come tax time! However, you have to be sure you will know what taxes to withhold from the employee's payroll, what the company is responsible for paying itself, and how/when to file and turn over both pots of money to the IRS and the state. For example of having to keep up with tax changes, NJ is starting a new Paid Family Leave tax effective 1/1/09. It is assessed on EVERY employee's wages, regardless of how many employees are in the company. Predating this is the Federal law that entitles workers to 12 weeks of family leave, but it is unpaid and employers with fewer than 50 employees are exempt. While the new paid family leave bill covers all employers, those with fewer than 50 employees are not required to hold open jobs for workers on paid leave. So, my advice is to check with your state and stay current! Using a payroll service relieves you from having to keep current, but you'll need to know your tax liabilities when you do your budgeting and other financial projections. If you can't measure it, you can't manage it!

                                I hope you didn't find this too taxing! VBG